| FTBL Hugh Freeze

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Freeze is making an average of $2 million a year from Liberty. From what I can tell, USM was paying Jay Hopson $500,000 (lowest in Conference USA apparently). But, Falwell Jr. is out now at Liberty, and he was the one that backed up the Brinks truck to get Freeze. Will the next guy put that much importance on football? Maybe. But Falwell Jr. was a huge Freeze fan, and I don't see his replacement having that much personal investment in him.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
The one thing I see people misinformed on, or maybe it's just a point of them never having looked, is that Liberty has money; a lot of money. They've spent over 1 billion on new structures and remodeling over the last few years. Their athletic facilities are on par with some P5 schools and their budget is in line with what we see from the AAC (50-70 million per year.) While some choose to point to the religion aspect as to why they chose to go independent (versus joining a G5 conference) a lot of it had to do with their program and its facilities being that much better than others. Their indoor facility is nicer than some in the SEC and their new football complex rivals some of the best in collegiate football.

You may be right about the new administration not being as "money friendly" with Hugh or their next football coach. I don't see it being about affordability.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score

Hugh Freeze, who has steered Liberty's football team to the best start in program history this season, has agreed to a new deal that sources told ESPN would place him among the top 5 highest-paid non-Power Five head coaches in college football.

"All aspects of our program are on the rise under Hugh's leadership, and we are putting the infrastructure in place to make this one of the top Group of Five programs in the country," Liberty athletic director Ian McCaw told ESPN on Wednesday.

Liberty, as a private institution, doesn't release the financial details of coaches' contracts. But in ranking among the top 5 highest-paid coaches in the non-Power 5 ranks, that would place Freeze's average salary at $3 million-plus per year.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
He not going anywhere right now!

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
The Barn and Viles could hold off another year if they do not think anyone is going to make a run at him. I would think all parties would prefer that for multiple reasons. Now if another school decides to make a run at him that could force their hand.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
WCU who? Killin' 'em.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Freeze is so much better off at Liberty right now. Getting them ranked, even in this weird ass year, makes him almost untouchable there. SCar will expect a lot fast. He should stay where he is until one of the jobs he really wants comes asking.

Top Bottom