| FTBL Moore and Branch should they play together, your thoughts

JoshB

Scholarship Club
The less Branch is on the field, the better, honestly. I've been hoping Kool-Aid and/or Story would step up and being able to be impact players this year but the DBs like every level of the defense is struggling badly right now. Amour-Davis seems to be the only one that isn't blowing coverages or just getting burned to a crisp on a regular basis.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
I don't think Branch is the issue... they've been okay for most part... The main issue is Hellams and Jobe. they're not tackling well lately. Jobe is getting way too many PIs... I do agree that Kool Aid and Story should get a look at least.

JoshB

Scholarship Club
I don't think Branch is the issue... they've been okay for most part... The main issue is Hellams and Jobe. they're not tackling well lately. Jobe is getting way too many PIs... I do agree that Kool Aid and Story should get a look at least.

Hellams entire game plan seems to just be "let the receiver run by me and then grab him and hope the ref doesn't throw a flag."

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
The less Branch is on the field, the better, honestly. I've been hoping Kool-Aid and/or Story would step up and being able to be impact players this year but the DBs like every level of the defense is struggling badly right now. Amour-Davis seems to be the only one that isn't blowing coverages or just getting burned to a crisp on a regular basis.

Hellams is the weak link, not Branch. I think Moore and Branch are actually the bright spots out of the entire defensive backfield. I'm not high on Jobe or Armor-Davis either. Kool-Aid should be out there no doubt about it. Ha, if we're gonna play like this I'd much rather he get some experience and be ready for a future run at a Natty with true game experience. He can't be any worse than what I've seen.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Hellams is the weak link, not Branch. I think Moore and Branch are actually the bright spots out of the entire defensive backfield. I'm not high on Jobe or Armor-Davis either. Kool-Aid should be out there no doubt about it. Ha, if we're gonna play like this I'd much rather he get some experience and be ready for a future run at a Natty with true game experience. He can't be any worse than what I've seen.

I mostly agree with this.

Branch and Moore are the versatile DB hybrids you need in today's game. Hellams looks the part, but is probably built for CFB in 2009 when he could play in the box and fill in the run game. He's not good enough in coverage, and that is today's game.

Battle is fine.

Jobe has been a disappointment from what we've seen from him last year.

JAD has been pretty good - no complaints.

I think there has to be a way to get KoolAid some reps, and get Branch on the field more. You can't keep Hellams out there if he's getting burnt when he knows the coverage, and blowing coverages the other times.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club

Branch and Moore are the versatile DB hybrids you need in today's game. Hellams looks the part, but is probably built for CFB in 2009 when he could play in the box and fill in the run game. He's not good enough in coverage, and that is today's game.

Battle is fine.

I think there has to be a way to get KoolAid some reps, and get Branch on the field more. You can't keep Hellams out there if he's getting burnt when he knows the coverage, and blowing coverages the other times.

I'm a defensive guy, but sadly I also have to admit I don't always know how they run our defense. We run so many guys in and out that I more or less ball watch rather than dissect our defensive sets. I understand what we're doing, but I couldn't lay out the Texas A&M game for you other than what I saw unfold after the fact. You make a great comment about Hellams and that with his aggressiveness and size, he's built for in the box. It has me wondering if it's possible to drop him into that middle area to head hunt. Don't slam me for using that term folks, but he's not a cover guy, he's a Mark Barron knock your mouth piece out guy.

I was the same way when I played ball in high school. I was small unfortunately, but I was mean and aggressive and would hit anyone bigger than me without question. I kept getting burnt at corner because I just wasn't fast enough. Playing teams in the Atlanta area, you better be able to run, and you better be able to guard D-1 prospects. I was way too slow and it just wasn't working out. So our coaches moved me to strong safety where I could play closer to the box and take on the flats and outside run containment. Man, it worked like a charm. I made All-District and it worked out so well because I was laterally quick and could cover a smaller area more aggressively and with some confidence, but also step up and take on the run. We didn't run a 3-4 like Alabama, but I tell you that story just to say moving him where he could be used better may not be a bad idea. His A-Day performance showed he wanted to hit, so he could really help in run support when our line just isn't making a difference. He could also work in more of a phone booth over the middle rather than the alternative. Maybe I'm way off, but we gotta try and figure something out. Maybe something would stick.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
I'm a defensive guy, but sadly I also have to admit I don't always know how they run our defense. We run so many guys in and out that I more or less ball watch rather than dissect our defensive sets. I understand what we're doing, but I couldn't lay out the Texas A&M game for you other than what I saw unfold after the fact. You make a great comment about Hellams and that with his aggressiveness and size, he's built for in the box. It has me wondering if it's possible to drop him into that middle area to head hunt. Don't slam me for using that term folks, but he's not a cover guy, he's a Mark Barron knock your mouth piece out guy.

I was the same way when I played ball in high school. I was small unfortunately, but I was mean and aggressive and would hit anyone bigger than me without question. I kept getting burnt at corner because I just wasn't fast enough. Playing teams in the Atlanta area, you better be able to run, and you better be able to guard D-1 prospects. I was way too slow and it just wasn't working out. So our coaches moved me to strong safety where I could play closer to the box and take on the flats and outside run containment. Man, it worked like a charm. I made All-District and it worked out so well because I was laterally quick and could cover a smaller area more aggressively and with some confidence, but also step up and take on the run. We didn't run a 3-4 like Alabama, but I tell you that story just to say moving him where he could be used better may not be a bad idea. His A-Day performance showed he wanted to hit, so he could really help in run support when our line just isn't making a difference. He could also work in more of a phone booth over the middle rather than the alternative. Maybe I'm way off, but we gotta try and figure something out. Maybe something would stick.

