| FTBL Jaylen Waddle injury news

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
That pretty much summed it up for as well. I hate it for him because as CNS said "All of college football lost a great player today." The dude was is the most dynamic player in the game.

The game almost felt like a loss because we lost him.

BTW, that makes two players now banged up by those puke orange viles... This makes me hate them even more. I was hoping we scored 100 on them yesterday after that play.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Wouldn't make sense for him to come back. Could it impact his draft position? Possibly but not necessarily, especially if the medicals come back positive (which I'm sure they will). Some teams gets more spooked about that stuff than others, and there are a lot of variables in play even when a guy is 100% healthy. But in the end, he's going to get paid well, and if I was betting today, even with the talent rich WR draft class, he will still end up selected on Day 1.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
In my amateur view I had Waddle in that 6-10 ish range... Taking into consideration through my Crimson glasses what he would have done this year on the biggest stages. (The value of Tyreke Hill types, elite returner, etc.)

I can't see him falling out of the 1st round, but now more in that 20+ range. No matter how you cut it, an injury in the draft year can only hurt a guys stock.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I've seen he and D. Smith kind of go back in fourth in mock draft value over the months. What has impressed me about D Smith is just the consistency and toughness he's played with. When he first got here you'd see the thin frame and wonder how long he can last. But the last 2 years he's really shown he can take a lick, block, and make tough plays in big moments.

On the other hand I think Waddle because of the more compact frame plays with a little more strength & explosiveness. Smith may be the more well rounded guy but we saw how the NFL can value the deep ball when Ruggs went before Jeudy. The punt return thing is huge as well (did he muff 1 in 3 years??). You mentioned the attitude/personality that Jaylen has shown... Such a great aspect of his value. Never 1 time has he outwardly shown discontent with his limited roles or opportunities, when he's literally had the biggest gripe of anyone in the country. Smith on the other hand has shown a little bit of that on the sidelines... Certainly not at a concerning level, but we just haven't seen that from JW.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I will say this, I just reached out a few minutes ago to my friend Tony Pauline. I've known Tony for nearly 15 years, and IMO, he's the best NFL Draft guy in the business. The disclaimer here is, we don't know how bad the injury is yet, and I'd imagine Saban will offer an update on Monday (if there isn't a press release before then). But, Tony said at this point, with this injury, Waddle should seriously consider coming back to Bama for another season. Said this would impact him a big way ($$$) on draft day. Again though, I'll say that at this point, we don't know just how bad it is. I was kinda surprised by his take, but I trust him more than any draft guy in the business and he sure as hell knows a lot more than me.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Interesting so the belief must be that this kind of injury is performance impacting. I was thinking if a high ankle with fracture and Drake came back from it w/o issues probably not a big deal. Purely a non educated position. As you say the severity of the injury should become clear in the next day or two.

94 Grad

Century Club
Reaction score
Just depends... if he’s projected in bottom end of round 1 and if he stays can move up into the top end of round 1 it a bunch of money.

Then again, you always risk injury again and dropping even lower or out completely and bottom of round 1 money ain’t nothing to sneeze at.

if it was me... I’d leave if I was projected bottom of round 1. The money isn’t as much, but on the upside you more than likely go to a better team.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
It's all relative... But if you saw the difference in $ over the first contract between the say 7th pick and the 27th pick, it's very significant.

1st round is a legit cut off for a lot of reasons, but all 1st rounders aren't created =. One time I did the math on Tua dropping just 2 spots after his injury and it was significant.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Can't remember for sure but I think he was saying not long after the hip injury that he was likely headed to the NFL regardless (he confirmed that a few days before Tua announced) but that his draft stock would boil down to the medical opinions of the teams.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The way he comes back to the ball amazes me. His development has just been amazing. The burst of speed starting his sophomore year against Louisville really surprised me, and I technically felt he was better than Jeiudy and Ruggs. He saved an interception against Georgia by coming back to the ball Mac threw late and just stole it from a defender. His body control is off the charts, just like Waddle. Smith is an all around guy.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
Reaction score
It's all a gamble. Even going into yesterday I'm told there are things he needed to improve on, so coming out last year in the deep class might not have been the best idea. This class is deep too in WR's. Sucks that it happened, but the initial word yesterday was that it wasn't a horrible deal (with his ankle). I don't know if that has changed, but I think he will be ok. But the point was made that for WR's, it's the type of injury that scares teams. Also, I don't know if UA's policy on loss of value insurance changed in the last year (I very seriously doubt it has), but there's nothing stopping the families of some of these guys from getting the insurance (basically requires taking out a loan), so it is possible that he has that as well.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Waddle is in quite a bit of pain after the procedure but all in all in a good "mental" place. I'm told the procedure went as well as expected.

He's looking at several months for his rehabilitation. As you may recall with Drake (practically the same type of injury) he spent right at nine weeks in the boot.

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
UT struck again. Lattimore, Chubb, Tua (at least they didn’t end his season or career), and now Waddle.

Top Bottom