| FTBL More details surrounding Mack Wilson's early departure...

Reaction score
Where do you stand?

A-Nick's job is to lookout for the success of the program 1st and having #30 return would/could be best for the program.
B-Nick's job is to lookout for the success of the player 1st and having #3- return would/could be best for the player

I am glad #30 is gone. The guy behind him might not be as talented are experienced but if that guy is giving 100 % on every down then he just might have the same impact as a guy with more ability but giving 80%. Using the Coach Bryant Plan.

and somebody in the #30 family had to have handed the phone to the Godfather thus they were fine with the plan for Mack to head to the NFL.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
“You’ve had him 3 years. What are you going to do in a year that you haven’t done in three?”

Dowell said Saban fell silent.

“He couldn’t answer,” Dowell recalled.
I don't buy that at all... I don't see Saban being Stumped by a question as easy to answer as that. If anything, he may have paused at the "stupidity" of that questions, but I doubt he "couldn't answer" it.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I don't buy that at all... I don't see Saban being Stumped by a question as easy to answer as that. If anything, he may have paused at the "stupidity" of that questions, but I doubt he "couldn't answer" it.
I don't know how you respond to stupid. I hope Mack gets picked high, but he needs a lot of growth to justify it.

Sgt. Lincoln Osiris

Lead farmer
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Egg Zackly.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
This story loses all credibility without Saban's comments to the situation or at least the reporters efforts to actually ask Saban.

Besides, it's also a simple rule for Saban... you only go early when you are a SOLID first round pic. Mack isn't a first round lock like he was expected to be simply because his last two games were ok. Not great.

Doesn't matter now though.... He's gone & it's time to focus on who is left.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I call major bullshit on Coach not being able to answer that. All you need to do is see what he was able to do with Reuben Foster, CJ Mosley, and others that stayed that extra year. Night and day difference. Mack was always about the money, and I know his folks were too, so I'm sure it was a way to not show their greed. Be is promoting "Nobody Safe" for years and got it trademarked befire his Junior year. Greatest coach ever not having an answer to that about how he could progress Mack's career, one he is likely asked every single year? My ass.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I call major bullshit on Coach not being able to answer that. All you need to do is see what he was able to do with Reuben Foster, CJ Mosley, and others that stayed that extra year. Night and day difference. Mack was always about the money, and I know his folks were too, so I'm sure it was a way to not show their greed. Be is promoting "Nobody Safe" for years and got it trademarked befire his Junior year. Greatest coach ever not having an answer to that about how he could progress Mack's career, one he is likely asked every single year? My ass.
Remember that the article (if you call it that) only has quotes from the Godfather. I'm sure Saban would have a different perspective on what was said/not said.

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
“You’ve had him 3 years. What are you going to do in a year that you haven’t done in three?”
how about "what can Mack do in a year that he hasn't done in three?"

the only people a player needs to listen to is their coach and themselves. if they feel they're good enough to move on, then they need to talk with their coach and get their opinion. somebody like Coach Saban isn't going to bullshit anyone...especially a player wanting to leave early for the pros.

too many times players have too many people in their ear telling them what they should do. and most times it's more for their benefit than the player's.

so this guy's been doing something for 17 years. well, Coach Saban's doing something for longer than that.....since 1990; that's 29 years. and that's only as a head coach. his coaching experience goes back to 1977 (that's 42 years for those keeping score...).

Last edited:

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
First...nicks track record.....if it was himself first...he would have talked Hurts into staying....
Second.....nicks track record.....for those that went and those that stayed....
But if Macks fam8y needs the coins...go...family first...
Football life is short...get what u can...take care of family...
I liked the guy...pulling for him...

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
First...nicks track record.....if it was himself first...he would have talked Hurts into staying....
Second.....nicks track record.....for those that went and those that stayed....
But if Macks fam8y needs the coins...go...family first...
Football life is short...get what u can...take care of family...
I liked the guy...pulling for him...

And that could be the ultimate push out the door. When Mack committed to us with that colorful plaid jacket flowing in the breeze he was also holding a little baby girl on his lap. This could be about that as much as Josh Jacobs decision.

There's also this:
Football players seem to look at the 3 years and out as much as a badge of honor as basketball players look at the one and done. I have heard coach Saban lament about his ability to talk players out of leaving early even when it was painfully obvious from NFL evaluation they were not getting early round money. But a lot of these bluebloods came into the program with a lot of fanfare and some think that's the way they will be going to their next job.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score
Interesting to see where he goes. Having it reported that Saban didn’t think he should go can’t help his draft stock. However, like RBs in today’s NFL offenses, defenses covet 3 down LB (especially inside LB). I think Mack will be physically impressive at combine and go somewhere in first 50 taken.

Early-mid Rd2 IMO.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Interesting to see where he goes. Having it reported that Saban didn’t think he should go can’t help his draft stock. However, like RBs in today’s NFL offenses, defenses covet 3 down LB (especially inside LB). I think Mack will be physically impressive at combine and go somewhere in first 50 taken.

Early-mid Rd2 IMO.
I can easily assume what Mack has been told by his "Godfather/Mentor" and it isn't all wrong. Players can make a good jump with their draft stock by an impressive combine performance and we can only assume that was pointed out...

As was that second contract and the money that goes along with the extension/new contract.

What I find interesting is we've also seeing the return of Vinnie to the sidelines at Bama—another Bama guy who left early when Saban was suggesting he needed another year. Add to that, one of the people that was into Vinnie's ear the most was his father: also found on the Bama sidelines again this season.

To make it even more interesting a lot of the credit for Anoma "getting his head back on straight" falls at the feet of Sal. Is it irony, or just a coincidence, Sal is telling him he needs to stick through the grind today to enjoy the benefits of tomorrow.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I can easily assume what Mack has been told by his "Godfather/Mentor" and it isn't all wrong. Players can make a good jump with their draft stock by an impressive combine performance and we can only assume that was pointed out...

As was that second contract and the money that goes along with the extension/new contract.

What I find interesting is we've also seeing the return of Vinnie to the sidelines at Bama—another Bama guy who left early when Saban was suggesting he needed another year. Add to that, one of the people that was into Vinnie's ear the most was his father: also found on the Bama sidelines again this season.

To make it even more interesting a lot of the credit for Anoma "getting his head back on straight" falls at the feet of Sal. Is it irony, or just a coincidence, Sal is telling him he needs to stick through the grind today to enjoy the benefits of tomorrow.
Vinnie actually making a team in 2 different seasons was more than I expected for him. TBH I don't know if coming back would have ever helped his draft stock or ability to be successful in the NFL. Just not a guy with "upside". He was what he was... A solid, smart, below average athleticism DB that could stand out on special teams. He missed out on a good year of college football I suppose... Don't think he was ever long for the NFL.

The turn style of coaches at UA has been fascinating... Sal on another go round'... Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. He was always a good recruiter and the kids liked him which is a bonus. Would be a great start to get Anoma to be a difference maker, we've seen what a Bama D with no edge presence looks like and it's not the same. Between the Allen and Lewis injuries we couldn't finish the job... Need STUD pass rushers to create negative down and distances... The combo of great offensive talent and rules that don't allow DB's to play defense is too much to overcome without them.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
@Tidestalker .... yeah...we sure got spoiled with those LBs os the early years of this run.....Hightower, mosley, etc
Then backed by DBs....and Those DLineman....
Dont have it right now.....that was last 10 years...
Didnt have to score a lot....

Top Bottom