• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Mac Jones

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
So, Young should be signing this month?

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Glad he proved your doubts wrong. Not saying that in an attacking way, I know in reality you are also. I could understand before the game your doubts when I read them. I believed he was better than you were saying but what I did not know was how he was going to respond when he got hit in the mouth and when adversity came.

In regards to how he handled adversity he exceeded what I thought he would do. I expected there to be some intimidation but there did not appear to be any. Lord knows those two picks would have been reason enough for anyone to lose their confidence and start playing scared. He did not even blink which was a great sign for the future.

As you say those WR's can make you look good if you just get it close to them and let them do their thing. Thats why I would love to see Smitty back, him and Waddle would be a great foundation to build on. Get Najee back also and then you really have something.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
I mean I think some of the throws and such he made were very strong throws. However, he equally lost us the game last game as won it..no offense to anyone here on the matter. I think he learned the more the game went on but it was quite obvious he was not ready/up to a top 10 road match-up and won't be QB1 next year likely.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
That's a stretch I think. Mack will be the first to say the interceptions where his fault. But the ability to keep fighting back was unlike anything I have ever seen from any QB ever. Also, I felt like there was no reason for us to not run the ball when we got inside their 5. Their D was just about toast & just getting in the Big Guys with Najee back there made much more sense to me. I mean why not. I guess hindsite is 20/20.

Whats crazy... Is that if Mack keeps playing like that with yardage statistically, he will surpass Tua at the end of his 3rd year starting...Think about that for a second.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
Oh, i totally agree Sark's call did not do Mac Jones any favors but he made the choice to just throw it up at Najee, not Sark. He should've taken the sack there, inexperience and bad decision all in one was a perfect storm of terrible decisions from coaching on down.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree with some here on Mac. His picks were bad, but to say that he just slung that second one out there is a reach at best. After the play fake, he had 280lbs charging full bore at him untouched. The naked boot only works if that end man bites. He didn’t bite and damn near killed Mac. Mac tried to get it out quick and salvage the play. Inexperience shows here, because he easily could’ve taken the sack. The QB gets blasted time and again for taking a sack, not throwing it away, throwing a pick, but no one deals with the shit they see in a blur of 2.5 to 3 seconds from the snap. You see it from your couch or from your seat in the stands, not from there on the grass. It’s always easy to go back and second guess with replay and question “why didn’t he throw it to this guy? Why not to that guy? So and so was wide ass open!” You don’t know the play call nor do you know the progression of the play, deep to short, short to deep, left to right, right to left. With all of that said, Sark probably could’ve or should’ve called a run on 1st down instead of that ill fated pass. I always liked play action on the goal line on 2nd down anyways.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Agree on this... The first pick was his worse throw. The 2nd he was under some duress which contributed to the pick although experience would show him he should hang on to the ball and just take the sack or sling it up into the stands. Easy to say here in the comfort if my living room with the results in my rear view mirror....

Bama Club
Reaction score
The second pick was the game. We have first and goal on the three if I remember correctly a TD would have put us up 13-14. Najee was a beast run him I just don't get the play call by Sark.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I don't blame the 2nd pick on Mac... At all.

Silly play call - The DE was in his lap when he turned his head around. Yes he could have thrown it into the stands but there was no reason to put the ball at risk in a 1st and goal situation from the 2. And Sark called a great game otherwise.... But that was a big mistake.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I agree with you 1000% here. I'm pretty sure half of the interceptions Tua threw were off his back foot and bad decisions. No one is impervious to the reality that we are humans and make mistakes, especially in a split second. Can't even express how we all could look into each others daily lives and find hundreds and probably thousands of examples of this happening to ourselves.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
But games are won and lost by...as NS puts it....a few plays....
Sark called a ok game...but not good enough with an inexperienced QB....
Ok..as ATnT puts it...isn’t good enough...
That int changed the game....from bama in control.....to not...
Personally...as I said fromthe start of season....i not a Sark fan..less today...

scottyhk

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I saw the second pick as Mac's inexperience showing on that particular circumstance. Getting heat from an unblocked defender on the goal line, single coverage on Najee...he tried to make a play when he should have thrown it away (or to a spot that only Najee had the chance to catch it). Definitely a learning experience for Mac on that play.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
So why did we move away from Running the ball in 3rd and 4th quarter. Momentum was on our side... We could've drained the clock out and we did do that, we just didn't take care of the ball.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I don't agree that Sark just called an "ok" game. I've been as hard on Sark as anyone but he emptied every round in the chamber at Auburn. Reverses, flea flickers, end arounds, different versions of the Wildcat that we hadn't seen yet, everything. It didn't all work but the main reason for it was making Auburn be aware of everything, which made life easier for Mac. Just like Mac is gonna be remembered for his two bad plays more than the 25 other great ones, Sark is probably going to be remembered for the one iffy call. The naked bootleg on the 2-yard line with first-and-goal was unnecessary and I think he just outthought himself. Najee was not going to be stopped if you ran at them four straight times. Period.

As for Mac, I have been hard on him too but he proved himself against Auburn. He had two really bad throws that may have cost the game, but at the same time the dude put 45 points on the board against a team that hadn't even given up 30 yet this year. 45 points should be enough to beat a team with a pathetic offense like Auburn. Unfortunately, this just happens to be the year that our defense is even more pathetic than Gus' short bus offense. While if Mac hadn't thrown those two picks we wouldn't even be having this discussion and Alabama probably wins by 14 or more, had the defense just managed a few more stops we also wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mac has earned the right to be "the guy" next season that has to be beaten out. Every other QB next year is competing for HIS spot, not the other way around. He earned it and it has to be taken from him IMO.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I had a co worker yesterday to come into my gym and scream out some obscenities about the game. Not really, but she’s a Barner, so same difference. I said something along the lines of always being little brother. I sent her an email once I got the class calmed down and I told her that 2 good things had come from. Saturday’s game. 1) I only have to plan for 1 bowl game this year like y’all always do. 2) They were now stuck with their booger picking and booger eating Coach for at least another year. Crickets!!!

Top Bottom