| FTBL Just to be clear Dan Wolken is a condescending dick.

LeGarrette

Century Club
Reaction score
He appears to have a tiny head in his twitter profile image.

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
A rancid douchecanoe of the highest level

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I don't follow him but enough of his stuff finds its way onto my timeline. Find me someone in the sports media who complains and bitches about shit more constantly than he does. He's pretty much doing it with that tweet, its a preemptive complaint.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
On numerous occasions I've seen people say that Wolken, and his ilk, want the football season canceled (even if it affects their employment.) I don't quite buy that even though it certainly reads that way at times.

I do believe, wholeheartedly, that there are several in this group who are looking forward to the day they'll be able to say "I told you so."

bamafan4ever

Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Why pigeonhole yourself into a conclusive corner to begin with when absolutely no one knows what will happen in late September aside from those who have already capitulated? Then, they force their narrative until the bitter end. It's just idiotic.

Those unwilling to adapt their thoughts to facts that are ever-changing are damning themselves to look like fools in the end unless they are lucky at taking wild ass guesses.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Something a few years ago changed with Dan. He used to be a good follow in my opinion.

But then again, maybe I've changed...

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
He got busted and when called out it either exposed him for what he's always been or changed the man. I suspect it's the former, not the latter.

He lost a lot of credibility back then and it had nothing to do with it being Tennessee.

What's crazy? He got caught trying to shape a narrative.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
From what little sample size I've seen (and I could be way off here), it sort of looks like the line has been drawn in the sand between 2 groups in the national media... The side that never played CFB before and seems to be rooting on a season cancellation vs. the side that has played and understands the challenges but also understands the importance of playing the season.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
It's a little weird when I think about guys like Klatt and Kanell and how they've reported on college football teams and conferences in the past and how often I've disagreed with their takes. And yet, it seems like the guys from Fox Sports are the ones approaching this with a level mindset. Hell, even Travis and Whitlock have made some really good points over the last few weeks.

bamascw

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Even amidst the pandemic, the media is still all about shining a light upon themselves. Every reporter wants some spotlight so their name can be spoken to the masses and they can get some press time.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
In case you missed it, let me reference you to a post made by @Brandon Van de Graaff in this thread yesterday.

Personally, I have to stop using the word "media" when talking about the reports we read. Yes, it's true, but it's also a catch-all. Brandon hit the nail on the head here. There are two distinct groups. One, what I'll call "beat reporters." In that group I'm talking about the guys how are on the "front lines." Your GameDay guys, folks we see on Saturday mornings covering this weeks SEC games. The likes of Tebow, Spears, Klatt, Torres, et. al. These guys, who have been on the field of play and understand what these kids are facing, don't approach the story in the same light as the group I'll call "opinion guys." They don't have a beat, a team, just an opinion on college football as a whole: sometimes doing as far down the proverbial chain to opining on conferences and teams. Pat Forde, Dennis Dodd, Dan Wolken, Dan Wetzel, and several others fall into this category.

That latter group? It's a clique that wants the spotlight and wants to construct their own stories. The former? I see the majority supporting #WeWantToPlay

Top Bottom