| NEWS GymTiders 2021 Season: Alabama Downs No. 6 Arkansas, 197.325-197.000

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Ivory Club
Reaction score

The Crimson Tide notched its second win in a row over the LSU Tigers during the Crimson Tide’s 17th-annual Power of Pink meet

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – A week after posting its season-best score on the road at Georgia, the No. 6-ranked Alabama gymnastics team blew past that mark, and No. 2 LSU, for a 197.725– 197.325 in Coleman Coliseum Friday night during the Crimson Tide's annual Power of Pink meet. Alabama goes to 5-1-0 on the season, while the Tigers fall to 4-2-0.

Luisa Blanco led the way with an incredible all-around performance, scoring a 39.825, the third highest all-around score in program history. She posted career-best scores on all four events for the second week in a row, going 9.925 on vault, 9.950 on the uneven bars and 9.975 on both the balance beam and floor exercise. Lexi Graber also posted a career-best 9.975 on the floor exercise.

Kaylee Quinn won the vault with a career-best 9.950, leading Alabama to a 49.450 team score. Blanco won the uneven bars, pushing the Tide to a 49.325. She also won the balance beam, pacing the Tide to a 49.400. Blanco and Graber closed out the meet and the Tigers on the floor exercise, tying for the top spot and leading Alabama to a 49.550 team score.

Head Coach Dana Duckworth Said
"Great meet, incredible team effort, incredible energy - it's wonderful to do it for a cause bigger than ourselves and to have that kind of success. We talked today about just having confidence, having faith, and if each individual person brought their very, very best, then teamwise, collectively, we would just let the results take care of themselves and that's really what happened."

Inside the Score Sheet
  • The Tide's team total was its highest since going 197.825 against Florida on Feb. 3, 2017 during that season's Power of Pink meet
  • Luisa Blanco's 39.825 in the all-around was the highest by a UA gymnast since Jeana Rice went 39.850 at the 2004 Southeastern Conference Championships
  • The Tide's 49.450 on vault was its highest since going 49.500 on March 10, 2017 against Iowa State
Up Next
  • Alabama returns to the road, traveling to Fayetteville, Ark., to take on Arkansas on Friday, Feb. 26 in Barnhill Arena
  • The meet will be streamed live on SECNetwork+ and will get underway at 7 p.m. CT
  • The meet will also be broadcast on a taped delay basis on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. CT

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Huge win. LSU has been a great program, so beating them is terrific. Roll Tide.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
The Inside the Score Sheet paragraph paints a little of the picture. There have been two matches this season where the Tide has won the match by a margin of .025. The won this one by .400. It's not a great analogy, but look at it through the lens of a batting average. There are small differences total scores but when your adding them up and find this margin?

It's a blowout.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Consider a person could win the individuals in a meet by a 1000th of a point; a team can do the same.

In the first two meets this season we saw .850 vs .825, .775 vs .750.

You'll notice I said "score differential" and not "blowout," and I mentioned where it was in the school's history. If you didn't know, gymnastics is ranked by score totals. It's not Bama beat LSU as the main story although that's how it's published. LSU will still be ranked higher. Average score determines ranking and Alabama went into this meet averaging 196.665; LSU met their average in this meet.

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Ivory Club
Reaction score

The Crimson Tide moves to 6-1 on the season heading into its regular-season finale at home against Florida

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 7-ranked Alabama gymnastics team down No. 6 Arkansas on the road at Barnhill Arena in Fayetteville, Ark., Friday night, 197.325-197.000. The Crimson Tide used its highest road score of the season to move to 6-1 overall, while the Razorbacks drop to 2-5.
Luisa Blanco kept her extraordinary run of meets going, winning the all-around with a score of 39.550, while also taking top honors on the vault with a 9.900.

Alabama closed out the meet with a 49.550 on the balance beam, led by a career-best tying 9.950 from Lexi Graber. The Tide scored matching 49.325s on the uneven bars and floor exercise. Mati Waligora and Makarri Doggette led the Tide on the uneven bars, with both going 9.900, while Graber posted the Tide's top mark on the floor exercise with a 9.900. Alabama posted a 49.125 on the vault led by Blanco's 9.900.

Alabama Head Coach Dana Duckworth Said

"I am extremely happy with how our beam rotation closed out the meet. I can't say enough about the way they handled the pressure of having Arkansas on our heels. They stayed focused on what they do every day. That was our best beam performance, I believe, since 2017. Having Sania start us off on floor was a spark moment that really got us fired up. It was great to get Shania back in the floor lineup and I'm so proud of Emily for doing her double layout and of Lexi for doing another great floor routine. I told them right at the end that what we did tonight was the best preparation for the postseason. We will fix the mistakes that we had and continue to add depth. There is room for improvement, but it was a good score on the road. I'm so appreciative that we got to compete and for the good environment tonight. I'd also like to congratulate Arkansas on a great meet and thank them for letting us be a part of their women empowerment initiative. It is always great to do something for a cause."

Inside the Score Sheet
  • The Crimson Tide's 197.325 was its best road score of the season by more than a quarter of a point, and its second highest score of the season overall
  • Luisa Blanco's 39.550 in the all-around gives her three-straight scores above 39.500
  • The Crimson Tide's 49.550 on the balance beam to close the meet was its highest on the apparatus since Jan. 20, 2017 at Missouri
  • Mati Waligora posted career-best scores on the balance beam (9.925) and uneven bars (9.900)
Up Next
  • Alabama returns home to close out the regular season against Florida on Friday, March 6 in Coleman Coliseum
  • The meet will be broadcast on SEC Network and will get underway at 7:30 p.m. CT

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
By my count if they can score more that UF next weekend they'll clinch a share of the SEC title. It's going to be a tough meet. UF just posted a 198+ last night.

Top Bottom