| MBB/WBB How Alabama became an SEC powerhouse overnight - Nate Oats isn't just numbers-savvy. He approaches college basketball with an NBA mindset — with help

1CrimsonTider

Touchdown Club
This is a long writeup with CBS. I've read a little here and there about Oats and his analytics. This article provides a lot of insight into how they are using the stats and numbers.

I loved this bit.

Oats has come to love the next-level data so much, he normally waits to get the initial postgame HDI box score (sent to his email within 10 minutes of the game going final) before he talks to the media after. This tactic caught Furman coach Bob Richey's attention early in the season. Alabama beat Furman on Dec. 15. After the game, Richey heard Oats referencing a few weird stats and didn't know what Oats was talking about and how he had that data from a game that finished minutes earlier.

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
Maybe I should invest in that HDI company. I think they are about to blow up LOL. It seems like Oats is invested in his process just as much as Saban is invested in his. It's great to have two coaches like that on Bama's staff. I hope Bama does whatever it takes to keep Oats around. He's the kind of guy who can build a basketball dynasty.

jlabit

Extra Point Club
We are a blueblood in football. If he stays, we can become a blueblood in basketball. That would be quite an accomplishment for him. We can afford to match the salary that anyone puts out there, that is trying to poach him.

TerryP

Ivory Club
We are a blueblood in football. If he stays, we can become a blueblood in basketball.
20 years, give or take a few?

Bama is 500 wins behind Duke, all time. That is behind your Kansas teams, your UNC's, and your Kentucky's. Hell, they are still 200 shy of UCLA who is a blue blood though quite anemic the last several years.

It'll take a few titles and a lot more wins before I call Alabama basketball a blue blood: a moniker I don't expect in my lifetime.

Consider: All time Bama ranks 35th in wins for basketball. Arkansas is 32nd in total wins in football. How far are the 'backs away from being considered a blue blood?

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
Should we define blue bloods in basketball differently than football? We're looking at 340 D1 teams versus 120 or so.

I don't think basketball blueblood is as tough as being a football blueblood. Winning National Championships in basketball is tougher in my mind than in football. In football you play your schedule and then go to a bowl game to play one, now two teams to win it. In basketball you play your schedule, a conference tournament, and then an NCAA tournament. You don't know who you will draw, where you will play, anything. It's easier to plan for football as you have an idea of who you'd play. George Mason, Florida Gulf Coast? I believe if you can hit four or five National Championships you are immediately in the elite of college basketball. Football, I think more than eight.

TerryP

Ivory Club
I believe if you can hit four or five National Championships you are immediately in the elite of college basketball. Football, I think more than eight.
That would mean six true blue bloods in basketball? There are only six with four or more. It's a hard question to answer. Is it all based on titles? Conference wins/rings play a large part?

• UCLA — 11
  • Kentucky — 8
  • North Carolina — 6
  • Duke — 5
  • Indiana — 5
  • UConn — 4
  • Kansas — 3
  • Villanova — 3
  • Cincinnati — 2
  • Florida — 2
  • Louisville — 2
  • Michigan State — 2
  • NC State — 2
  • Oklahoma State — 2
  • San Francisco — 2

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
That would mean six true blue bloods in basketball? There are only six with four or more.

• UCLA — 11
  • Kentucky — 8
  • North Carolina — 6
  • Duke — 5
  • Indiana — 5
  • UConn — 4
  • Kansas — 3
  • Villanova — 3
  • Cincinnati — 2
  • Florida — 2
  • Louisville — 2
  • Michigan State — 2
  • NC State — 2
  • Oklahoma State — 2
  • San Francisco — 2

It was just an estimate for the sake of saying it doesn't take near as many Natty's in basketball to be considered royalty as it does football. Look at Kansas, three.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Crimson Tide Club
I'd give it to Kansas before Florida (2) and would put Sparty (also 2) in the blue blood realm with the same number as a Gators. An "off the cuff" answer would find a lot saying Michigan. They've won one NCAA title and two NIT's.

Yeah, it's difficult considering Florida over Michigan State or even Michigan as Florida, from my memory, dominated for a few years under Billy Donovan. I don't recall much else from them. A lot on here, that know better than me speak of Alabama's rich basketball history, and I don't know if that's just from an internal fan prospective or if we are respected around the country. But it sounds like even we have a longer basketball presence of success than Florida.

Not taking anything away from those Florida teams, because they were damn good ball teams.

mando

Sideline Club
As with any sport there are only a few true blue bloods (4 or 5). To me a blue blood is about cumulative wins, winning percentage and NC's collected over decades and across multiple eras.

Bama basketball has been solid, the last several years aside, but they are no where close to a blue blood in basketball. If they sustained success for the next 20 years they would still not be there. No different than FSU and Miami in football. Had great success for one window of time but that has been it.

Top Bottom