| FTBL News about to break that will "...rock the college football world, ruin legacies, and could impact the balance of power out west?"

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
I remember in grade school. Summer break started ... last day of school.... Friday before memorial day.... and went through labor day. New school year started Tuesday after Labor Day

not these days for grade schools
70's and 80's it wasn't quite like that around here. We also started the day after Labor Day, but we usually went to the first Friday in June or last Friday in May. Well, for a while. Then we started the Friday before Labor Day for some stupid reason and lots of kids missed the first day but we still went to the first Friday in June/last Friday in May. I think it usually wound up we ended between May 30th and June 5th.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
I haven't read all of the allegations, but what are the odds that the whistleblower was someone who was simply pissed about ASU breaking COVID rules (not recruiting rules), so they tried to burn it all down? Regardless, they could give ASU the death penalty tomorrow and it ain't altering the balance of power out West. It would be similar to all the Red Lobsters around New Orleans closing and someone saying that balance of power in the NOLA restaurant industry just shifted.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Still ...Herm violating rules is some stretch...
I don't get what you're implying by "some stretch." Do you think this is being blown out of proportion? It's not speculation he was blatantly violating the NCAA's mandated dead period.

Is this not another situation where the sports media gave a guy a platform—hell, built it for him and then put him on it—to speak on societal issues and then that individual fell short of what the viewing public was led to believe?

OldPlayer

Bama Club
I don't get what you're implying by "some stretch." Do you think this is being blown out of proportion? It's not speculation he was blatantly violating the NCAA's mandated dead period.

Is this not another situation where the sports media gave a guy a platform—hell, built it for him and then put him on it—to speak on societal issues and then that individual fell short of what the viewing public was led to believe?
No, it’s just a coach trying to cheat by not obeying the rules.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club

Apparently correct as was @OldPlayer post...
Just had him in high regard....from who others did also...including Nick by having him address his guys...
While really never knowing...

but ...charged..not convicted...yet anyway

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
TBH I respect Edwards and Pierce for disregarding idiotic rules. Setting aside the stupidity and politicization of the entire Covid mess, I think it's good to stand up to politically motivated rules which reserve power for the select few and create a culture of blind obedience and fear. That being said, it seems like Edwards didn't have control of his program if he had so many disaffected staff members who were willing to destroy their program to save their own hides. And as always happens, the only ones who will really be punished are the student athletes who are caught up in the political games of the ones who wield the power. Regardless, ASU will definitely be made an example of for fighting the narrative.

TerryP

Ivory Club
TBH I respect Edwards and Pierce for disregarding idiotic rules. Setting aside the stupidity and politicization of the entire Covid mess, I think it's good to stand up to politically motivated rules which reserve power for the select few and create a culture of blind obedience and fear.
Arizona State had three games cancelled this past fall because of COVID results within their program. We know they had a very lackadaisical attitude based on what we're seeing here.

Those decisions cost a lot of kids the ability to play games this season. I have a hard time respecting anyone who takes from others: in this case the opportunity to simply play the game they enjoy.

I believe there's a discussion about how this was handled on conference levels. Seeing the SEC and ACC play their schedules compared to how many teams others played? Easy difference to see there, right?

Arizona State, in this story, is an outlier in my view.

That being said, it seems like Edwards didn't have control of his program if he had so many disaffected staff members who were willing to destroy their program to save their own hides. And as always happens, the only ones who will really be punished are the student athletes who are caught up in the political games of the ones who wield the power.
I'm curious as to how you think "Edwards didn't have control of his program" when he's pictured with the recruits that were there illegally?

The only ones caught here are not innocent student athletes. One of their most high profile signees was one of the guys taking these visits. Here we're going to have some fallout, sure. But there's some players on that squad who had full knowledge of what was going on.
ASU will definitely be made an example of for fighting the narrative.
In criminal courts we can see a case of assault and then aggravated assault: the later a case for upping the punishment.

