| FTBL How many assistant changes will Nick make this year?

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
JMO but the special teams coach was hired by Nick for his recruiting connections within Texas and not for his coaching ability. Still a lot of Bo Davis back to Bama rumors but no facts. Having watched the defense for all 13 games I saw nothing that made you believe Pete is elite or will be. You and easily use the injury deal to give a good excuse but we just seemed to play basic defense and teams kind of took advantage of such. This bunch wasn't good enough to play plain vanilla. I believe both Pete and the DL coach will get the pink slip plus pay.

We'll see

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
"STs"..........should never cost you agame....not on players......period.....
The AU....game...got outfoxed by AU.... and not the first time......got-to-go!!!
And as @mando said....really hard to get over that 12men on field...vs AU
That was absolutely...absolutely...unacceptable
And @JoseyWalesTheOutlaw .....the D was awful....by a lot of standards...
but may get a mulligan due to injuries....and then....?

Last edited:

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Bama Club
Reaction score
Two more weeks (maybe even after NSD) and we learn who got a mulligan from Nick. I would give errrrbody on the offensive side a OK on their evaluation for 2019.

My shit list

DB
DL
ILB
DC...one guy gets two F's

I will give the ST coach a "you're on the clock" evaluation.

TideatMileHigh

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I honestly dont think we will see much change. I think 1 or 2 coaches might get shit canned, but no more.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Scoring Defense #13 <- Not bad... Could be better.
Rushing Defense #37- We had some bonehead mistakes from LBs and DL.... Covering wrong gaps at times.
Passing Defense #11 <--- Not bad at all and yet you want DB coach to be fired?
Total Defense #21 <- Could be better. This is probably skewed due to Rushing Defense... if it was in top 15, then Total Defense might be in Top 10.

Say what you want, but Sal Sunseri did good job working with what he had... and If changes are going to be made, I would like to see Davis to come back.... Golding to be moved somewhere... I really think it was issue of developing and teaching the kids to do what they supposed to do. We can't keep changing staff every year and expect a perfect result. Golding needs another chance to show what he can do with healthy defense and no distractions. Karl has done great job recruiting and hes not doing bad job but probably need to instill fresh perspective.

Some of issues we kept seeing at DB.. that was going on before Karl got here... Keep that in mind. Saban needs to minimize the changes as much as He can.. but send his coaches around country to pick up new ideas...

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Yes, There are "POTENTIAL" TOP 5 on defense... doesn't mean anything at this point. Look at Burrow. Was he Top 5 talent at the beginning of the season? two years ago? It was halfway through season before Folks were saying he was top 5. So Basically, We just don't know who has "it" but based on what we have this past season and for next season.. I see We have only 1 that's likely to go Top 10 next season and that's Sustain. We will have lot of players that aren't eligible to go NFL next year that will be on the field.

Our Schedule was easy this year and we still lost 2 games. Last year was tough and we still lost 1 game. Whether Schedule is easy or tough is irrelevant because every year it's always team or two that ends up having good season and tough to play against. We have lot of NFL talents on the team, but the issue is developing and teaching the techniques.... I question whether changing coaches will help because I suspect we may still have some issues.. maybe it is what you said: Lack of talent... maybe it is coach's approach on defense.. maybe it is combination of coaches, players and the process. Who knows.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
The schedule is absolutely relevant when citing defensive statistics. That's not me being negative, that should just be obvious.

In regards to developing and teaching talent, you're right on. The #'s you posted, to me, don't appear to defend the current coaches in terms of the talent they were working with. JMO. Davis, Diggs, Jennings, McKinney will all be taken in the first 2 rounds barring serious injury issues. Others will be in that same ballpark next season as well. The bottom line is outside of McKinney, there were no "play makers". It was all reacting instead of dictating.

You make a valid point in regards to whether or not changing coaches will change the outcome for the better. No one knows. We just know that the D didn't hold up for chit last year against the championship level competition.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@Tidestalker

Here's my take. I've never met the guy unlike some of the others here. Hell, not even a text ... right? But, gut impression (based on football forum personalities over the years.)

He has an active imagination. And that's a compliment some would phrase as "over thinking." Just my impression now, so grant me that ... and I say that because I believe he can be flat out Colin Cowherd wrong. (Have you seen his record on game picks this post season?)

a ramble on a the end of a long day ... and got to be at the real job in a few hours

@Justneedme81 doesn't he strike you as a guy who looks at things in an uniqued, often one that's negative, way? I still can't quite figure what the ol'' man wants.

bradenob

Extra Point Club
Reaction score
I get exactly what you're saying, but....... 2 points.

1. Who has more talent, 'Bama or Minnesota. We couldn't stop the barn, and yet they put up squat against MINNESOTA??? And we let them move the ball all over us with the PLAYOFF on the line!

2. Do you think the barn scores on us like that, with our personnel, if Pruitt is the DC? I just don't think so.

Therefore, I have to side with TS. The viles and arky both moved the ball up and down the field on us. The only reason they didn't score more was their own mistakes, not our defense.

I attribute it to linebacker play (nobody's fault), lack of position coaching (look at how Diggs especially was tackling this year, but also Mayden - jumping on top of opponents or putting their shoulder into them???!!!!), lack of leadership (where are the Jon Allens, or the Minkahs, or the Rolandos?), and lack of variation on defense (Golding didn't have any creative plans on D for rushing, despite his supposed creativity).

Saban pointed out the lack of toughness, and we saw that in more than the first half of LSU, and at Auburn (the games he pointed out).

NOW, do I think changes need to be made? Maybe. Getting Scott to coach 'em up better is a great idea, but what about Charles Kelley? Isn't he coaching the secondary guys as well? I am not for turnover, but I am for having a badass defense again. I am not disappointed that we didn't stop LSU - amazing offense this year. But the rest of the year was depressing, no matter what the stats say.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Wait a minute now. What you're saying here doesn't fit the actual games.

Arkansas put up a little over 210 yards against Bama last fall in a season where they were averaging a little under 350 yards per game. Arkansas had one legitimate drive the entire game (midway through the third quarter) and their next drive (7 plays) ended in an interception that was returned for a touchdown. In fact, two of their drives that went more than one series of downs resulted in INT's. But that's not Bama's defense? Six or seven of their possessions were one series of downs and that's not defense? Your characterization of that game simply isn't the case.

Citing Tennessee in the same example is a misfit as well. Again, you're referring to a team that was held over 100 yards less than their season's average. If you'd like to point to their last fumble as a mistake on their part—the play ran by Guarantano is questionable to say the least—I'll grant that. However, it doesn't make the narrative any more true. UT didn't move the ball up and down the field and you have to credit the defense for half a dozen or so one series possessions by the Vols. There were three scoring drives in that game for UT were out 11 possessions, 10 if you discount the last possession of the game. Those other seven drives that stalled? That's all UT mistakes?

There are some legitimate criticisms of the defense from last season. That's never been a question. It wasn't a great defense when compared to other Bama defenses of old.

But let's not start narratives about games last season where they are being described inaccurately. You've literally picked two games where both teams had their worst performances of the season and that's all on their mistakes? Only one team allowed UT fewer points this season, Florida. No team allowed Arkansas fewer points than Bama.

< I'm hoping this isn't a case where you're agreeing with @Tidestalker and his imagination. 🙃 >

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Had enough talent to have D performance.....even with injuries.....

Top Bottom