| RECRUIT 🏀 Latest team ranking follow the commitment of Keon Ellis.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I didn't realize Scout actually still had rankings. I thought they'd been merged/purchased by 247. 🤷‍♂️

A lot like football, rankings are pretty different. I expect to see the Tide jump farther up by Wednesday.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
#6 in the SEC is not good enough. Have to improve that to truly get over the hump. It is certainly trending in that right direction but this is where Oats is going to make or break his success.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
The number of verbals comes into play here...IE: UK, ranked #1, has twice the number of commitments than Bama. LSU, five.

Oats and Hodgson are turning heads with their recruiting efforts. Read this little excerpt from UGA Sport's beat writer, Eric Bossi, on the "Tide Rolling."

After a year in Tuscaloosa, Nate Oats is starting to get things rolling on the recruiting front. Transfer mania continues across the country and more in this week's edition of the Starting Five.​
1. TIDE ROLLING
When Nate Oats was hired to take over the Alabama program, both myself and colleague Corey Evans figured it would only be a matter of time before his impact was felt on the recruiting trail. Well, Oats and his staff appear to have the Crimson Tide rolling.
A little over a week ago they scored big with Canadian combo guard Josh Primo. Over the weekend, they added one of the top junior college players in Keon Ellis.

I watched a fair amount of film on Ellis during the winter and there is a lot to like. He has good size for a wing and is a big-time athlete who is a bouncy finisher off drives and in transition. Even better, he's got a really nice jump shot, deep range and in particular I like his mastery of a step-back dribble move to create space and clean looks. Predicting the impact of juco transfers is always a little tricky, but this guy looks like he could come in and score double-digit points as a junior.

I don't think the Tide are done in 2020, either. On Tuesday, four-star wing Darius Miles of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG is planning on announcing his decision. A skilled wing who can also play some four in a small ball lineup, I like Miles' long-term upside and fit in the SEC. Last week, I made a FutureCast prediction for Alabama as Miles' pick and so far I'm sticking with it. Should Miles end up picking Alabama, their recruiting class will move into the top 20 for 2020.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Yeah I do not follow the basketball recruiting in terms of numbers so I was not sure if he had room and time to makeup ground or not. My point is still valid, Oats success or failure is going to come down to how well he is able to recruit. The foundation if he wants to turn the corner.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
JUCO numbers throw rankings with so many players transferring. Keon Ellis is a good example. Look at the program he's from. Rankings, in his case, likely to be decieving. Almost like a Matre Dei kid versus one from Pineville.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@mando
good company to be with ...

the sack.jpg

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Looks like we got another one today. Oats will really turn this thing around during the off season. Looks like he is hard at it and doing well. Glad to see.

bradenob

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
I see Terry's point BUT.... the SEC has been underrated for YEARS - look at the last 5 Sweet 16 teams - we have been well represented despite the lack of national attention or respect. But NOW things have really heated up. Florida has remained respectable, ucheat has become competetive, the bard has done well, as has LSU. So it has become even harder to compete. Nevertheless, it will remain tough to reach that upper echelon in the SEC if we truly finish 6th in recruiting.

I don't see Petty coming back, but if he and Jones DO return, watch out. I think there is value in a good JUCO player - they are older and more mature. Quinerly and Rojas, as well as Gary, haven't played for us but each are a year older and Rojas and Gary are very familiar with the system despite being injured. Now we have another JUCO kid who will contribute immediately. I don't know how old Miles is but I thought he did a 'post grad' at IMG? Does that mean he is perhaps older? Maturity often helps.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
You see my point ... and I'm still left confused on rankings as to whether they really reflect what's going on with recruiting.

Just as an example, last year 247 had Bama with five commitments, ranked 21st. (FWIW, as a comparison, Auburn was ranked 20th with seven. Kentucky, 2nd, had five last year for a total of 11 over the last two years.)

Here's the thing about this year's current rankings and last years. On 247, you don't see JQ credited to either recruiting class. He's listed as a 5 star transfer but his points were't part of the accumulated score. He's not counted in this years class either.

How is someone supposed to come away with a solid perspective on how a team is doing with a guy like JQ isn't counted?

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Coach Oats' style of play is going to land us A LOT of good ones in the future. That seems to be the one thing that all of these kids mention, is style or tempo of play. Grad transfers will look to Beetle Bolden and the impact he had as well and they too will look to jump on board.

Top Bottom