FTBL Justin Fields leaving Flowbee Cut and Athens to transfer to Ohio State

planomateo

Ready to put Tejas in the rear view, hello Montana
ADMINISTRATION
HARRY'S
Urban's ego is ok with just being a recruiter and Ethics 101 instructor? Doubtful.

No only is Fields leaving Ridley, Hardman, Nauta and HolyField are headed to the draft. So GA losing some significant personnel.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
My only question is will Fields lawyer up and fight the transfer rule? If so, that is obviously going to be a black eye to race relations on campus. And what long-term effects on recruiting?

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
I don't think he should get a hardship. I know a UGA baseball player was showing his ignorance. But you all know any player get more that from fans.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
My only question is will Fields lawyer up and fight the transfer rule? If so, that is obviously going to be a black eye to race relations on campus. And what long-term effects on recruiting?
He's applying for a hardship waiver. Why? Because... ?!?
I've yet to see anything official about what Fields is going to do, or try to do. All speculation at this point, right?

However, it needs to be noted the NCAA wouldn't be granting some "special waiver" or "special exemption" for Justin. It's already in the books as a condition for immediate eligibility.

Two year ago the NCAA's committee had a handful of waivers they were looking through and among those were cases of what they called "egregious behavior." That behavior included staff members as well as other students at previous schools.

It's specifically spelled out that if a student was a victim of "objective, documented egregious behavior" by either of those two mentioned earlier and the staff at the schools agrees this type of behavior existed (and supports the waiver) the player may receive immediate eligibility.

It's documented that a baseball player used racial epitaphs against Justin. He was "punished" (read kicked off the baseball team) by the administration at UGA for those actions after the school’s Equal Opportunity Office investigation.

The question comes in at this point, "does the previous University (here, UGA) support the waiver?"

As I read over the rule I can clearly see where Justin has his "case." The only thing I can see blocking immediate eligibility would be UGA trying to block him.

Here's the question at hand: Do you expect UGA and their administration to fight his eligibility when his transfer is already covered in the NCAA rule book as being allowed and they've already admitted to the behavior by punishing the player who was the original offender?

BamaFan334

Verified Member
He's applying for a hardship waiver. Why? Because... ?!?
I've yet to see anything official about what Fields is going to do, or try to do. All speculation at this point, right?

However, it needs to be noted the NCAA wouldn't be granting some "special waiver" or "special exemption" for Justin. It's already in the books as a condition for immediate eligibility.

Two year ago the NCAA's committee had a handful of waivers they were looking through and among those were cases of what they called "egregious behavior." That behavior included staff members as well as other students at previous schools.

It's specifically spelled out that if a student was a victim of "objective, documented egregious behavior" by either of those two mentioned earlier and the staff at the schools agrees this type of behavior existed (and supports the waiver) the player may receive immediate eligibility.

It's documented that a baseball player used racial epitaphs against Justin. He was "punished" (read kicked off the baseball team) by the administration at UGA for those actions after the school’s Equal Opportunity Office investigation.

The question comes in at this point, "does the previous University (here, UGA) support the waiver?"

As I read over the rule I can clearly see where Justin has his "case." The only thing I can see blocking immediate eligibility would be UGA trying to block him.

Here's the question at hand: Do you expect UGA and their administration to fight his eligibility when his transfer is already covered in the NCAA rule book as being allowed and they've already admitted to the behavior by punishing the player who was the original offender?
My question here is that is in fact the slur affected him enough to give him a hardship waiver, then why did he proceed to stay on the team? if it truly affected him and made him no longer want to be in Athens, stay on the team, or felt threatened, then why did he stay on the team, travel to the bowl game, and keep playing? maybe he doesn't have to prove any of that, but these ways of sliding in and out of the rules by bending them is why society itself is in such disarray.

