| FTBL New fundraising campaign, dubbed "The Crimson Standard" (*UPDATED COLEMAN INFO*)

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Our stadium, with the latest expansion, is, as Vern would say, symmetrically perfect. Now we want to go back to the giant Megatron scoreboard, put in a fun center? Ugh. We have the perfect stadium now and it's pretty much complete. This thing is going to look like a lot of the professional teams that can't figure out if they are a stadium or a theme park.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Email from the AD shortly after the announcement.

-----------------------------

We are excited to share that The Crimson Standard: A Capital Initiative for Alabama Athletics was announced today at a press conference by Director of Athletics, Greg Byrne, President Stuart Bell and Coach Nick Saban.

All projects and phasing assignments are subject to The University of Alabama Board of Trustees approval, presidential approval and fundraising success.

The Crimson Standard, a 10-year, $600 million fundraising initiative, will transform our facilities. This investment will provide the environment necessary to:
  • Recruit the best student-athletes
  • Provide the support and training to keep our current student-athletes and coaches nationally competitive
  • Provide the most enjoyable game-day experience for all fans
Nearly every facility within the Athletics Department will be enhanced and some will be completely renovated and modernized. Three of the facilities that will receive extensive renovations through The Crimson Standard are Bryant-Denny Stadium, Coleman Coliseum, and the Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility.

1534460965880.png

Phase 1 of The Crimson Standard will focus on enhancing student-athlete and recruiting areas, creating new premium seating opportunities, and other game-day amenities at Bryant-Denny Stadium. These renovations will maintain and enhance the competitive recruiting advantage for our storied football program while creating the premier gameday experience for our fans and supporters. Further, upon completion of The Crimson Standard, all fans will enjoy an improved game-day experience as concession areas, restrooms and main concourses will be renovated and expanded, and new amenities will be added.

Areas of the Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility that impact our student-athletes will receive extensive renovations during the first phase of The Crimson Standard. Those areas include the locker room, medical treatment facility, the weight room, and the creation of a new Sports Science Center. Additionally, our men’s and women’s golf program will receive significant improvements and Rhoads Stadium will be upgraded as part of this phase.

The timing details and specific projects for Phases 2 and 3 including Coleman Coliseum, and the premium seating that will be available, will be announced at a later date.

For more information about the renovations coming to Bryant-Denny Stadium and information about how to become involved with The Crimson Standard, visit crimsontidefoundation.org or call 205-348-9727.

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

We are excited to share that The Crimson Standard: A Capital Initiative for Alabama Athletics was announced today at a press conference by Director of Athletics, Greg Byrne, President Stuart Bell and Coach Nick Saban.

All projects and phasing assignments are subject to The University of Alabama Board of Trustees approval, presidential approval and fundraising success.

The Crimson Standard, a 10-year, $600 million fundraising initiative, will transform our facilities. This investment will provide the environment necessary to:
  • Provide the support and training to keep our current student-athletes and coaches nationally competitive
Nearly every facility within the Athletics Department will be enhanced and some will be completely renovated and modernized. Three of the facilities that will receive extensive renovations through The Crimson Standard are Bryant-Denny Stadium, Coleman Coliseum, and the Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility.

Phase 1 of The Crimson Standard will focus on enhancing student-athlete and recruiting areas, creating new premium seating opportunities, and other game-day amenities at Bryant-Denny Stadium. These renovations will maintain and enhance the competitive recruiting advantage for our storied football program while creating the premier gameday experience for our fans and supporters. Further, upon completion of The Crimson Standard, all fans will enjoy an improved game-day experience as concession areas, restrooms and main concourses will be renovated and expanded, and new amenities will be added.

Areas of the Mal M. Moore Athletic Facility that impact our student-athletes will receive extensive renovations during the first phase of The Crimson Standard. Those areas include the locker room, medical treatment facility, the weight room, and the creation of a new Sports Science Center. Additionally, our men’s and women’s golf program will receive significant improvements and Rhoads Stadium will be upgraded as part of this phase.

The timing details and specific projects for Phases 2 and 3 including Coleman Coliseum, and the premium seating that will be available, will be announced at a later date.

For more information about the renovations coming to Bryant-Denny Stadium and information about how to become involved with The Crimson Standard, visit crimsontidefoundation.org or call 205-348-9727.
I'm not really digging the order.

Of course, we know that football is the tail that wags the dog here. But as others have stated, BDS is okay as-is. For now, at least. But Coleman has been in much more need of renovation for quite some time now. The last "renovation" was just a face-lift that basically put lipstick on an ugly, outdated pig.

We need Coleman gutted and renovated NOW (as in, starting demo after the last fan walks out from our last home game in February). NOT 5-6 years down the road.

Coleman is in a much more Dire need of renovation than BDS right now..

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Agree.

But the South End Zone work isn't going to complete anytime soon either.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Agree.

But the South End Zone work isn't going to complete anytime soon either.

