| LIFE I’m leaving the company

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I’ve been a store manager after 17 years. These last two years have been hell because of not enough help and/or sub par help and working a lot of hours but you get ridiculed if you’re sick.
I let them know I was putting in a two week notice and the first thing out of HR’s mouth was, “if you don’t put in a 4 week notice you’ll lose your earned vacation time.”
Not, what’s going on? How can we keep you? Or anything like that. I would like someone in corporate to ask themselves why a manager of 17 years would even consider leaving. Their loss.
Anyway, should I be totally honest in the exit interview or professional?
Pete

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
That’s not all of the reasons, just a few.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Be honest, it could potentially help your co-workers. I don't like regrets, and saying things you should have said eat at me.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
You can be both honest and professional if you do it right. I was in a similar situation a few years ago with a company I had been with for 10 years. I had a unique perspective on some things because of my position (as I'm sure you do), and I think they appreciated my honesty.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
At this point in my career, I have to care to give feedback. If I don't think it's gonna do any good, then I don't give it.

That being said, I doubt you'll even get an exit interview.

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I preciate your replies, and @planomateo, I’m like you. I really don’t care because if they wanted my opinion they would have asked already. I know they are glad to get rid of my salary and pay someone a half or a little more than half of what I make.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I'd give them honest, professional feedback. Most companies won't give an honest reference these days, just "yes he/she worked here", but vindictive HR's can still hurt you. It sounds like this company lacks the vision to be inward or outward looking, though. I'd just follow their rules, get my pay for the leave, and be on my way.

Good luck to you. Many can't turn from the comfort of a familiar job, even if it's unhealthy for them. Are you leaving without another job, or is there something waiting for you?

RTR,

Tim

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Honesty and professionalism can both be achieved. It's kind of the difference between telling someone to go jump in a lake or giving them a documented list of reasons they suck (without mentioning their name) and having them decide to do it themselves.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
If you get a chance to speak, do it in a professional but truthful manner. When you are a store manager, you do have to work very long hours and I assume you are salary. It doesn't matte if you work 45 hours or 70 hours, you get the same pay. I think from reading between the lines, you are fed up with "workers" who do not show up for a shift, always have an emergency and need to leave early, do not work when they are actually on the clock, etc.. The stress just gets to you after awhile. Do they allow you to hire your own workers? If not, they may be something you want to address. Do not give up your vacation time for any reason. If you need to stay 4 weeks to get paid, stay! You already have 17 in so a 2 extra weeks will not hurt you. Blessings my brother.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Best of luck!

Top Bottom