| FTBL Hearing we can expect NCAA opt outs to begin any day now.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
I was expecting these to happen even before COVID came into play... Now it would appear more socially justified & acceptable

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
$$$$

People who are guaranteed big $ are likely to reduce their risk whenever possible. Guys like P. Surtain and Jalen Waddle are great examples... Could not play a down this year and be 1st round picks. COVID is just emphasizing a general risk factor for highly valued college kids who by rule aren't allowed to cash in on their talent until being out of high school for 3 years.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
On the other hand, these guys are looking at being away from the game/practice for a year and a half if they choose to sit out, right? Take VT's Farley as example. His last game was the 29th of November, 2019. In my view, that's a pretty big risk for a guy. A 22 tackle season with four INT's...not exactly a great resume.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Everyone, everyday, makes their own personal risk/reward or benefit/cost analysis. My example of the 2 Alabama players feels like a safer bet than the VT kid... But everyone has to manage their own ability to make money individually. Big picture - I don't begrudge or 2nd guess the VT kid for sitting out if he thinks that's the pathway to a comfortable payday. Felt the same way before as I do after COVID - But I think the general public will be more likely to "understand" the decision to sit out now...

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but this is also the trouble the college basketball got itself in and countless players threw away their careers because of bad decisions.

I guess I'm the only one not truly sold on Surtain being a top corner. I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I fully support him, so pumped he came to Alabama, one of the guys I have been pulling for since he committed, he has the killer length and size, but I just feel he's not as shut down as they have him slated in their mock drafts. One more year of improvement and I think he would fit my mold of a worthy Top 10 pick, but of course my opinion doesn't mean anything. Of course I also feel as if Trevor Lawrence isn't as good as everyone else drooling over him. Without Higgins and Ross' circus catches the last couple of years you're looking at a middle of the road guy to me. Killer size, great arm, nice wheels, but when pressured he is all over the place with his accuracy.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
The problem is that if guys like Surtain and Waddle don't play, other players get the exposure and could easily move up in draft order. If a player sits out, they are taking a big risk that their tape holds up. They can continue to work out and stay in shape, but it's not playing shape. If they don't play, are they attending class? If they aren't attending class do they get meals, board and the monthly stipend?

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Great points... And an evaluation each player would have to make for themselves.

In regards to attending class... Before this year I would think the kid's scholarship would not be honored. But if opting out due to COVID, I'm thinking it would be a bad look for the school/league to not honor those scholarships.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I can understand guys that think they are going to be a sure round 1 pick sitting out because of injury and money they could receive. I can also see guys playing to improve their draft status. Tough decision for some of these young men to make.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
They ARE!

From what I heard on the radio - Dudes opting out still get a $150K salary. Those opting out that are deemed "high risk" get $350K and a year of service credit.

This may or may not be true, but apparently there are undrafted free agents trying to "opt out" to get that 150K. Now that's making the most of an opportunity! LOL

Obviously for some players, 150K is a huge loss. A guy like Donta' Hightower obviously isn't doing it for the $. But for other fringe players, that ain't a bad haul.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
I just don't see sitting out a year as a good thing, seems more risk vs the reward.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
It started with the bowls game.

Top Bottom