| FTBL I hate what football has become these days

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out how Lane was able to scheme our DB's into running away from ball carriers, get beat over the top in a prevent defense situation, and undercut routes on balls they have no chance of intercepting....

Seriously though - Last time I checked, there are 2 sidelines allowed to have a great game plan, make adjustments, and/or take responsibility for their own preparation and execution. If you're going to point out a Coach having an extraordinarily well "schemed" game, it's fair to point out who they're taking advantage of. {Insert Dead Horse emoji}

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).

All of this is true. I'm just saying Lane is a special case. He's a genius in certain cases, but will lay an egg here and there with a terrible gameplan and execution. This game checked all his boxes - motivation to stick it to Saban, familiarity with the defense he's going against unlike any other, and he had tons of special tricks ready to unleash (and he had nothing to lose being a big underdog at OM).

Whether this is replicable or not remains to be seen. Todd Monken is a very good OC, but UGA's offense isn't anything like OM, and their QB doesn't provide the issues Corral did. Ole Miss made Bama play 11 on 11 football, and ran with tempo and RPOs from the best lineage to ever do it (Baylor offense with Kiffin's WCO tweaks). Just not having to play 11 on 11, at the warp speed Ole Miss did makes this weekend much different.

Now, I am gunshy as to whether the D can stop UGA but that feeling is still tainted from what we all saw vs. Ole Miss.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score

Sarkisian vs. Dan Lanning/Kirby Smart is the untalked about matchup this weekend. UGA's D is ferocious and fast, but they can be had in the pass game if you don't get to 3rd and long all the time, and if you can pass protect.

If Sark finds any blocking schemes to get the run game going, then UGA's D will have no chance to slow down the Bama offense.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Georgia has given up some big play TDs, believe they've given up three 40+ yd TDs.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score

True. Some of this is mitigated by a great gameplan. If Sark can use the run game and quick passes early to get ahead of the chains and move the ball, UGA won't be able to attack the same way. And that will set up the play action deep shots, which UGA doesn't want to see, as they can't cover everyone in those scenarios.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I don't know the numbers this year, but last season (in limited snaps), Mac Jones led the nation in highest yards per attempt on play action passes (Burrow was #2). Would imagine it will be a big part of the game plan on Saturday. Also wouldn't be shocked to see #22 make some plays on screens if the pass rush remains aggressive.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Get O in rhythm..... surely Nicks-gonna tightn D up ....
He had all day sunday to see the problem

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Agree this has been obvious for a couple of years. However simply fixing some fundamental technique things would help big time. As Saban often says, pay attention to details and do your job. Tackling fundamentals would solve a lot of issues. I have to wonder if Saban reduced the amount of live activities in practice to reduce risk of injury? Obviously missing spring practice has not helped.

Top Bottom