| RECRUIT National Signing Day - Wednesday, the 6th. (How does Alabama finish out its 2019 class?)

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Missing on To’oto’o stung a little. Ealy was a long shot but we did get him for an OV which was better than nothing. Kid likely never steps on campus at Ole Piss anyways due to MLB.
Fuller was what I thought might be a backup plan should Sopsher stay in state.

Probably the biggest shocker of the day had to be Pickens inking with UGA. Flowbee using it as a big PR stunt since I don’t think anyone has confidence in him qualifying. Is Pickens their Nadab Joseph for 2019?

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
Ivory Club
Reaction score
This won't end well for the coaches at Southern Cal and UCLA.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score
This won't end well for the coaches at Southern Cal and UCLA.

That’s a stat hard to dispel. Not sure who it is, but the West coast (LA) is primed for a Saban/Pete Carroll type coach that could take over the PAC12. I’m a pretty big college football fan and I can’t tell you who was even good last season. I guess Washington (who lost to a mediocre Aubarn team).

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
We got the one that will give Bama back to that Championship way! I keep reading not just from some of you but some of the big head writers. It a rebuilding year for Bama. Can't wait to see what Bama does this coming year!

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
Ivory Club
Reaction score
That’s a stat hard to dispel. Not sure who it is, but the West coast (LA) is primed for a Saban/Pete Carroll type coach that could take over the PAC12. I’m a pretty big college football fan and I can’t tell you who was even good last season. I guess Washington (who lost to a mediocre Aubarn team).
The crazy thing, Chip did better last year signing the #19 rated class (#4 Pac-12 class) vs this year #43 rated class (#7 Pac-12 class).

It really makes zero sense how you drop that far in recruiting in your second year as a head coach. Some context, he was hired ~4 weeks prior to ESP in 2017 and somehow manages to land a better class than having a year to recruit and further build relationships. Strange.

I suspected he was gonna miss Phil's Nike factory and money.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
It's really been an amazing run leading up to the climax today. We lost 13 assistant coaches in the last 13 months and with our running back coach and coach Kool next that means we have turned the staff almost completely over twice in a little over a year and yet we just finished #1 in the country again. Coach Saban can recruit in his sleep.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
. Did we land any of these guys that some were hoping to get?
•Misses: To'oto'o. Some will say Bogle—and I'd loved to have him in this class—but I didn't consider him as a possible going into yesterday.
•Disappointments: For me, Fuller. And, only because he's been somewhat of a character. I suspect he'll be entertaining to watch.
•Surprises: None with Bama. The biggest one is probably Pickens to UGA considering he'd been commmited to Auburn for close to two years. However, I suspect this is a lot like Joseph from last year. It's a chance for Kirby to boost recruiting rankings (and yes, I know he pays attention to those because their fans do) but it's unlikely he'll qualify. (UGA folks I know seem to be pretty confident he will. But, they were about Nadeb Joseph as well.)

It's a hell of a good class. A few thoughts:

**You'll find it hard to find someone willing to argue it's not the best offensive and defensive lines signed.
**I'm limited for what I can remember on different recruiting classes. I didn't start really following recruiting until the mid-80's. Even with that many years following Bama's classes, I can't remember a better defensive line class. And that's just not limited to Bama. Look around at past classes and find one that's on par.
**The entirety of the defensive recruiting was top notch this class...from the line to the back four.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score

ALABAMA
Can the Tide really be a loser after finishing with the No. 2 class in the nation? Well, considering that they were viewed as a virtual lock to win the recruiting national championship following the Early Signing Period, Wednesday’s proceedings didn’t exactly go as planned. First, the Tide saw four-star defensive end Khris Bogle flip to Florida, then they watched as tight end target Brett Seither signed with Georgia and linebacker target Henry To’oto’o committed to Tennessee. Alabama is still loaded and still a favorite to make the College Football Playoff next season, but having several players slip away on signing day isn’t the Nick Saban way.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

ALABAMA
Can the Tide really be a loser after finishing with the No. 2 class in the nation? Well, considering that they were viewed as a virtual lock to win the recruiting national championship following the Early Signing Period, Wednesday’s proceedings didn’t exactly go as planned. First, the Tide saw four-star defensive end Khris Bogle flip to Florida, then they watched as tight end target Brett Seither signed with Georgia and linebacker target Henry To’oto’o committed to Tennessee. Alabama is still loaded and still a favorite to make the College Football Playoff next season, but having several players slip away on signing day isn’t the Nick Saban way.

Such organized silliness. And such an emotional predisposition toward all things Bama. Not one comment on the coaching odyssey that occurred after the early signing period? Now we're being criticized for the players we didn't sign over the 25 limit. Tells me really not much to complain about. And is this dude really sure we didn't win the recruiting rankings again?

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Plus re recruited a player back from the twilight zone...ooops i mean "portal"

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
It's really been an amazing run leading up to the climax today. We lost 13 assistant coaches in the last 13 months and with our running back coach and coach Kool next that means we have turned the staff almost completely over twice in a little over a year and yet we just finished #1 in the country again. Coach Saban can recruit in his sleep.
If he can just keep a staff together for a bit...
Would be a big help.....

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
F Rivals.
The hilarious part was that we had 3 of their top 10 players Georgia had 2. We had the same number of overall 5 stars and ours were ranked higher... by their rankings.
We had more 4 stars than them too but Georgia passed us based on one player flipping who at best has a 50% chance to qualify?

#bamafatigue

I over the last several years have trusted 247 team ranking the most since it really is an average of all the sites.

colbyjacks

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
@TerryP Now that signing day is over, do you have any interesting stories that developed during the recruiting season?

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Yep, the more and more I see it, the more and more Terry's comments about Farrell ring true. So Alabama signs the #1 running back, the #1 defensive end, the #1 offensive tackle, and the #1 kicker, and we are losers?

It amazes me how one loss in a National Championship game causes such a knee jerk reaction from so many people out there. let's not forget how we destroyed Clemson in the Sugar Bowl and came from behind to beat Georgia for the Natty a tick over a year ago. Then we go undefeated and to another National Championship game as lose. 2 and 2 against Clemson, made the Playoffs every year, Top 2 recruiting classes the last ten years. Man, they are jeeeeeeeeeeelous of us.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The hilarious part was that we had 3 of their top 10 players Georgia had 2. We had the same number of overall 5 stars and ours were ranked higher... by their rankings.
It's the bonus points ... #1 in the Rivals 250 is 100 points, #2 is 83 points, #3 is 82, and on down the line
@94 Grad mentions the number of players Rivals has rated as a 6 when comparing the two classes--UGA with six, Bama with three. Just looking at those nine players and how they are ranked (bonused) you can see UGA with a huge lead for the 6.0 guys.

UGA / national rankPointsBama / national rankPoints
Dominick Blaylock - #5543Shane Lee - #5045
Travon Walker - # 3455Marcus Banks - #5343
Jermaine Johnson - #283Jordan Banks - #3749
Lewis Cine - #5443
Nakobe Dean - #3155
Tyrique Stevenson - #3555

There's a 16 point differential in the total number of points: UGA with 3063 and Bama with 3047.

Bama leads in player rankings, UGA leads in bonus points and the total overall. There's a 46 point swing in player rankings and the final team rankings (which include their bonus points.)

Top Bottom