| FTBL Hugh Freeze

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
I know you are comparing Liberty and I really do not know much about their program but if he went to OM why not? Is there really much difference in SC and what he had at OM? I guess OM does have more history but that was 50-60 years ago. Freeze would probably equal Spurriers success there. Personally I do not think he will go there but that is because I still think the SEC office will block it.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
A few things I think need to be set aside here. One, this notion "it's in the SEC. It's playing for national championships." Sure, at some schools it does translate to a title shot. But, we're talking about UofSC here. They don't have "lots" to offer or we'd be seeing "lots" more talent there and we would have seen a lot more talent there.

There is a difference between Liberty and UofSC: the same applies to Ole Miss to a degree. Going back to my earlier post:

Facilities. We know how they affect a program both from recruiting and how well a team is built, physically. Liberty, hands down, is in better shape than UofSC.

Money. Last season Freeze received a new contract putting him in the top ten for non P-5 coaches. He just received what's reported to be a large raise. He's making more now than coaches in the SEC.

Next season? Look at their rosters. Liberty is in far better shape heading into 2021-22 than UofSC: especially at the QB position which is KEY with Freeze and his offense.

Like you @mando , I don't see Freeze headed to 'Cola. It has more to do with what UofSC is today, now, than it does with what they might be. I get your Spurrier reference here but let's consider this along with that.

In the last of his 11 win seasons Spurrier was facing an eight win UGA team with UT and UF having worse records. The teams they beat that season out of the East with "good records" included a nine win Vandy and a 12 win Missouri: both teams we've seen a lot of fans say "they don't belong in the SEC." Spurrier had a good run in Columbia largely because of what a lot of Bama fans were complaining about: teams like Missouri winning the east because that side of the conference was down. (2012 being his best season.)

A pertinent question here. Why did Ole Miss hire Freeze? How much of it was due to knowing how he'd recruit? Remember, he was an Assistant Athletic Director for football external affairs all the while Orgeron was recruiting in the manner he was. How does a high school coach get an athletic director job? How similar is this to LSU hiring one of their own when the NCAA shit hit the fan? My answer, they knew what they were getting. (Hell, they knew what they were getting when they hired him as HC at Ole Miss. They didn't forget the accusations of Freeze having engaged in inappropriate conduct with female students while at Briarcrest. They ignored those stories only to find out about his "activities" when a reporter found out through FOIA requests for cell records.

As another question just to close this series of thoughts out.

Why would UofSC hire a guy who has been found to being playing around with the "hand tug gang," and also has been accused of sexual improprieties with high school girls?

If they go the Freeze route, more power to them. If he chooses to take the UofSC job it'll serve as a stepping stone. In fact, I'd dare say he'd be taking a step back from where he was at Ole Miss in pay, talent, and facilities.

In my opinion, if he indeed wants back in the SEC, he'll wait until Pruitt is fired and he gets a shot at the job he has wanted for a lifetime.

Reaction score
There was a TIME when the history of Hugh Freeze would have prevented him from EVER getting another HC job. Those days are long gone.

This isn't your father's college football NOR country.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
reallly...USCe has no shot at NCs or SECchampionship?
Doesnt take but couple recruiting classes and get tha "Cam/Burrow.." QB

its not the blue bloods of sec. But......

you kidding.....Tennessee.....shit thats why we want him at USCe.....not TN...orAU
Having TN ground in dirt is the most greatest thing

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
On another what-if, how would Kirby have done at South Carolina during this same time? He was headed there before UGA moved quickly to dump Richt.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
We're just a little bit removed from reading a claim here that Ole Miss has always been a "wanna be" and will always continue to be a "wanna be." But now, all it takes is for the to get a Cam/Burrow? That's is only a small part of their story: each of their stories. Take Auburn as one example here. Are you dismissing Dyer, or Fairley? And I'm only naming a few here...

You're bringing back a point I made earlier and reinforcing the magnitude. With those teams they had a roster that had a lot of talent. When it comes to Freeze and UofSC (vs Liberty) he has that roster now in Lynchburg, he'd have to develop one in Columbia.

And what do those in Columbia feel about Freeze? Here's a Golden Spur, alum of UofSC, and a guy closely tied to their athletic department today. What are they thinking about when it comes to Hugh?

As of last night and again this morning: I've spoken to more than half of a dozen of "football influencers" around the UofSC program and to a person they point to Napier.
You're missing the point here. Your comments are about what you think Freeze should do, or where he should coach, without any regard to what Freeze wants to do or where he wants to coach.

jlabit

Verified Member
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Michigan is a dumpster fire under Harbaugh. I think this is his last season there. Michigan has money and the facilities. About the only strong competition in the Big 10 is Ohio State. First and foremost, Michigan is not in the SEC, where he would have to go through Sankey to coach. I believe Michigan will get him.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Not much different. Culturally, it's a very odd fit. I guess the only thing better is that Michigan is running a semblance of a spread offense now under Gattis, and presumably has recruited to it for a couple cycles. In 2008, they had only pro style recruits trying to shoe-horn into an offense RRod had and nobody fit.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
It'll take another two years of great recruiting classes to get that team where a guy like Freeze could do well. It's been a problem with all pieces fitting together at the right time. Take last year where they had a pretty good offensive line but struggled at the skill positions. This season they've got a few skill players but issues on the line they have to address.

It my view that it's an odd fit as well; culturally. Considering what I know of their fan base, how they've acted towards fans across the south, I'd dare say they look at Hugh as a hayseed (no offense to the Nix's.)

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Here are the national ranking for their offensive skill guys for 2019 and 2020.
2019 #8 nationally overall
RB- 46
WR- 175, 303,958
TE- 346
QB- 268

2020 #14 nationally
RB- 129
WR- 102( highest player in class) 354
TE- 400
QB- No ranking
Still not A LOT of good pieces for Freeze to work with to be honest.

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think Freeze is a terrible cultural fit in Ann Arbor. It's not a shot at Michigan or Freeze, it's just reality.

I think overall Michigan is just lacking in talent, especially on offense. When I was young, Michigan has NFL OL in droves, NFL QBs, and RBs and WRs everyone wanted. Their opt outs didn't help this year, but they don't have any Wheatleys or Biakabutukas at RB, no Toomers, Howards, or Manninghams at WR.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
It's clear Jim isn't the answer in Ann Arbor.

I won't be surprised at all if they make a run at Hugh. He may not be the right fit, but honestly, Michigan has been looking for the right fit for 20+ years.

We All Bleed Crimson

Football's GREATEST Tradition !
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
TerryP, this is what I wonder about South Carolina. They don't have ANY football tradition. Until the few years under Spurrier, they had only ONE 10 win season in their history. This is where coaches go to ..... retire. Even Spurrier's career ended on a rough note at SC. Remember, I stated that they want him badly, I didn't say that they had anything to offer (except a larger than life challenge). :)

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
Bama Club
Reaction score
SC needs to find one that's a big golfer AND a good HC. Like Holtz and Spurrier. Short helicopter ride to Augusta National. Every. Day.

Reaction score
SC is a schedule filler for the most part and that is their history. JMO but they will hire a new coach ever 5 years.

Last edited:

Top Bottom