I watched an hour story about that "Affluenza" teen and it just pissed me off how he got away with killing folks and hurting others when countless others have gone to jail for life for the same and much less. Obviously apples and oranges here due to severity and topic, but just using as an example of bending laws and exploiting them with obscure ideals.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
My question here is that is in fact the slur affected him enough to give him a hardship waiver, then why did he proceed to stay on the team? if it truly affected him and made him no longer want to be in Athens, stay on the team, or felt threatened, then why did he stay on the team, travel to the bowl game, and keep playing? maybe he doesn't have to prove any of that, but these ways of sliding in and out of the rules by bending them is why society itself is in such disarray.

I watched an hour story about that "Affluenza" teen and it just pissed me off how he got away with killing folks and hurting others when countless others have gone to jail for life for the same and much less. Obviously apples and oranges here due to severity and topic, but just using as an example of bending laws and exploiting them with obscure ideals.

Most laws in society are written with very little thought to justice for the victim. The judicial side of things has much more to do with the lawyers who get to adjudicate guilt and innocence based on the rules they themselves have instituted. In short, there is very little justice.

The bylaws from the NCAA are actually a lot less vague and seldom open to case by case interpretation because they aren't in the business of individual's doing their own thing. That was of course before they decided to loosen things up about transfers as graduate students and sanctions and whatever is next. It's going to be interesting.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave

Hard to say. Racism is an ugly word that most universities wouldn't want attached to their name. Given the number of African Americans on the campus and the individual who has already been expelled from the University, it's hard to say. From my viewpoint, it seems over the years that transfers have been more about how the head coach feels about it and how far he wants to push his point. You know they absolutely hate to create precedence of tolerance for this type of behavior.

Personally, I'd cut him loose.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Why knock on the kid? UGA didn't work out. He's looking for greener pastures. I hope he finds them.
Gotta agree with OldPlayer here. Not sure why folks are hacking on this kid. Kirby/Chaney basically stuck him in the game at random spots to either hand off the ball or ???? (see 4th and 11)

He does not fit what I see as the UGA offense that Kirby seems determined to run. Honestly didn't see him as a good fit there from the beginning.

As far as the "hardship waiver" I have only seen speculation that he would use it. I will say that the use of the racial slur was very well documented and came from another UGA athlete, not some rando fan. I will also say that the excuse "other folks have heard the same" doesn't stand for crap IMO.

I hate seeing people tell someone how they should react to be called that word.

Seems like Urban/OSU didn't didn't tell the real story on Fields/OSU connection to the QB recruit that switched to UGA.

Georgia QB signee Dwan Mathis arrives in Athens

Mathis chose to sign with the Bulldogs and decommit from Ohio State on Dec. 19 after a late push from the Georgia football staff.

Former Bulldogs’ backup Justin Fields had been talking with the Buckeyes about transferring into Columbus, leading Mathis to consider other options.
“I called before I went in to sign, I had papers from both schools in front of me,” Mathis said. “… I asked if they were talking to Justin Fields, and I got a ‘No’ ”
Mathis, however, said all signs on social media suggested otherwise, and he originally been enticed to come to Georgia during a visit in July of 2017.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
HARRY'S
Seems like Urban/OSU didn't didn't tell the real story on Fields/OSU connection to the QB recruit that switched to UGA.

Georgia QB signee Dwan Mathis arrives in Athens

Mathis chose to sign with the Bulldogs and decommit from Ohio State on Dec. 19 after a late push from the Georgia football staff.

Former Bulldogs’ backup Justin Fields had been talking with the Buckeyes about transferring into Columbus, leading Mathis to consider other options.
“I called before I went in to sign, I had papers from both schools in front of me,” Mathis said. “… I asked if they were talking to Justin Fields, and I got a ‘No’ ”
Mathis, however, said all signs on social media suggested otherwise, and he originally been enticed to come to Georgia during a visit in July of 2017.
Urban being dishonest - there's a first.

bamafan9201

Verified Member
Georgia got that huge boost early on, they'll need to show they can truly recruit and reload this year. I'm interested to see if they start trending downwards this year or not.

Top Bottom