| PRO In what shouldn't be a surprise, the MLB is getting sued for 100 million for moving the All-Star game.

TerryP

Ivory Club
“MLB robbed the small businesses of Atlanta – many of them minority-owned – of $100 million, we want the game back where it belongs,” said Alfredo Ortiz, president and CEO of the Job Creators Network. “This was a knee-jerk, hypocritical and illegal reaction to misinformation about Georgia’s new voting law which includes Voter-ID. Major League Baseball itself requests ID at will-call ticket windows at Yankee Stadium in New York, Busch Stadium in St. Louis and at ballparks all across the country.”

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
When I first hear about this move. I was thinking it's going hurt a lot of small owners. But the MLB knew this was going to happen. Another company fell to the other ones!

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
What defense do they have?

I have no interest in defending MLB, in fact I sent emails to their core sponsors following this decision, but if I were to defend it I’d pore over all contracts that probably show the wide latitude that MLB retained to move the game. Ancillary businesses, in general, have no contractual relationship with MLB, they are simply acting on the opportunity. Sort of like the speculators who entered into agreements when Amazon was going to NYC.

Personally, I’m curious how much MLB paid the Braves when they cancelled. I presume they were made whole.

RTR,

Tim

TerryP

Ivory Club
I have no interest in defending MLB, in fact I sent emails to their core sponsors following this decision, but if I were to defend it I’d pore over all contracts that probably show the wide latitude that MLB retained to move the game. Ancillary businesses, in general, have no contractual relationship with MLB, they are simply acting on the opportunity. Sort of like the speculators who entered into agreements when Amazon was going to NYC.

Personally, I’m curious how much MLB paid the Braves when they cancelled. I presume they were made whole.

RTR,

Tim
This may be interesting.

TerryP

Ivory Club
I would think the local government would have more basis to sue due to taxes being tied up in stadiums and such. This could just be a public relations move to try to make MLB look bad/worse.
According to the attorney above they have a chance based on "detrimental reliance." He'll be talking about the case on his podcast tonight. I'll check it out tomorrow morning when I'm biking.

alabamajack

Sideline Club
I am just flabbergasted at how politically correct our country has become. I do not need nor want sports figures, moviestars or companies telling me how I should feel. I watch sports to watch sports and movies to be entertained. I buy a product if I like it and if I don't like it, I don't buy it. Just to use this site for example. I come here to see sports information and occasionally, current events. First of all, I believe 100 percent that if anyone ever used a racist word or threatened someone that they would get rightfully banned. That being said, even though we sometimes disagree and probably some posters do not like other posters, this site isn't ran by snowflakes who will delete a post that they don't agree with

TerryP

Ivory Club
At terryp, and i thought I was the only Crimson Tide loving, club swinging, cycling enthusiast in the (soon not to be) free world!
Every time I get the chance I'm out. What kind of biking? Trail, road, what?

I LOVE this Giant I picked up a few months ago...bit of a decision between it and a Gravity. I'll tell ya...road a Jeep for almost 15 years and literally wore it out. Hated to let it go like one would a vehicle they'd had for that long.

Rolltide24

Century Club
Terry and his Giant… You might appreciate this but it’s not cruiser related. Good buddy of mine lost his dad in Sept. we’ve been going through his old storage buildings and found dozens of cases of old school BMX parts from a bike shop he closed in 1982. Parts are still in their packages. Found the stuff late January. I’ve sold about $75k worth through eBay and directly to repeat buyers so far. I keep a few items listed at a time because I don’t have time to mess with it. Stuff is worth the price of gold to some guys. And we keep finding more. It’s fun selling this stuff and meeting guys in the bike culture. Most of these guys are 40-50’s and reliving their childhood with bikes they couldn’t afford back then.

Top Bottom