| MBB/WBB John Petty announces he's returning to Alabama for next season

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
There's nothing official from JP. He has been working out with the team on campus. That seems to me as a pretty good sign, but I don't know of anyone who knows if he's gone or staying.

I did see an article in the last day or two projecting him as high as an 18 pick. If I were him, I'd be gone.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Hope him the best how every he goes.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Where did you see that? Would you be surprised with that? I would be. Maybe if he came back and had a great season I could see it but not just based on what he has done so far. Maybe someone is looking at potential but I would still be surprised if he went that high.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Today is the deadline for JP. We'll know something soon!

Bama Club
Reaction score
I fully expected him back. It's a good thing with all the new players leadership is needed.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
HUGE!!! He is going to make us a Top 15 team out of the gate. His transformation from Sophomore to Junior season was amazing. His jump this year in another year in the system with teammates that fit it is going to help him so much. Tough decision, but one that will not hurt him whether he helps his draft position or earns his degree. Roll Tide!

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Actually surprised but glad to see it. Hope it indeed works out for Mr Petty. If it does Coach Oats can use this as an example to others if they are on the bubble of leaving and staying. Would be awesome to first have a season and secondly for Petty to have a huge statement year.

Ok so with this announcement will someone else need to leave the team to make room on the roster?

alabamajack

Sideline Club
Reaction score
As the team stands now, what should be the strength and weaknesses of this team? One thing I would like to see an improvement in is free throw shooting.

Bama Club
Reaction score
This is one of the most athletic teams I can remember in some time long skilled guys that can shoot it. I just hope we get to see them play especially for JQ since he had to sit out last year.

bradenob

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
The weakness last year, according to Oats, was the lack of defense, and a part of that was how many offensvie rebounds were allowed. The bigs coming in are VERY long, and athletic, so they should improve on both fronts tremendously.

Maddening turnovers continued througout the year, thought the actual number decreased. JQ has been practicing with the team, and Jones and Petty will help. Turnovers need to be minimized and the experience at guard is not extensive.

Free throw shooting was bad, and hopefully will improve.

This team will have a year of Oats expectations of fast play, and spreading the floor with shooting, especially the 3pt shooting. With almost every recruit able to shoot decently, plus the return of Petty and Shackleford, and even Reese shooting 3s,, expect the Tide to run the Oats offense more effectively. I have no idea how well JQ can shoot the three. Primo, the young Canadian 6-6 guard, can shoot from outside. Oats has emphasized that ALL the players coming in can stretch the court with outside shooting.

Rojas has been with the team, and was a JUCO All-American. Very athletic. Will add to the ability to drive to the rim. The same goes for Juwan Gary, who was injured and had to redshirt. Jones will be a year better on offense.

Bottome line - offense should be even better than last year, but there will be a huge emphasis on defense and rebounding, which the players have great ability to respond to. On free throw shooting, we shall see. And, while a lot of people wil consider the Tide to be young, Petty and Reese, and Jones, will be seasoned juniors, while Quinerly has worked out for a whole year with the team. Rojas is an older JUCO player and Keon Ellis is another JUCO transfer, while Jordan Bruner is a 5th year senior. It's a good balance.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Changing the subject a bit, but continuing on balance.

When Oats was hired I looked over the stats from his teams in Buffalo. In this case, for this conversation, I go back to something we watched a lot last season (especially when injuries really starting taking their toll,) playing time/rotation.

We can look at this roster and see, easily, a ten man rotation. As mentioned, there are a lot of different personnel groupings he can use. With his most successful team in Buffalo I remember seeing he had nine guys who were averaging 10+ minutes per game. I also recall about a third of those guys were 30 minutes or more.

In baseball, I've always been of the opinion a good team is always strong up the middle: C,P,S,2nd, CF.
In basketball, I've had a mindset a lot like Phil Jackson's teams; a strong three man unit.

This roster, mixed with Oats past rotations...

Top Bottom