| FTBL New fundraising campaign, dubbed "The Crimson Standard" (*UPDATED COLEMAN INFO*)

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
'he was most impressed with Alabama’s facilities, citing the barber shop, game room and weight room as examples ' So for all the people who said these kids dont come here for barbershops and different colored jerseys and such......well there you go. This stuff matters to these kids. I say Bama is gonna have to keep ahead of the curve in these areas to keep drawing top talent.
And there are some silly rabbits on this forum that think redoing "coleman" was better than a state of the art facility.... Kids like bling. Kids play bball. Do it in football to be top of the world. Wont do it in bball cause mediocrity is okkk

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
And there are some silly rabbits on this forum that think redoing "coleman" was better than a state of the art facility.... Kids like bling. Kids play bball. Do it in football to be top of the world. Wont do it in bball cause mediocrity is okkk

Growing up I got a lot of free tickets to UAB games when Gene Bartow started the basketball team. Those first few years they played at JCC downtown. But when they started playing in their new stadium on the Southside and I saw how much smaller it was I was a little disappointed at first. Then the fans got there and it got wild. When I left I was thinking less was more.

Pretty much why I was disappointed Bama didn't scale down and build a crackerbox gym. Put all the fans on top of the action and loud enough to cause hearing loss. Saying that Coleman is gonna morph into that type of homecourt advantage seems a longshot.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
I have to admit Gus' reaction is pretty top notch character wise. Didn't drill the kid, but put his arm around the kid when he made the decision.

Also, clever pitch by Coach Saban.
It generally goes both ways...Gus actually seems pretty ok...for anAU person....but they are kidsand you gotta let them move on....
We all know....getting the right kid is great...the development is equally as great....

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
And there are some silly rabbits on this forum that think redoing "coleman" was better than a state of the art facility...
We're back to this again.

What part of the plans aren't "state of the art?" The exterior?
Pretty much why I was disappointed Bama didn't scale down and build a crackerbox gym. Put all the fans on top of the action and loud enough to cause hearing loss. Saying that Coleman is gonna morph into that type of homecourt advantage seems a longshot.
You realize changing the seating in Coleman is a major part of the plans, right? Your disappointed Bama didn't scale down when they are reducing capacity by close to 5000?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Put lipstick on a pig. Still a pig
But thats ok. Mediocrity is fine for some
My friend, you still haven't answered my question. What part of the plans are not state of the art? All one can point to is the frame of the building itself.

Gutting the building is not putting lipstick on a pig. Far from it as a matter of fact.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
My friend, you still haven't answered my question. What part of the plans are not state of the art? All one can point to is the frame of the building itself.

Gutting the building is not putting lipstick on a pig. Far from it as a matter of fact.
Haven't seen the plans... Will there still be weird corners?!

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

5:30 minutes worth of ooohs and ahhhhhs!!!

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@Tidestalker ⬆

In layman's terms...the interior of the building is going to be smaller due to a few factors including the concourse around the court (exterior of the interior?) is going to be expanded.

A LOT of the interior structuring is going to be removed, then rebuilt. IE: sight lines will be changing as one result.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score

Big difference between....a state of the art..and the second..third...fourth...rebuilding
Notice they didnt rebuild Ga Dome...and many others...
They can reconfigure seats...put ribbon board up to advertise on..redo dressing rooms ....etc still...what it is...
But we will see...

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
@Tidestalker ⬆

In layman's terms...the interior of the building is going to be smaller due to a few factors including the concourse around the court (exterior of the interior?) is going to be expanded.

A LOT of the interior structuring is going to be removed, then rebuilt. IE: sight lines will be changing as one result.
Right on. Looking forward to seeing the new digs

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Big difference between....a state of the art..and the second..third...fourth...rebuilding
Notice they didnt rebuild Ga Dome...and many others...
They can reconfigure seats...put ribbon board up to advertise on..redo dressing rooms ....etc still...what it is...
But we will see...
Bama isn't Arthur Blank so a comparison of the old Georgia Dome and the new MB stadium just doesn't fit (and that's setting aside the fact that Georgia residents are footing a 700 million dollar bill through taxes.) The mere point of it being a 1.6 BILLION dollar stadium should remove any consideration of comparing the two.

I understand the "raze and build" support. I believe many of those supporters aren't familiar with the plans.

I simply don't understand how one can look at a building that's been gutted and rebuilt as anything other than state of the art when that's been the goal from day one of The Crimson Standard. Its been described as a state of the art coliseum, built within the structure that is Coleman (a Quonset hut look.)

(As an aside...I'm in the middle of rebuilding a guest house structure into a "state of the art" workshop at a friends house. It's a "geek house" as well. That was all about the bones of the structure, cost, and logistics.)

In doing so, are they not building a state of the art facility? That coincides with club seating and other amenities that be included. Let's mot forget there is a lot of Coleman that never meets the eye. It's a group that's just overlooked and will benefit from the renovations.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
We're back to this again.

What part of the plans aren't "state of the art?" The exterior?

You realize changing the seating in Coleman is a major part of the plans, right? Your disappointed Bama didn't scale down when they are reducing capacity by close to 5000?
I don't know why they're so focused on a two-sport/event arena (basketball and gymnastics only). When was the last time they used it as a concert venue? What about a configuration that would include indoor track? If you want to make money, it's important to configure it so it can hold multiple events.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
@TerryP @OldPlayer
I am sure it will be "fine". ( as in the commercials of things that will be "fine"...)
People smarter than me made decision. Its done. So be it! I guess. How many days to KO.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I don't know why they're so focused on a two-sport/event arena (basketball and gymnastics only). When was the last time they used it as a concert venue? What about a configuration that would include indoor track? If you want to make money, it's important to configure it so it can hold multiple events.
Attendance numbers for those two sports? I'd have to look it up to grab the exact numbers but I can say over the last seven or eight years the totals have remained the same (give or take a few hundred.) The ladies (GymTide) average over 12K per meet with basketball pulling a little over that number.

I believe you're being facetious with your indoor track thought. It does lead me to a thought. I don't know of any NFL stadium which also serves as a track and field venue. I wouldn't be surprised if there is one. I just don't remember it being something pointed out in the past. I do recall Franklin Field in Philly hosting Penn relays (also home to Penn football.) A venue of that size would certainly require the current facility to be razed. It's not big enough (and goes against the goal of making the environment more intimate in Coleman.)

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
People smarter than me made decision. Its done. So be it! I guess.
Unless....UNLESS you and 200 of your closest friends have a million you'd like to donate to the fund.

Coincidently, this from Byrne two days ago ...

Top Bottom