| MBB/WBB Next season's basketball roster. With three gone, five coming in, we'll have five returners.

mando

Sideline Club
I sure hope he’s looking hard for consistent 3 point shooters and if the 3’s are not falling on a particular night can adjust the offense to a different scheme. If not, it will be another frustrating season.
With his style that is just what happens. What he has to have is better ball handling and great defense to pull off wins on the bad offensive shooting nights. That is his formula for success.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Oats is hitting the portal pretty hard. The core of the team may not be on campus yet.
13 scholarships. It's my view we'll see four guys who we've already seen in Crimson next season along with Burnette as the core: the veterans in Oats system. As mentioned in the thread title there are five already coming in so we're left with three transfers.

It's a good core to build from assuming things work out the way I suspect. I'll take guys like Gary and Gurley with Bediako and Miles for "building blocks."

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
I'm starting to realize we don't need five star guys in this system. Most of those guys aren't role players or even team players, which is what this system needs. Like said above, give me consistent shooters of any size, as long as they hustle and Oats can turn them into winners.

mando

Sideline Club
I'm starting to realize we don't need five star guys in this system. Most of those guys aren't role players or even team players, which is what this system needs. Like said above, give me consistent shooters of any size, as long as they hustle and Oats can turn them into winners.
I think this system does need one super star like Kyra Lewis. In 2020 they had Herb Jones and JQ played well down the stretch. Need some stud play coming from somewhere that you can count on when things break down.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
I think this system does need one super star like Kyra Lewis. In 2020 they had Herb Jones and JQ played well down the stretch. Need some stud play coming from somewhere that you can count on when things break down.
A number of teams in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 did not have studs running their offense. Being blue bloods, the Final 4 does show some star power, but not many are household names like in year's past.

mando

Sideline Club
A number of teams in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 did not have studs running their offense. Being blue bloods, the Final 4 does show some star power, but not many are household names like in year's past.
I was referring more to your comment about Oats system not needing 5 stars. I think he does a need a Kyra or Sexton to really make it work with a few blue color guys. Blue color guys to bring the toughness on D and the one 5 star that can take over when things fall apart offensively and they will in his system.

mando

Sideline Club
Another roster spot is about to open for Coach Oats.

If he can get the money why not go for it. I personally think he needs more development but if he can get that in the NBA and get paid best of luck to him. I was shocked at how his year went honestly and it raises several red flags to me more so about Oat's than anything.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
If he can get the money why not go for it. I personally think he needs more development but if he can get that in the NBA and get paid best of luck to him. I was shocked at how his year went honestly and it raises several red flags to me more so about Oat's than anything.
JMO but the red flags are more about the player. Hope JD takes the money and runs. It's all about him anyway and not Bama but John has been trying to manage the one and done's at UK for years with some success and some years not so good. All coaches are now in the one and done with the portal.

mando

Sideline Club
JMO but the red flags are more about the player. Hope JD takes the money and runs. It's all about him anyway and not Bama but John has been trying to manage the one and done's at UK for years with some success and some years not so good. All coaches are now in the one and done with the portal.
It could be but I am still extremely disappointed in this years team. Something was not right and Oat's never got it corrected so I can't give him a free pass on what we saw.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
It could be but I am still extremely disappointed in this years team. Something was not right and Oat's never got it corrected so I can't give him a free pass on what we saw.
In order to correct what was wrong what if that meant cutting half the team during the year? Perhaps one or more of the players on that team will open up on what they viewed as the problems were the later part of this past season. I hope doesn't azz around with those players thinking of going pro this season like last. Support them but go sign players to take their spot while some pretty good players are in the portal (if you can actually get them).

Davestwin

Sideline Club
I agree, it is difficult to turn down 1st round money. I also think, IMO, he needs to return to school to work on his decision making with the ball and his outside shot.
I read an article a few weeks ago on him and the writer said JD would get better in one year with the G League than another with Bama. I just tried to find it but couldn’t quickly and I’m about to head into a meeting. I’ll check again when I get out.

mando

Sideline Club
In order to correct what was wrong what if that meant cutting half the team during the year? Perhaps one or more of the players on that team will open up on what they viewed as the problems were the later part of this past season. I hope doesn't azz around with those players thinking of going pro this season like last. Support them but go sign players to take their spot while some pretty good players are in the portal (if you can actually get them).
Logistically it would have been a challenge but if he really believed it was effort in my view yes you sit some players lots if you have to so you make a point it will not be tolerated. Easier said than done but play the walk-ons and give up a game or two. All of this sounds good on a sports message board.

Rolltide24

Century Club
How bad is the NCAA/NBA agreement that 1st round picks end up spending a year in the G league?

I did some research a year or 2 back and posted it on here about the number of early entrants and how many are never drafted. With many never spending a day in the league. For most, it’s the chance of a lifetime (free education and continued indoctrination of discipline) blown.

Top Bottom