If you want a detailed video breakdown from folks who know what they are talking about, check this out. The defensive issues are on display and are addressed

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club

I don't know man... He got burned 1 time the other night, but made 11 tackles! And this is a guy who's never just had the opportunity to play 1 position, he's been a plug and play for 1.5 years.

I'd love to see him full time at safety. JMO but his instincts and ability to play the pass appear as good or better than any of the other options.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
1. Defensive scheme was wrong from the start, didn’t adjust quickly enough and may not be sustainable: Just about everything that comes after this has a fix, or at least can be worked around. But the defensive plan Alabama brought to this game was one of the worst we’ve seen in years. It wasn’t effective – the comment above about Alabama attempting “20-something” unsuccessful middle blitzes was not an exaggeration – and Alabama’s coaches were too stubborn to change or modify it. It took Alabama the better part of a quarter to realize its small “rabbit” front – 2 DL and 2 OLB in a four-man front, with 2 ILB behind it – wasn’t going to work against Texas A&M’s physical running game.

By the time Alabama finally pulled OLB Dallas Turner in favor of defensive ends Justin Eboigbe and Byron Young, a lot of damage had already been done. The worst aspect of the plan, though, may have been the failure to realize that when Alabama blitzed with middle pressure, it turned the flats and the tight end routes into automatic completions for Zach Calzada. Once Alabama went to a more standard front with three DL and kept the inside linebackers in zone or as spies, Texas A&M almost immediately shut down on offense.

So what did Alabama do with a 7-point lead late in the fourth quarter? It brought middle pressure again, left a defensive back one-on-one with WR Ainais Smith (6 rec., 85 yards, 2 TD on the night), and watched the Aggies tie the score. The question going forward now is whether this defense can stop offenses, because against the Aggies it appeared that Alabama didn’t have an answer, even against an offensive line as patchwork as the one Texas A&M started.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Century Club
So what did Alabama do with a 7-point lead late in the fourth quarter? It brought middle pressure again, left a defensive back one-on-one with WR Ainais Smith (6 rec., 85 yards, 2 TD on the night), and watched the Aggies tie the score. The question going forward now is whether this defense can stop offenses, because against the Aggies it appeared that Alabama didn’t have an answer, even against an offensive line as patchwork as the one Texas A&M started.

I thought our guys just got lazy the last two drives on both sides of the ball. Reflecting their youth.

Why do you think Golding changed back to the first half play calling? Are you absolutely certain he did? Being genuine here.

JoshB

Scholarship Club

Battle is fine.

Might be a situation where Hellams could be used sort of like a "bandit/spear" type of player where he can play closer to the line and maybe cover backs out of the backfield? Put him out there some in place of Sanders or something, maybe? IDK.

BAMAneck

Century Club
I thought after 2015 ( I think it was ) when everyone was using our depth against us in recruiting, Saban said for now on best players play .

No more do upperclassman just inherit the starting position if it’s close. Usually if it’s close then the upperclassman is probably at his ceiling and the underclass man is still growing.

There are a couple positions on both sides of the ball that I see struggling on the regular . I was hoping that there were a couple underclassmen that could step up and contribute.

So I say yes , best 11 on both sides should start , but who’s to say that they aren’t ? Not me. So it’s in Coach we trust for me ?

Run the ball more. That always helps.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
I thought after 2015 ( I think it was ) when everyone was using our depth against us in recruiting, Saban said for now on best players play .

No more do upperclassman just inherit the starting position if it’s close. Usually if it’s close then the upperclassman is probably at his ceiling and the underclass man is still growing.

There are a couple positions on both sides of the ball that I see struggling on the regular . I was hoping that there were a couple underclassmen that could step up and contribute.

So I say yes , best 11 on both sides should start , but who’s to say that they aren’t ? Not me. So it’s in Coach we trust for me ?

Run the ball more. That always helps.
What makes the "better" player? CNS may use a more senior player because they know what to do more consistently than a more talented, younger player. There's no value if a younger receiver gets open on a running play.

BAMAneck

Century Club
What makes the "better" player? CNS may use a more senior player because they know what to do more consistently than a more talented, younger player. There's no value if a younger receiver gets open on a running play.

What about a lineman beaten on every pass play ? Or a DB who bust coverage ? Do you owe it to yourself to try something different? If not shouldn’t you try and limit the pass plays especially in the red zone when running got you there. Has nothing to do with a receiver open on a run play.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
What about a lineman beaten on every pass play ? Or a DB who bust coverage ? Do you owe it to yourself to try something different? If not shouldn’t you try and limit the pass plays especially in the red zone when running got you there. Has nothing to do with a receiver open on a run play.
My comment was in response to “the best player plays.” What determines who the best player is? Is it the veteran who knows where he needs to be and makes the proper checkoffs but might not make the interception or is it the freshman who is lightning fast but doesn’t know when or if he’s supposed to switch receivers on a rub pattern?

We all know that blocks, tackles and assignments were missed against A&M. Do you pull a player and put in someone that doesn’t have the experience or knowledge? At what point?

Top Bottom