| FTBL New fundraising campaign, dubbed "The Crimson Standard" (*UPDATED COLEMAN INFO*)

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Unless....UNLESS you and 200 of your closest friends have a million you'd like to donate to the fund.

Coincidently, this from Byrne two days ago ...

Never heard Alabama say they didn't have money to go first class
600 million overall and cant put a third toward one of top 3 sports...hmmmmm...presently
With 75-90 million for BD upgrades that include a " social area" to keep the students from " leaving early " ( who really gives a shit when the game is 54-0 if anybody leaves early) And bigger corner video boards.....

Last edited:

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Never heard Alabama say they didn't have money to go first class
Much like we've not heard or seen a thing from UA that indicates they are not going to have a state of the art facility in Coleman?

There is so much missed information among fans about the fundraising campaign and quite frankly I'm not sure where any of it comes from.

600 million overall and cant put a third toward one of top 3 sports...hmmmmm...presently
With 75-90 million for BD upgrades that include a " social area" to keep the students from " leaving early " ( who really gives a shit when the game is 54-0 if anybody leaves early) And bigger corner video boards.....
Here is where I believe you're missing the point.

If they haven't already, they will start a new addition to the Mal Moore complex in a matter of days. One of the things on that agenda is a locker room for former Alabama players who are in the leagues. It seems you're mentioning the "big three" without considering it means more than just the stadium. Having NFL players, as one example, back on campus is a great move. That's just one of the areas in the Moore complex that's included in this next series of improvements and renovations.

The comment "cant put a third toward one of top 3 sports" is incorrect. The very first proposal—which has since been amended and the dollar amount raised—had 250+ of the 600 MM going to BDS alone.

And then we have the swimming complex, the rowing facilities, the golf facilities, and there's other projects around that deal with the other sports as well. As exampled by Rhodes having improvements scheduled. (The swimming complex should have been done years ago. Track is woefully behind the times in spite of improvements shown by recent hires.)

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
You realize changing the seating in Coleman is a major part of the plans, right? Your disappointed Bama didn't scale down when they are reducing capacity by close to 5000?

I'm only disappointed in the re-creation of an old theme. 22 million dollars went to Coleman updates just a few years ago. It looked just like it pretty much always had to me, with the exception of a cool scoreboard. What I want is a basketball venue that doesn't cater to all the lavish taste of a teenager. I want a true home court advantage. Loud, on top of the action, and not a lousy seat in the place. What could be a greater gift to a basketball player than an obnoxious crowd jacking up the home team? And yes, the barn was smart enough to build such a place. I'm sure they got the idea from some other venue, so it should be OK to get us one of those.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
There is so much missed information among fans about the fundraising campaign and quite frankly I'm not sure where any of it comes from.
I want a true home court advantage. Loud, on top of the action, and not a lousy seat in the place. What could be a greater gift to a basketball player than an obnoxious crowd jacking up the home team? And yes, the barn was smart enough to build such a place. I'm sure they got the idea from some other venue, so it should be OK to get us one of those.
Here's an example of why I mentioned there's so much missed information which has led to a lot of misinformed opinions. This is undoubtedly something you missed (and it's in the video, btw.)

Personally, I'd rather have had the student section moved behind the benches ... but that damn press and their need for seating. 😈

3.jpg

I'm only disappointed in the re-creation of an old theme. 22 million dollars went to Coleman updates just a few years ago. It looked just like it pretty much always had to me, with the exception of a cool scoreboard.
I'm left wondering so I have to ask. How much of Coleman have you actually seen outside of the basketball arena?

While it's true one of the renovations was a new scoreboard (that was basically what was highlighted when it debuted) what's not being mentioned are the other areas that aren't seen everyday by your average fan. Renovations to the lower gym, improvement medical and rehab facilities for other sports like gymnastics and volleyball, seats added for students and the crowd, a renovation of the practice facility, and a host of other things were also done during that phase. Since they weren't in the public eye they've seemingly been dismissed or forgotten.

What I want is a basketball venue that doesn't cater to all the lavish taste of a teenager.
The fan lounge, new balcony above the fan lounge, and basically what we can call "luxury packages" aren't designed to cater to the tastes of a teen. It's meant for the adult crowd; the money people.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Attendance numbers for those two sports? I'd have to look it up to grab the exact numbers but I can say over the last seven or eight years the totals have remained the same (give or take a few hundred.) The ladies (GymTide) average over 12K per meet with basketball pulling a little over that number.

I believe you're being facetious with your indoor track thought. It does lead me to a thought. I don't know of any NFL stadium which also serves as a track and field venue. I wouldn't be surprised if there is one. I just don't remember it being something pointed out in the past. I do recall Franklin Field in Philly hosting Penn relays (also home to Penn football.) A venue of that size would certainly require the current facility to be razed. It's not big enough (and goes against the goal of making the environment more intimate in Coleman.)
Indoor track doesn't use a 400m track (once around the football field). It uses a shorter, 200m track. Whether or not it could be done is up to the architects. My point is that Alabama hasn't maximized the potential use of a coliseum-type facility.

Top Bottom