Well Clemson and LSU scheduled home and homes in the mid 2020's, so him using a fundraiser and capital project as essential blackmail is not very flattering.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the massive video board. At some point, it will be a distraction to players on the field. I also don't like the draft boards on the outside of the stadium. Right now the architecture of BDS fits with the campus. I don't want it to look like U of Phoenix Stadium in AZ. Internally, I'm concerned with all the bar views in the video. There's enough alcohol in the stadium without selling it to the highest bidder.

mhardiman

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the massive video board. At some point, it will be a distraction to players on the field. I also don't like the draft boards on the outside of the stadium. Right now the architecture of BDS fits with the campus. I don't want it to look like U of Phoenix Stadium in AZ. Internally, I'm concerned with all the bar views in the video. There's enough alcohol in the stadium without selling it to the highest bidder.
Thank you! exactly what I mean! I hope these "improvements" to BDS gets kicked way on down the future to where we see multiple revisions to something that's not an eyesore. I would also like to know why we are following the tread of reducing capacity when we have 20,000 plus people waiting list wanting to become season ticket holders? You want to fix the problem about empty seats then you reduce the student section greatly and give those seats to Tide Pride; that will fix that problem.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
^^^If they're going to remove 2/3 of the south upperdeck (which I don't like) they have to add seats back in somehow. I'm surprised U1 and U2 seating remains as is; I was expecting it to get ripped out and adding skyboxes on each side of the pressbox. I hate the exterior to the stadium I'm seeing as well; It looks like an ugly modern NFL stadium/downed flying saucer. This is a college stadium on a college campus; it needs brick and mortar and arches... with little glass.

An exterior a little more like this is what I would prefer.

And you're like...

The ONLY one with those sentiments.
No, not the only one. I agree with @mhardiman

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Welp, one of the contended questions about Coleman has been answered. Looks like they're going to completely gut the arena, rotate the playing surface 90 degrees, and basically add a upper deck for seating.

Biggest upgrade is moving the seating closer to the floor, and putting the student section right ON TOP of the bench.

Thank God.
How do you see them rotating the playing surface? Based on the shape of the building, they can't.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Not happy they are going to remove seats! Personally, I would rather see them add seats than to put up a jumbo tron.
Love the idea of a complete renovation of Coleman!

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Welp, one of the contended questions about Coleman has been answered. Looks like they're going to completely gut the arena, rotate the playing surface 90 degrees, and basically add a upper deck for seating.

Biggest upgrade is moving the seating closer to the floor, and putting the student section right ON TOP of the bench.

Thank God.
How do you see them rotating the playing surface? Based on the shape of the building, they can't.
Does it not run parallel with the length of the dome shape currently?
I was last in there just a few months ago for some gym meets and could've sworn it did..

The rendering in the animated plans appears to be rotated 90 degrees so that it will lie perpendicular to said length of the dome shape.

Then again, I've only attended about 20 basketball games and 5 gym meets in the last 20 years, so I wasn't giving detailed attention to the directional relationship of the floor with the ceiling.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score

Thank God.
Does it not run parallel with the length of the dome shape currently?
I was last in there just a few months ago for some gym meets and could've sworn it did..

The rendering in the animated plans appears to be rotated 90 degrees so that it will lie perpendicular to said length of the dome shape.

Then again, I've only attended about 20 basketball games and 5 gym meets in the last 20 years, so I wasn't giving detailed attention to the directional relationship of the floor with the ceiling.
From the front door, the court runs perpendicular (the baskets are towards the sides of the building). This allows the sideline seating to rise up higher than the concourse. They will be able to knock out several rows of seats where you walk in from the concourse and have a wider walkway inside the arena and easier access to seats in the middle.

doemasters

The Rowdy One
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I wonder where they will move all of the statues to, when watching I did not notice them in the plans but maybe they just didn't add them in

M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Some perspective on Alabama's facility changes.

Just eight years ago this month Alabama rolled out the latest expansion of Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Adding more than 9,600 seats to the south end zone, the stadium was finally mostly symmetrical again. That was 2010 coming off the first of Nick Saban's national titles at Alabama.

After No. 5, the school is reimagining that $65 million project as part of the $288 million in updates announced Thursday.

Why, you ask?

A lot has changed in less than a decade.

That 2010 expansion came toward the end of the building frenzy in college football that emphasized capacity. There were 34 new luxury boxes added back then along with two 45-person party suites to go with the 8,500 bleacher seats up top. Half of those slots went to the student section, which added 2,000 to make their bloc 17,000 amid growing enrollment.

A picture in the June 27 edition of The Birmingham News showed athletics director Mal Moore proudly posing in the stadium with the south end zone project wrapping up.

Moore at the time said the demand for tickets pushed the waiting list past 10,000. There was a need for more luxury boxes, too.
"All of that said build it bigger," Moore said. "So, we have."

At the time, the 101,821 seats made Bryant-Denny Stadium the fifth-largest in college stadium. It's now No. 7. Texas A&M and LSU moved past Alabama in the final days of the seating capacity arms race.

