| MBB/WBB More on Auburn and the FBI investigation: "Auburn suspends second hoops assistant amid bribery allegations"

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score

Former Pennsylvania basketball coach Jerome Allen testified on Friday that he took around $300,000 in bribes from Philip Esformes to get his son, Morris, on the basketball team, according to a Philly.com storypublished on Monday evening that cited Law360.com.

Allen testified that former Penn assistant, and current first-year Auburn assistant Ira Bowman knew of the scheme, and was subsequently brought into it after Allen was fired by Penn in 2015.
According to Law360.com, after being fired, Allen set up a separate account where Phillip Esformes would wire money, and Allen also gave Bowman a debit card to access the account.
An Auburn Athletics spokesman said the school had no immediate comment when reached earlier this evening, but the spokesman said that they were in the process of better understanding the situation.
Phillip Esformes was hoping to have his son accepted into the Wharton Business School, using a basketball priority slot.
A few days ago I mentioned, albeit off handedly, that we're looking at a team in the SECT Championship that's going to be neck deep in this whole ordeal: Auburn and LSU are in the same bracket vs UK and UT on the opposite side. It reminds me of an old idiom, "the best jokes have a degree of truth to them."

Century Club
Reaction score
What do you expect from the corrupt boogers.

RTB Twitter Bot

Ivory Club
Reaction score

This guy just has the darndest luck with these things.

Controversy seems to follow Bruce Pearl wherever he goes.

The Auburn Tigers’ head coach has now managed to have not one, but two assistant coaches linked to FBI investigations into college hoops corruption.

You may remember how former Auburn assistant Chuck Person was one of the first coaches to get arrested as a result of the FBI investigation that has rocked college basketball. He was charged with six federal crimes, several of which involved paying players. He’s now set to go on trial in June.

Now, Philly.com is reporting current Auburn assistant Ira Bowman is alleged to have participated in a bribery scheme while he was an assistant coach at Penn.

Bowman was named in federal court on Friday by former Penn head coach Jerome Allen, who pleaded guilty to accepting bribes from a parent to put his son on Penn’s basketball team. Allen testified Bowman continued the scheme after Allen was fired in 2015. Bowman would go on to become an assistant at Auburn in 2018.

It doesn’t sound nearly as bad as the infractions Person committed, but it’s still a bad look for Pearl, who was once fired as head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers for, among other things, lying to NCAA investigators about a recruiting violation that occurred at a seemingly harmless cookout.

Maybe the guy just has really bad luck with these things.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Birds of a feather.......,,,

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
It seems like bribery/paying players is a prerequisite for getting a spot on Pearl's staff...

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Its AU. Doesn't matter the coach. The program. The decade. Just doesn't matter.
Its AU. One thing you can give to Malzhan he doesn't appear to be involved in such. Of course they aren't winning like the power brokers want either. So matter of time?

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Its AU. Doesn't matter the coach. The program. The decade. Just doesn't matter.
Its AU. One thing you can give to Malzhan he doesn't appear to be involved in such. Of course they aren't winning like the power brokers want either. So matter of time?
I can attest to that a little bit, at least. I know two kids playing for Auburn and what I was told that its so strict that one of the kids dad had to go all the way home and find the title for his vehicle to prove that he paid for it before compliance would clear him.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I can attest to that a little bit, at least. I know two kids playing for Auburn and what I was told that its so strict that one of the kids dad had to go all the way home and find the title for his vehicle to prove that he paid for it before compliance would clear him.
I believe that's a standard practice around the SEC now. Perhaps, and I'd assume, your P5 schools and farther on down the line as well by now. I remember learning of the process in Tuscaloosa in 2008 - '09. Kendall Kelly's background checks were quite extensive, down to insurance payments, a close examination of financing (cash paid in his case as I recall,) and more. The "hounding" his mother was receiving during that period led to to see just how far UA covered their bases.

As a side note, to my recollection the 2007 book problem, Saban's wrath and the subsequent restructuring in compliance set a lot of that up. UA had a system in place, though not as diligent.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I believe that's a standard practice around the SEC now. Perhaps, and I'd assume, your P5 schools and farther on down the line as well by now. I remember learning of the process in Tuscaloosa in 2008 - '09. Kendall Kelly's background checks were quite extensive, down to insurance payments, a close examination of financing (cash paid in his case as I recall,) and more. The "hounding" his mother was receiving during that period led to to see just how far UA covered their bases.

As a side note, to my recollection the 2007 book problem, Saban's wrath and the subsequent restructuring in compliance set a lot of that up. UA had a system in place, though not as diligent.
Pretty sure that wasn't "standard" under Chizik, though lol

Top Bottom