| FTBL How many assistant changes will Nick make this year?

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Our defense has always been centered around the interactions of our LB's with the DL. We had two freshman starting inside LB's all season long & if you look at LSU & AU losses the play calling exploited their inexperience. Just look at the last two possessions LSU had in the 2nd Quarter & you'll see.

We just didn't have any experience at our most crucial positions on defense. Our LB core for the last 3 years has really had the crap beat out of it by injuries & coaching changes. It has never been this bad before. We just need to get some more stability in this position & we'll see the kinda defense that we are used to seeing... Like nobody willing to throw in the middle of the field anymore.

BTW, don't compare how AU plays us in the Iron Bowl compared to how they play everyone else. It's not even close.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
@TerryP

What exactly am I imagining that has you turning amateur psychologist instead of knowledgeable football poster?

What don't you agree with? That the schedule being light didn't help the defensive statistics? Or that the defense under performed with the talent? Or my statement that there was top 5 talent on that side of the ball?

I'll stand by all that as not only accurate, but obvious.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Really.....a bad staff member...would be a bad staff member.....regardless how long he was in position.......go back to Shula era... would keeping Rader as OC be great...since he was on the staff for 3 years,....for the only reason being...it provides consistency?....nooooooooooooo way Jose!
Or Nick keeping Applewhite....

TideatMileHigh

Sideline Club
Reaction score
If Saban thinks there are subpar coaches on his staff, then he will shit can them. I don't think however that you can downplay the effect of our entire coaching staff getting pillaged every offseason.

Can you imagine what that is like for the players? Every year you have a new position coach or coordinator that has a completely different coaching philosophy or system from the guy before. You don't have to be Stephen Hawking to figure out that this would obviously cause problems.

Saban can only do so much. I liken him to a battalion commander whose job is to deal with managing macro level issues, while his assistant coaches are like the non commissioned officers whose job is to directly manage, mentor, and teach the troops in a manner that is in line with the vision of the battalion commander.

If your entire NCO core and Staff are rotating in and out constantly, the development of the troops will undoubtedly suffer as a result.

We All Bleed Crimson

Football's GREATEST Tradition !
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Continuity is important. But, the coaches need to be really good. An example of the coaching situation: Justyn Ross (from the Phenix City area) stated that he chose Clemson over Bama because he knew who his position coach(es) would be going forward. This was part of his answer when he was asked why he did so. At some point the constant turnover, combined with early departures, will catch up to a program. That's not to say that Alabama hasn't survived rather well, but there have been some areas where we sure could have been better. I think this past year, the injury bug was heavily to blame for our struggles, but we haven't dominated games they was we have in the recent past. I'm talking about dominating most of the plays during the game. I know we had a lot of games where we outscored opponents be a wide margin, but even in some of those games, we didn't look dominant. I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the staff in the next few weeks.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Learn your emojis. 🙃 I'm a licensed psychotherapist as well as a top notch accountant (based on what I've been told here :D )

When a team performs as it should against a weaker opponent and it's reflected in the statistical measurements it doesn't disqualify those measurements.

Based on rankings coming out of high school these guys are top five talent. However, it's my view the judgments placed on the defensive performance this season have been off base on several instances with different story lines.

This past week Rashaan Evans was being interviewed about his progression in the league as well as his time working with Saban and he went on to mention while he saw a lot of action in his first two years in Tuscaloosa he wasn't moved to the linebacking corps as his permanent spot in the rotation (every down type of guy) until his junior season. He wasn't ready. He knew it, Saban knew it, and we saw it when he emerged as the player he has become that junior season.

If you were to ask the guys playing linebacker this season they'd tell you "they weren't ready." In other words, they've said such; literally verbatim. We saw guys starting and getting significant minutes that were not ready for D1 play at this level.

Injuries, along with some guys who Bama has missed out in recruiting, are certainly part of this question. The fact this younger guys haven't gone through the "process" of earning their spots on defense is largely overlooked; often blamed on coaching when a lot of that coaching was sidelined due to injury. It's led to, and demonstrated around the 'net consistently, that a lot of the fan base has developed an approach of "if they can't perform in year one or two" they need to be culled.

I've reached the conclusion this discussion has leveled out with the same discussions had about Tua and Jalen. How many were writing him off? More importantly, how often did we see Jalen criticized for things that appeared one way in a cursory, face value approach but in a different light demonstrated a gross misunderstanding of what was going on with the position? Just like the Arkansas and Tennessee examples in this thread we had fans pointing to specific plays with Jalen that were read as badly as a blind man trying to lip read.

Just as one small example here consider ...

The defense was ravaged by injury.
People pointed to tackling with and how it seemingly didn't improve.
With a group ravaged by injury how much live action/tackling are you going to put your guys through in the same situation if you're the coach?

So, we're not seeing improvement in an area where they can't stress that aspect without risking further injury but let's, by all means, fire someone. A team plays the way they practice might be a familiar ring here.

Okay, I lied. Here's another small example. How often did we see comparisons made between Bama defenses of old when the offenses faced then, versus today, are so vastly different?

What are you seeing in these examples here? I seen a lot of rushing to judgment without context. A lot of it I find borderline silly ... almost like ones car running out of gas so they're wanting a new one instead of just filling up the tank. The lack of experience should have been as big of a warning as that little red light that says "low on gas."

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Maybe Terry P Can answer this... But I have few questions to ask about Baker.
1. If Baker was doing well at Mississippi State then why was he struggling when he came to Alabama? He had 2 commits that he lost and He barely tried so hard recruiting. What was the reason behind that?

2. The way Baker coaching the DL was subpar this past season... think it affected Golding's Defense as a whole?

3. With Roach's hiring, and I understand there are more changes coming... Any speculation to who that would be? Can't be Golding because someone just reported that Golding will be back at Alabama next year.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Not really. We're going to have the same discussion over and over... Which has been done basically all season.

An obvious flaw in the "discussion" is when @TerryP says:

It's not about disqualifying the "measurement" itself. It's about evaluating it for what it is. The measurement itself isn't as meaningful if you're comparing national "rankings" that don't take into account the actual strength of schedule. Which is what your/those rankings did.

If a team plays the #58 schedule and is the #13 scoring defense - It's common sense to understand that if they had played better offenses, there would have been a negative impact on the overall ranking you used that doesn't take that into account. I recall someone comparing this year's D statistics to last year's D statistics, without acknowledging the fact that least year's team had to play Oklahoma and Clemson offenses. Makes a difference doesn't it?

In regards to the overall talent @TerryP agreed. On paper it's to 5 talent when they step on campus. I and probably many others have made the observation it wasn't the young players who were surprisingly dissapointing... It was the top tier talent that didn't come through against LSU and Auburn. For instance - 0 sacks against Auburn wasn't due to young MLB play. We have 2 OLB's and a DT that will be high draft picks THIS YEAR... Not young pups. The play makers were non existent despite having up to 8 guys who'd started the year before (Diggs, Davis, McKinney, Surtrain, Carter, Jennings, Lewis, Mayden)

Ultimately there's no right or wrong answer as to what happened on the D. It was a combo of a lot of things...

-Injuries to studs
-Freshman (not ready freshman) playing a lot of snaps
-Studs not stepping up
-Lack of discipline (penalties)
-Coaching (could be scheme and game day)

The difference in opinion lies which ones could and should have been fixed! And which ones can be fixed moving forward.... RTR

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I did not see where Roach was officially confirmed as hired yet, but I guess this is as official as we get. He's already recruiting.

Top Bottom