Meanwhile, the downsizing began elsewhere.

Michigan Stadium remains the largest at 107,601 even after dropping more than 2,000 seats in favor of increased premium options. Penn State plans to drop more than 3,500 seats from the 106,572-seat Beaver Stadium that ranks second. And at Tennessee, Neyland Stadium seats 102,455, which is down more than 2,000 from its peak.

Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne said he didn't know the exact capacity of post-renovation Bryant-Denny Stadium. It'll likely be less than 100,000, he said. Some of the seating lost to the video board will be made up on the student terrace that creates standing room.

That's part of the evolution in stadium design that allows for different experiences beyond traditional seating in bleachers.

Those seats that will be axed haven't always been occupied in their brief lifetime. Byrne said the lost bleacher space "had been in
an area we have a hard time getting our students to be in and stay during the game."

It's also no secret that sellouts aren't necessarily the expectation for every game. Single-game tickets are still for sale through the school for all home games outside of Auburn and Texas A&M. Mississippi State, Missouri and Texas A&M each returned tickets from their visitors allotment and seats for the November visit from FCS foe The Citadel are being sold for as little as $40 face value.

That student terrace area also creates more money-making opportunities. And make no mistake about it, this is not designed to be revenue neutral. Putting 10 luxury suites in the area currently occupied by the press box will alone add $50 million to the project.

New club offerings come with suggested contributions of $10,000 apiece for the champions and terrace levels. A loge box has a suggested gift of $150,000 plus $16,000 a year for four tickets.

The final phase of this big project will expand concourses and update restrooms and concessions. Byrne touched on the bottleneck that comes on the west sideline with ramps and entrances packed into a small area with wasted space outside the gate.

There will be more room to move about (and buy things) when the footprint of the in-stadium area extends as far as the curb.

Byrne was quick to point out all of this requires the proper approvals from the board of trustees and president. It's also hard to imagine a world where that governing body throws up too many roadblocks for Alabama football facilities.

"I think we built what Alabama needs," Mal Moore said after expanding the soon-to-be reduced stadium, "and what the name Crimson Tide deserves."

Those needs have just changed in the eight years since.

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
A few reasons why Alabama's rethinking Bryant-Denny Stadium

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score

I'm not really digging the order.

Of course, we know that football is the tail that wags the dog here. But as others have stated, BDS is okay as-is. For now, at least. But Coleman has been in much more need of renovation for quite some time now. The last "renovation" was just a face-lift that basically put lipstick on an ugly, outdated pig.

We need Coleman gutted and renovated NOW (as in, starting demo after the last fan walks out from our last home game in February). NOT 5-6 years down the road.

Coleman is in a much more Dire need of renovation than BDS right now..
2022 is the only available date for it to be ready. They'll be playing some games off campus and arenas like the BJCC won't be through with their renovations until 2021 (projected.)

There's another way to look at this. I've seen a few (most the Debbie-downer type of crowd) still suggesting CAJ won't be here long. The fact he's behind these changes and contributing to what he'd like to see tells me those fearing him leaving are getting caught up in a bit of paranoia.
I would also like to know why we are following the tread of reducing capacity when we have 20,000 plus people waiting list wanting to become season ticket holders?
This is a little confusing. Perhaps ambiguous is a better word. Yes, there is a large waiting list. But these are not all people trying to join Tide Pride. There's a good number of them wanting to move up in their levels that are included in these numbers.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
AD Byrne was on Tide 102.9 yesterday with Wimp & Barry talking about this. He talks about the fundraising effort and some of the reasoning/ideas.

Deerslayr84

Registered
Reaction score
Not happy they are going to remove seats! Personally, I would rather see them add seats than to put up a jumbo tron.
Love the idea of a complete renovation of Coleman!
Add seats? You cant really be serious! You do see all the empty seats by the end of nearly every game and at the half of the no name games. If they reduce seating maybe the emptiness will be nonexistent. Add seats just for more empty seats?!! Thats why you arent making the decisions.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I too like the idea of more brick and mortar as opposed to all the glass. Good mock-up.

I think Bama is trying to be a little proactive as to Joe-blow fan as well. Rich folk will always be able to afford all the nice stuff that comes with all the amenities offered. By reducing the seating some, they can combat the post Saban fall-off that is bound to happen. All colleges are struggling to get AIS (ass in seats) because all the games are on TV, and in HD to boot. Look at A-day. First year there, they closed the gates because so many people were there. Now we are doing good to fill up the lower bowl. That is with Saban there and encouraging fans to show up. It's coming and I think Bama is doing the right thing by downsizing some. It will be easier to hide no one in the "play/fan zone" than an empty seat in the nose bleeds. I would like to stay above the 100k mark, but we will see.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I think Bama is trying to be a little proactive
Exactly what we're about to see.

Does it make you shudder to think back to the days...and how the school wasn't putting money back into the athletic facilities. It wasn't the race it is today but my god Bama was practically sitting on the sidelines.

Top Bottom