| FTBL LSU RB, John Emery out for the season

sk33tr

el jefe
Bama Club
When I was at Jacksonville State, we had someone who did our class scheduling for us. All we did was go into her office (really cute lady, btw), and she had a list of ALL of the classes we needed for our degree.....from freshman to senior. And she did all of the scheduling on a computer. Also, this was back in 1989/'90/'91, so the computer system was basically just a database that she was connected to; there was no "internet" like today.

She'd then give us a printout that told us the day, time, building, room #, and professor's name. You could tell her what days you wanted certain classes, and she would try to accommodate you as well as possible. The trick was to be one of the 1st ones there so you could get what you wanted. The later you went, the more full the classes were and you might no get the day or time you wanted. My 2nd year there, I worked it out so I had classes on only Tuesdays and Thursdays. Yes, it was a full day (8:00am-6:pm), but I didn't have to worry about classes the other 5 days of the week; with the exception of band practice, which was Monday through Friday.

The thing is, even back then, at a Division II University, we had someone doing our scheduling for us. How is it that at a major University like LSU, you have something like this happen? Which leads me to believe the story we're being told isn't the true story, at all.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
There's a standard, across the board, for how many hours and what kind of classes freshman are required to have as well as sophomores. When we get into junior and senior classes one would hope they'd have their core classes done for their first two years.

And that's where this gets cloudy. Let's assume he hasn't taken his English 201 class because he was registered for (hypothetically) English 301. Those core classes are taught throughout the year.

Now, I haven't looked at their academic calendar yet. But if it's anything like other schools they offer night classes that are advanced. IE: I took a few classes that only lasted about five weeks but it was an entire semester crammed into those five. It would seem to me if it was as simple as the wrong class, or he missed a core requirement, he could make it up in their first "quarter" of this semester. He'd be back before the end of the season assuming he passed the class.

Definitely agree.

Boy, a lot of bad stuff going on down in the bayou all at once. You have to wonder how a multi-million dollar institution could find itself in this much trouble all at the same time. And it's not just one thing, it's a multitude of things. Bribes, rape, grades, and cover up. Just evil being looked over for the sake of winning. Bribes, not so worried about (kiddie shit when compared to the rest), but the rape, cover up, and muzzling of athletes to make sure star players are ready for the field/court is simply pure evil and needs to be jailed.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Well....you sign up for class...then unsign...and just fix it...
Surely someone has the authority to do that...
Just fix it....
Doesnt seem complicated.....
Unless someone wants it complicated..or un fixable
It sounds like this is something that's developed over the last few quarters/semesters, not something that can be fixed with a drop/add. Probably blew off a few classes thinking he'd get a free ride.

TerryP

Ivory Club
It sounds like this is something that's developed over the last few quarters/semesters, not something that can be fixed with a drop/add. Probably blew off a few classes thinking he'd get a free ride.
This is from Scott Long, a beat writer for Dandy Don's LSU site:

In yesterday’s post, I wrote that Emery’s ineligibility was about “accumulated hours, a young man who had a difficult offseason and an NCAA waiver that was not granted.” I did not want to detail what that meant for various reasons, including privacy and the possibility of burning a bridge with my source. But now the details are out.

In this article by The Athletic, Brody Miller explains that Emery fell three credit hours short of eligibility in the fall of 2020, which was a particularly difficult time in Emery’s life. Miller writes, “Emery’s stepfather, Webster Garrison, spent much of 2020 hospitalized on a ventilator due to complications from COVID-19. Garrison suffered strokes and kidney failure, and is still struggling to regain his health. Emery’s grandmother also died in 2020.”

To remain eligible, a student-athlete has to pass a certain number of hours each semester or a combined amount in a calendar year. Emery’s attorney, Don Jackson, claims that Emery worked hard to get as many credit hours as he could in the spring and summer and was an honor student but still fell three credit hours short because of limits on how many hours he could take.

As for that NCAA waiver I mentioned yesterday, Miller explains it this way: “LSU attempted to get Emery a waiver before the season due to his hardships, but that waiver was denied. LSU sources said multiple other LSU athletes did receive such waivers, and Jackson went as far as saying he’s worked on situations with far less mitigating circumstances than Emery that were reinstated.”

Jackson is seeking reconsideration from the NCAA and is confident that Emery will eventually be reinstated. That confidence stems from the fact that Jackson has represented several other student-athletes dealing with eligibility issues, including former LSU cornerback Kristian Fulton. Jackson was able to get Fulton reinstated a year early following his two-year suspension for cheating a drug test.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
Am I the only one here that believes we all deal with hardships in life, but life goes on? No doubt a lot of bad things happened in 2020, but the world never stopped for anyone. We all handle grief differently, but I don't believe this warrants any special consideration.

I've heard of over seas basketball players not seeing their parents or families for years after coming to the USA for college. College football players going cross country for school and not seeing family. Luke Ford left Georgia to get back to Illinois to play as his grandfather was dying and they denied his request.

At ~20 years old and a prized football player with a potential NFL future, you have to know to keep yourself on track because you have so much to lose and your entire life ahead of uoy.

Top Bottom