| FTBL Mississippi State hires Mike Leach

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Leach and Kiffin last faced each other in 2013. It was the first loss of the season for USC and the second loss to ASU got Kiffin fired.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
They passed on Pruitt for Moorhead and 2 years later pass on Sarkisian for Leach.

Speaks volumes.

Bama Club
Reaction score
Is Starkville ready for the air raid?

mrchase

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
The west is very offensive now.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I forgot to add another little note to this. Who took over when Kiffin was fired? Coach O. So now Ole Miss, Miss State, and LSU are all tied to that one season.

Also, Arkansas head coach has ties to the Bama/Saban trees. He coached under Franchione, Butch Davis, Derek Dooley, and Kirby Smart. So pretty much every SECW head coach except Auburn's has first or second level ties to either that season, Saban, or both (technically Malzahn ties to Saban due to both having Muschamp as a coordinator at some point but I am not even getting near that bus).

BamaFisher

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think MSU just bought themselves 10 years of mediocrity. It’ll take Leach 3-4 years to recruit his type of players for that air raid system (fast and small) and the fans will get impatient listening to Kiffin mouthing off across the state. They’ll cut Leach loose and it’ll take the next poor hapless coach another 3-4 year recruiting cycle of getting bigger guys to run his system. It’s Petrino/Bielema/Morris all over again.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Post this on the other thread.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
No doublt! They couldn't have done any better there... It's not exactly a destination.

To Leach's credit, he knows a mainstream school does not fit him. He needs a certain weird fan base and culture to entertain and recruit to.

He can coach offense and find wins... But it seems like his act wears thin over time. Which is probably why he's making the move now...

I def see them as a significantly better threat on a given Saturday in the Fall than last week. But nothing crazy. RTR

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
No question. As bizarre as Leach is in public just imagine how he is behind closed doors. At least in Starkville he won't have any Craig James' to worry about lol #CJK5H

As far as immediate success goes, I think Kiffin is a little bit more set up just because he is so good at taking what he has around him and fitting his offense to their ability. Where as Leach is Air Raid no matter what and will attempt to fit a square peg in a round hole at times.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Yeah I think Kiffin will be a thorn in his side. But at the same time, LK did not want to see this dude hired... Leach might be "un-troll-able"

Ultimately though, 2 good hires in that state is better than 1 for Alabama IMO. We won't have to worry about losing recruits to MSU in the Saban era, but he will certainly pull a few good players form Kiffin and vice versa. The competition could keep both from getting too good. JMO

Top Bottom