| FTBL LeRon McClain and the impact of the '92 NC game vs Miami

Rolltide24

Century Club
I was going but couldn’t wait to watch that one. Our D was nothing but bad ass that season and that may have been their best game. I remember formations when we put all 11 guys on the LOS against their O. Crazy stuff! Good buddy of mine is close with Bill Oliver’s son. Said Mr. Oliver is not doing so good. I think he was the DB coach or something that year. Heck of a defensive mind in my opinion.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
I think he was the DB coach or something that year. Heck of a defensive mind in my opinion.
He coached DB's, but was also the DC.

I have talked with several sales reps that played on the 92 team (most were tackling dummies)......they all hated Oliver when they played for him. Said he was a mean SOB, They respected him, but he was some kind of tough from what they said.

Ironically I worked with a guy that played for Joe Lee Dunn at Miss St. His opinion was much the same. Respected him, but despised him while he was there.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Coach Oliver was well respected!! He was hated between the lines as well. He pushed those guys to their limits and beyond because he knew just how good they could be. As a walk on in '90, I spent part of my practice time with him and he would have me drop back and have the DBs read my shoulders and break and the throw. I would throw anything from a 10 yard out to a go route. It was the beginning of the X Clan that year!!

Rolltide24

Century Club
Coach Oliver was well respected!! He was hated between the lines as well. He pushed those guys to their limits and beyond because he knew just how good they could be. As a walk on in '90, I spent part of my practice time with him and he would have me drop back and have the DBs read my shoulders and break and the throw. I would throw anything from a 10 yard out to a go route. It was the beginning of the X Clan that year!!
That’s pretty cool. I don’t remember the X Clan.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
The DBs named themselves that during that '90 season. It was a "no fly zone" back there. We had some serious ball hawks back there. Sadly, Louisville brought them back down to Earth on that January day in the Fiesta Bowl.
Lousivlle did....was awful...6 + hour game..thought it would never end
I was at Tennessee game.....in 1990
Tennessee ranked 2 or 3....
And bama beat them at Knoxville...shut them down...
those were some pissed UT fans...

FB0A9186-8D22-46C1-9557-D3DD170902C9.jpeg

Last edited:

im4uainva

Sideline Club
I was at the ‘92 game and was shocked at how rude, obnoxious and just plain vulgar the Miami fans were pregame.
i’d already been to Knoxville and Baton Rouge but those fans were like Sunday school classes compared to the Miami fans that night.
They were a little different post game.
Yeah, a large serving of humble pie will definitely create an attitude adjustment relative to one's cockiness. Love it!

ROLL TIDE!

mando

Sideline Club
Yeah, a large serving of humble pie will definitely create an attitude adjustment relative to one's cockiness. Love it!

ROLL TIDE!
That program has not been the same since. Bama seems to do that to programs that are new comers and not built on a solid foundation. Most programs fit into that category. Only a few can truly go toe to toe and recover from a Bama beat down and come back strong. Most just accept their fate (looking at you Barners and Viles).