| LIFE Mac or PC

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
I seek your learned opinions on a laptop for my daughter starting college.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
What is she going to school for? Mac is best for the "creative" majors like theater, arts, music, etc. For everything else PC is a better option. If price is a consideration at all then you can get twice the PC for the same price as a Mac also.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I'll offer this... My MacBook Pro is 10 years old and still works great (other than the poor battery life). My wife got a Surface Pro two years ago. It has been buggy as hell from day 1 and I hate it.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
BSRN program. Starting her AS work at Jeff State while applying for dual admission at UAB. Can have her BS in 5 semesters but it would be hard.

XXL TideFan

Don't go there
Bama Club
Reaction score
Read an article or two on the AMD mobile processor that gives a Mac Pro a run on speed. It will probably be a windows PC, I would like it to last her 4 years.

doemasters

The Rowdy One
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Would buy a Mac if it was me, I have both but depends on what she will be using it for

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Be mindful of when you buy if you go mac. They are changing processors and os this year and that means a lot of software will not work properly. Going from x86 to ARM means problems street coming.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Just bought my oldest a new 13" Mac with an M1 chip. Was iffy on the M1, but didn't want to spend similar money on a year old intel Mac.

I'm just not a Mac fan myself. Owned 3-4 over the years. My laptop must have a touchscreen at this point. Last two have and I really prefer it.

Youngest has a surface pro. Not sure if I would use this as my primary.

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I have my second MacBook Pro laptop going on 8 years and very happy with it. The first one lasted 12 years. My wife and daughter have had three or four Dell laptops EACH during that same time frame. They have constant problems but I know part of it is from user error.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I can't help you with the Mac! Never own anytype. Only PC's. I will tell you if you get a PC, just make sure to get the anti-virus protecting and keep it updated. Any program that she will need she may get a discount thought the school.

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
Reaction score
Go into somewhere like Best Buy and let her try both out. She'll be able to play around with both OSes and see which one she likes better.

Windows is (obviously) more familiar with most people. But Mac OS isn't that hard to learn.

And as @rick4bama said, get a good antivirus program. Windows Defender is decent (if she goes with Windows). But at a school, there is too much going on and going through their internet that I wouldn't trust JUST Defender to protect my computer. Macs usually don't have to worry about antivirus, but there have been times where it was necessary.

footballer

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I was advised early on before I bought my first computer, that Mac is more user friendly than pc's. Also, as sk33tr commented, Mac's generally are not prone to virus, whereas pc's are easily attacked, as I understand it, but I don't have any personal experience with pc's. I own 3 older Mac laptops which are outdated, but still perform well. I am now on my third IMac which I bought used, refurbished, and it works very well. I prefer the larger screen of a desk top, better for aging eyes.

Top Bottom