| FTBL Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

saturdaysarebetter

Registered
Reaction score
In the past, you may have heard Paul Finebaum talking about how Michigan fans think higher of their program and Jim Harbaugh than they should, well....... facts are facts.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
In the past, you may have heard Paul Finebaum talking about how Michigan fans think higher of their program and Jim Harbaugh than they should, well....... facts are facts.

Last I saw Michigan they were getting royally hammered by Felipe Frank's Florida led team. Let that soak in. I think the only reason they still have a national heartbeat was the recruiting class that I believe benefited immensely by the idea that Urban Meyer was finally gone. I think the Wolverines are one more loss to Ohio State from cutting ties with Harbaugh.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
And really. What has he done to be worth that money @TUSKtimes
Mouthy.....talks a good game.... Michigan fires him and he comes work for nick...lol

tider79

Registered
Reaction score
Beyond overrated,,,,they love to bark about having the most wins....Championships are the barometer of the most successful programs.

TideatMileHigh

Registered
Reaction score
I consider them a blue blood, but they are the most overrated program in college football history with the Tejas Longhorns right behind them. One national championship in 50+ plus years and most of their titles were won back when Russia was ruled by the Tsar. At least Notre Dame won multiple titles in the last 60 years. Bo Schembechler is the Marty Schottenheimer of college football as well.

I will give them credit for being one of the more consistent programs in the last 50+ years for they have probably averaged about 8-10 wins a season since the 60s, but they have very little to show for their success outside of a split title with a Nebraska team that probably would have beat the shit out of them in 1997.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
tOS is his Daddy!

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
My takeaway from that article - Bama is really really good:)

Looks to me like Michigan and the barn are about the same. I have never viewed them that way but the data makes it look that way.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Back in the day, the Big Ten had a saying, Big 2 little 8. Meaning back in the day the Big Ten was really a bad football conference. It was easy for Michigan to shine in comparison. But through it all, way back to Woody Hayes, Ohio State has been collecting all the trophies that matter.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
they are the most overrated program in college football history with the Tejas Longhorns right behind them.
Really....may be ONE of the most.
But UGA is got to be the most in modern day football....
Never considered them over rated...or Texas... but could make a believer out of me...... but i will stick with UGA

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
A blue blood that has really lost its luster. They haven't been ELITE in 20+ years. OVERRATED!!!!

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Even Bama.....from BEAR to Nick.....had a lot of success...and down time with the probations....
Stallings 92 NC...And at the near top in 91-94... others had Bama also winning and in top5-10...
That damn probation was the low of the low....

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Watching an elite Alabama team lose by 28 points in the CFP Championship game prevents me from commenting further ;)

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Looks to me like Michigan and the barn are about the same. I have never viewed them that way but the data makes it look that way.
Depends on which data you're perusing. As example, between '47 and '97 Michigan spent either 34 or 37 weeks ranked #1 in the AP poll. In Auburn's history they've spent nine weeks there.

(Side note: I believe Bama is at 118 or 119 to date.)

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Depends on which data you're perusing. As example, between '47 and '97 Michigan spent either 34 or 37 weeks ranked #1 in the AP poll. In Auburn's history they've spent nine weeks there.

(Side note: I believe Bama is at 118 or 119 to date.)
I was stating it based on the stats from the article: 1 loss seasons, championships, and 10 win seasons. But as I stated, my perception is/was that those two programs are not even in the same class. Still do not think so even though the data from the article has them about the same.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@mando Do you happen to know how many back to back 10 win seasons Michigan has had over their years? I've never looked.

,they love to bark about having the most wins
What's crazy to me is if you think that their football fan base loves to bark, you should hear their softball fans. Their program is 20 years older than that of the Tide and you'd think they'd won the WCWS as many times as one of the PAC schools.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
But as I stated, my perception is/was that those two programs are not even in the same class. Still do not think so even though the DATA from the article has them about the same.
Lol...if you dont base it on data..... what would you base it on...perception is data based i would think.....
I don’t necessarily agree or disagree......but being rational...data would give you the answer

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
..perception is data based i would think....
That reminds me of a great cliche' I came across.

There's a HUGE plot hole in reality: Every person carries around a device with access to the totality of human knowledge and yet people are constantly wrong about everything.

Top Bottom