In this case we see blatant recruiting violations from multiple staff members. I suspect there will be an aggravated clause here; subconsciously by the infractions group. They'll be sanctioned due to the dead period violations and I suspect those sanctions to be greater than what would normally be handed down.

The committee will be aggravated because it was during the COVID lockdowns.

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
Those decisions cost a lot of kids the ability to play games this season. I have a hard time respecting anyone who takes from others: in this case the opportunity to simply play the game they enjoy.

To me this is exactly what Alabama did to their fans by forcing them out of their seats and rebuilding a higher end section all in the name of the almighty dollar. That's taking from others and giving to someone else that can outbid them. Talking a lot of old donors that have been through a lot with the program and hung in there only to be told "we're taking your seats unless you pay us a lot more money". Taking what they love away from them to me falls directly in line with your comment here, yet I'm pretty sure you were ok with that. If I'm wrong and you didn't approve of that I greatly apologize, but I feel like I remember us going back and forth a few times on it.

Last edited:

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
@TerryP
You are throwing all the shade on ASU ... and deserves what they get

Let’s remember this,..

The HSers and their families knew the rules too...
And ...I liken it to a person receiving stolen property ( as a backdoor correlation)
They knew it was illegal...a violation...and still were voluntary involved....( Reggie Bush and family come to mind...in a complete different sense though)

i know .... it doesn’t happen often... but there is guilt there also...
Only my opinion I know,..

TerryP

Ivory Club
@TerryP
No. I'm not. Far from it, in fact. From the earlier post this morning ...
The only ones caught here are not innocent student athletes. One of their most high profile signees was one of the guys taking these visits. Here we're going to have some fallout, sure. But there's some players on that squad who had full knowledge of what was going on.
...and your opinion here is ...
And ...I liken it to a person receiving stolen property ( as a backdoor correlation)
They knew it was illegal...a violation...and still were voluntary involved....( Reggie Bush and family come to mind...in a complete different sense though)

...which mirrors what I said earlier.

TerryP

Ivory Club
To me this is exactly what Alabama did to their fans by forcing them out of their seats and rebuilding a higher end section all in the name of the almighty dollar. That's taking from others and giving to someone else that can outbid them. Talking a lot of old donors that have been through a lot with the program and hung in there only to be told "we're taking your seats unless you pay us a lot more money". Taking what they love away from them to me falls directly in line with your comment here, yet I'm pretty sure you were ok with that. If I'm wrong and you didn't approve of that I greatly apologize, but I feel like I remember us going back and forth a few times on it.
It's apples to oranges. I don't see the comparison in the least.

One, cheating. The other? The cost of living tends to rise the older we get and that includes our entertainment budgets.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
@TerryP

Let’s remember this,..

Only my opinion I know,..
I am all for those that participated getting the shaft....players, coaches, and families.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Buddy...i will say this.....what they did to those ST holders in the mid west stands who have been there since the west side was built...
Was the greatest example of pure greed i have seen in a long time...
Know a bunch...and they love bama...but to the AD....they wouldnt give him a life raft ifhe was drowning in the ocean...on a creek...in a bathtub...
Tp this day...if they wanted more high rent boxes.. they should have put them in the SEnd ....where nobody likes anyway...and are all newbees for seating...
The boxes are there for partying...have HD tvs...a status seating...

BamaFan334

Crimson Tide Club
It's apples to oranges. I don't see the comparison in the least.

One, cheating. The other? The cost of living tends to rise the older we get and that includes our entertainment budgets.

Cost of living? Nah, it was a shiny new toy. Cost of living implies same conditions, just inflated price which I would understand.

Cheating? Maybe I'm not fully understanding this story, but I'm not seeing how they benefitted from something where others didn't.

In the end though, anything costing players does suck. It's why I hate the NCAA punishing players not even in school while an invested time frame is punished.

Top Bottom