| FTBL NIL news. "Bryce is almost at seven figures" according to Saban.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Wow, I hope these kids keep their eyes on team goals.

In some ways, this reminds me a little of unregulated PAC money. How can anyone regulate who is actually paying the player, and could a Nike or Under Armor agree to a minimum NIL deal if a player signs with Oregon or Maryland? I remember when Troy State started their build-up as a football program, and Wiley Sanders wanted to sponsor the OL's scholarships and call it "The Sanders Line". Of course, they quickly found out it was illegal, at the time, but it's essentially here now.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
The rapper's son who is getting about 2 million a year from his dad's company.
Q, and his brother, have signed with Mobley and Sons. Another family connection.

I don't see how that can be regulated.

I still feel that whole Master P and his son's $2M is some kind of tax shelter they are working. His son ain't that good and is only getting gift money from his dad, nothing more, nothing less.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Saban was going to get asked about it tomorrow anyway, and he could have given a generic answer, but he made sure to word it the way he did. That is now a recruiting message being sent out all over via social media. Can guarantee it was going to be said tomorrow anyway in front of all the cameras and print media.

As for Bryce, good for him. I still think in the future a lot of this will change based on ROI for the companies throwing round all this money, but in some cases, that could mean even bigger deals... it's just all an unknown what it'll look like down the road (to me anyway).

TerryP

Ivory Club
Some may take a pay cut when they go to the NFL.
I just got a text from a friend of mine quoting Rodney Orr over on TI. He mentioned how there was a conference call about a year ago about the NIL and it was led by The University of Colorado. During that conference call he said that the most viewed and most profitable position in college football was going to be the quarterback at Alabama. There were over 150 schools involved in that call.

I'm not in the least bit surprised by this news.

It did raise my eyebrows a bit considering he's in Texas and their high school coaches convention. I'm not surprised he said it, but I'm definitely curious who's attention he caught. You and I both know it was deliberate.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
could a Nike or Under Armor agree to a minimum NIL deal if a player signs with Oregon or Maryland?

That is technically in violation of the NCAA rules

11. What is prohibited under the new policy?
Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:
• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed).
• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school.
• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.
• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

mando

Sideline Club
Ok I do not blame Young and Saban is certainly using it as a marketing tool for recruiting, with that said this is ridiculous in my old eyes opinion. Yes I know I am old school. Hear me clearly I do not blame Young but this is similar to uncontrolled salaries in pro sports this is on the people willing to pay it.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Ok I do not blame Young and Saban is certainly using it as a marketing tool for recruiting, with that said this is ridiculous in my old eyes opinion. Yes I know I am old school. Hear me clearly I do not blame Young but this is similar to uncontrolled salaries in pro sports this is on the people willing to pay it.
Chew on this one.

There's several here on the site who have said "they don't do social media" like Facebook, Twitter, Insta, etc.

Even if you didn't participate on those platforms, but signed up and followed Alabama players, you would literally be helping them get paid.

Do you sacrifice a few minutes to support Bama athletes on social media platforms?

XXL TideFan

Seer
Bama Club
We will definitely soon see who can stay focused and disciplined among players. I can see “the culture” of some teams being further corrupted beyond belief with the nearly untraceable pay. Every coach coaching against us is quietly telling everyone they recruit that they can guarantee them $1K a week year round or more. 85% of these kids probably have never seen that much steady income in their family. Remember we have had more than one player to have experienced homelessness at some point in their lives. No enforceable rules ……disaster coming.

Last edited:

mando

Sideline Club
Chew on this one.

There's several here on the site who have said "they don't do social media" like Facebook, Twitter, Insta, etc.

Even if you didn't participate on those platforms, but signed up and followed Alabama players, you would literally be helping them get paid.

Do you sacrifice a few minutes to support Bama athletes on social media platforms?
I follow the program. I do not do twitter or follow any individual. Of course when someone post something here I will go and read it.

BTW, Saban may never lose another game if you are going to give him this recruiting advantage.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
That is technically in violation of the NCAA rules

11. What is prohibited under the new policy?
Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:
• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed).
• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school.
• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.
• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

Yes, I know it can't be stated as being contingent on attendance, I mean under the table, wink/nod payments sheltered as NIL payments.

Davestwin

Sideline Club
The rapper's son who is getting about 2 million a year from his dad's company.
Q, and his brother, have signed with Mobley and Sons. Another family connection.

I don't see how that can be regulated.
It can’t be and that’s why it’s going to harm college football in ways no one’s even contemplating yet. That’s the way it always goes with “feel good” policies. The unintended consequences soon far overshadow the intended aims.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Chew on this one.

I'll join Facebook when I'm six months from retirement.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
How will the rest of the players that get nothing handle those that are making mint? We're going to find out in the coming years. Playing time is one thing but money is a different deal.

It will absolutely lead to some issues. Not speaking specifically at UA, just in general. It's human nature. If I were a player, and making anything beyond a decent amount of money from NIL, I'd explore every avenue possible to keep the terms and amounts under wraps.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
Yes, I know it can't be stated as being contingent on attendance, I mean under the table, wink/nod payments sheltered as NIL payments.
That already exists though, but more under the table. I think in states with laws it might be something the state itself would be interested in. Right now most are focusing on changing the law to allow the payments and put some framework around that, but I expect that to change into a focus on criminal charges for bribing a player soon enough. I could see some UGA supporters in the legislature wanting to ensure that anyone who paid a GA player just to go to Bama would go to jail.

Top Bottom