| FTBL Muschamp.....next admin asst at Bama?

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score

Will Muschamp has been fired as South Carolina’s head football coach, the school announced on Sunday. Muschamp’s tenure with the Gamecocks spanned five seasons. Muschamp — who is owed a buyout that is 75% of his remaining contract — ends his time in South Carolina with a record of 28-30. While the school looks for a replacement, Mike Bobo has been named the interim head coach.

Muschamp and South Carolina part ways with four more seasons remaining on the coach’s contract. Muschamp and the school agreed to a contract extension at the end of 2018 that carried through 2024, but after a disappointing 2019 campaign and trouble this season, South Carolina has decided to move in a new direction. Several media members listed potential replacements after the news of Muschamp's firing broke, and the suggested candidates included Billy Napier, Hugh Freeze, Rhett Lashlee and many more.

Last December, in order to keep South Carolina running backs coach Thomas Brown on his staff, Muschamp reworked his contract for 2020, which reduced the amount of his contract buyout from $15.3 million to $13.2 million.

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Bama Club
Reaction score
@ Terry P. Is Napier going to be the hire?

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
He's not going to be the first (or second). Put Harbaugh at Michigan, Mason at Vandy and possibly Hermann at Texas on the list.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Some dudes are great coordinators and bad HC's....

Not taking anything away from Dabo, but having a stud DC on staff for umteen years does so much for consistency, continuity, and general program dominance.

Don't know how long CNS has left, but it would be nice if he could find one of those! Whether it's Boom or someone else, maybe even on already on staff... RTR

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
When will he stop taking these guys?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I wouldn't be stunned if he ended up at Bama, but I would be very surprised. I don't know the details of his contract/buyout agreement, but that would certainly have an impact as well (i.e. is he guaranteed that money if he gets another job tomorrow, or will any new job money be deducted from his payout over the life of the USCe contract)? He's not going to lack offers in the coming days though. I wish he would end up at Bama though.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I wonder if Muschamp is relieved at this point? He has given this HC thing a shot now and maybe he is ready to back off for awhile. Give himself a time for self evaluation and maybe reenergize.

As far as being a DC at Bama, I think he would be the 3rd best of the Smart/Pruitt/Muschamp trio. Better than Golding at least at this point in Goldings development but he should be with the difference in years of experience.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Muschamp's buyout is $13.2 million ($3.3 million per year for four years). He'll get that much from USCe (over time) unless he gets another job. Any job he gets before the buyout is completed will offset the $3.3 million. So, he could become an analyst at Alabama (ala Butch Jones, Charlie Strong, Major Applewhite) and be paid ~$30K and USCe will still pay him $3.27 million.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article247207839.html

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
He may. Who knows what the decision will be at UofSC? I know he's wanted that job for a long time now.

I've seen several mention Jamey Chadwell. He doesn't carry a good reputation around the state largely due to the NCAA sanctions that hit Charleston Southern when he was head coach there. (To be fair, that dealt with several teams in their athletic department.) His program ended up vacating almost two seasons worth of wins and a conference title. (Their excuses/reasons for not being compliant...some interesting reading there: look up Al Parish.)

Jeff Monken (Army) is an interesting name here due to their (UofSC) President, Bob Caslen. Caslen is a retired Army lieutenant general and former superintendent and president of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. If you didn't know this, Monken and Caslen worked together at Army for four or five years. "Knowing your boss" plays a large role in these decisions, ya know?

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Army and running "wishbone "..... wow...if i was a fan...that would piss me off...
"Knowing your boss." Might work in some circles....(business)...running wishbone will work in some ( where there is limited talent available)....

....they need to grab Liberty coach...if they want to compete in SEC

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
IMO Sark would be wise to sit tight. CNS probably only wants one more NC then he will be a fixture on Gameday or similar. I’m NOT implying he will be nor endorsing him as HC at Bama

Top Bottom