| OT I shoot for sport so this ticks me off. "BREAKING: The House just voted in favor of making magazines over 15 rounds illegal."

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Senate will be a hurdle. But… shouldn’t he say “this would turn many of the MAGS that you probably own into felonies”? I don’t see where the guns themselves would be illegal.
As one example, take a gun like a Sig P365 XL. It comes with a 15 round magazine. If you were to take a seven round magazine it won't fit. Not only is the magazine banned, but the gun is by default.

It's not limited to just that gun.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
As one example, take a gun like a Sig P365 XL. It comes with a 15 round magazine. If you were to take a seven round magazine it won't fit. Not only is the magazine banned, but the gun is by default.

It's not limited to just that gun.
Let's just say this passes. Magazines the size of your 15 rounder would come with a spacer in the bottom so to hold only 14.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Let's just say this passes. Magazines the size of your 15 rounder would come with a spacer in the bottom so to hold only 14.
A magazine that can contain 15 rounds, right? If you had four bullets in a 15 round mag while arrested you'd get charged for the 15 round magazine. How is it any different with one spacer?

"It's a 15 round mag but I only loaded 10?" That defense wouldn't work.

I haven't seen anything with spacers as a 'qualifier.'

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
A magazine that can contain 15 rounds, right? If you had four bullets in a 15 round mag while arrested you'd get charged for the 15 round magazine. How is it any different with one spacer?

"It's a 15 round mag but I only loaded 10?" That defense wouldn't work.

I haven't seen anything with spacers as a 'qualifier.'
No, I'm saying a magazine that is manufactured to the size to fit your Sig, but designed to only hold 14. It would simply have a dead space or a permanent spacer in the bottom below the spring taking enough space for the mag to hold just 14.

I'm not talking in terms of a plug for your shotgun.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
No, I'm saying a magazine that is manufactured to the size to fit your Sig, but designed to only hold 14. It would simply have a dead space or a permanent spacer in the bottom below the spring taking enough space for the mag to hold just 14.

I'm not talking in terms of a plug for your shotgun.
Ahhh. I see what you're saying.

So, in the unintended consequences category, we have the legislature potentially sending millions of people to the gun store.

Rolltide24

Century Club
They already make mags special for California to abide by there laws. They’d make them for likely many more guns that didn’t already have mags that qualified. I’ve got 3 pistols with mags that hold 20-22 rounds. But I’ve got no doubt Sig and Springfield Armory and FN would produce new mags for them if they don’t already.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
BTW, It appears to be 10 rounds, not 15. And it would not include possessing currently existing ones, but you could never sell or transfer them again.

“(42) The term ‘large capacity ammunition feeding device’—

“(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; and

“(B) does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

(v) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

“(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of enactment of this subsection.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Not going pass. Gonna be used a a strategy tactic in election.....thats all...
Often laws are passed by one element of congress ...full well knowing the other element wont pass or President will veto..

And 15 round mag more dangerous in hands of a demented idiot than 14 round mag....

Good lord.......the common denominator isnt the mag...the gun...the age to purchase....etc...

Rolltide24

Century Club
BTW, It appears to be 10 rounds, not 15. And it would not include possessing currently existing ones, but you could never sell or transfer them again.
the silver lining would be my wife can’t nag me sell anything. Sold one firearm in my life and only because I inherited a pistol that I saw my uncle hold to head when he was drunk and in despair when I was in high school. It just had a bad stigma to me.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
the silver lining would be my wife can’t nag me sell anything. Sold one firearm in my life and only because I inherited a pistol that I saw my uncle hold to head when he was drunk and in despair when I was in high school. It just had a bad stigma to me.

That's a tough one, a gun with a bad memory. I've promised myself that as I add guns I'll use money from selling some others, but as I've handled them over the years they all have good memories for me. I took my oldest to the sporting clays course at CMP, first time I'd every done it. Easier than shooting doves, that's for sure, and my son regretted insisting that we keep score. Went with two buddies the other day, one who is a great marksman, former military, qualified at 600 yards at CMP with his AR and limited optics. Hitting something on the go was something else, though. I use my Remington 1100 my Dad gave me when I was 13, and my son used a St. Louis made Remington on the Browning Auto 5 patent, sweet shooting 20 gauge that was manufactured in 1941. Mine was about 44 years old, his just over 80. They never wear out.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
That's a tough one, a gun with a bad memory. I've promised myself that as I add guns I'll use money from selling some others, but as I've handled them over the years they all have good memories for me. I took my oldest to the sporting clays course at CMP, first time I'd every done it. Easier than shooting doves, that's for sure, and my son regretted insisting that we keep score. Went with two buddies the other day, one who is a great marksman, former military, qualified at 600 yards at CMP with his AR and limited optics. Hitting something on the go was something else, though. I use my Remington 1100 my Dad gave me when I was 13, and my son used a St. Louis made Remington on the Browning Auto 5 patent, sweet shooting 20 gauge that was manufactured in 1941. Mine was about 44 years old, his just over 80. They never wear out.
Man, Tim. This is a loaded post.

one who is a great marksman, former military, qualified at 600 yards at CMP with his AR and limited optics.

Define limited optics. No scope?

Self-awareness. I realize I'm one can short of a case. SWIDT?

I told my guns to hit the target, the bullseye, years ago. NOW I know what the problem has been.

That's a tough one, a gun with a bad memory.

Top Bottom