| CURRENT EVENTS Great Music

Kirk Van de Graaff

Gravity Checker
Scholarship Club

Rolltide24

Century Club
Great article! I’ve passed by this house hundreds of times but never seen it looking this good. He’s transformed the place, it looks incredible. I wish his effort would spread to the rest of Sheffield. Dilapidated town needs a ton of TLC. It’s been depressing to drive through it the last 30 years.

Rolltide24

Century Club
An interesting observation Eleven, WSJ has profiled 3 houses in the Shoals this year. One in Florence recently, one in Tuscumbia early in the year, and now this. Who’d have thunk it, WSJ in the Shoals. Maybe they have a writer with local ties. I’ve got to close friends/family that write independently for some major publications and live there, but neither have done these articles.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
An interesting observation Eleven, WSJ has profiled 3 houses in the Shoals this year. One in Florence recently, one in Tuscumbia early in the year, and now this. Who’d have thunk it, WSJ in the Shoals. Maybe they have a writer with local ties. I’ve got to close friends/family that write independently for some major publications and live there, but neither have done these articles.
Yeah, I was going to mention it, same writer on the other two house articles, including the downtown one that enclosed an open lot and the couple moving back buying the home from Elvis' bass player, and this article was by a different reporter. They did a pretty neat weekend getaway article on Birmingham a couple of years ago, too.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reviving this thread. Saw Band of Heathens last night at Terminal West in Midtown Atlanta, great little venue. The Texas Gentlemen opened and they were entertaining. BOH did a nice cover of Gillian Welch's "Look at Miss Ohio". The TX Gents joined them back for the finale, a great rendition of the Dead's "Deal".

When BOH announced dates, I also bought tix for the Saturday Bham show at Saturn, gave them to my youngest as he's over there now. He said that show was really good, too. I haven't been to that venue, yet.

Whiskey Myers will be at The Roxy by the Braves stadium May 6th, looking forward to seeing them again.

Blackberry Smoke is playing at the Sand Mountain Amphitheater on June 24th. If you're close and you haven't seen them, they put on a great show. May have to take that one in.

So happy live music is back. Son #2 is back touring full time, he's in Denver this week at the Grizzly Rose, will open for Stoney LaRue on Friday, after a week in St. Louis.

RTR,

Tim

XXL TideFan

Seer
Bama Club
My son graduated from Florence HS. It is sad that Sheffield and Tuscumbia are looking like parts of Birmingham. The kids in Florence and Muscle Shoals referred to them as Shefghanistan and Tuscompton. The downtown improvements in Sheffield prior to us relocating were very nice but the drugs and crime were still there at the time.

Rolltide24

Century Club
Tuscumbia isn’t that bad! Maybe some outlier parts. Robbins poured a lot of money into downtown and the park, helped it out a lot. Now Sheffield… that’s a different story. Since I was a little tot it was an eye sore and blight. It brought down the quad cities. I always felt sorry for folks that lived there and the kids that had to go to the high school. I’m surprised they even still have a high school. Looks like about 60 kids per grade.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Palm Sunday popular song Were you there. Started looking for the words found this

The perfect Palm Sunday bookend to Easter's Low in the Grave He Lay! It's hard for me to sing either with dry eyes.

I have a quick faucet, but there are hymns and secular songs that turn on the tears for me. Hard for me not to choke up during Victory in Jesus. Some hymns are real tear jerkers for me because I recall the sweet lady who sang alto on "He Washed My Eyes With Tears" during my youth who's no longer with us, or the old gentlemen whose bass regaled us with "Sing Me a Song About Jesus" who has passed. Music is about memories, common experiences, pains, joys and comraderie. Elegant hymns that include liberal amounts of Scripture, however, take it a notch higher.

Among more recent country ballads, when Riley Green says "I want every headstone next to me to read my last name", it chokes me up from the permanency of the statement. Tending to my Dad's grave over the last few years, and watching my Mom take care of my grandparents' plot, point to the little bit of space (both time and distance) we have. I know my bones will lie near a few generations of my kin (@JoseyWalesTheOutlaw plan for it to be worms, not buzzards). Years ago, my Dad and I would fish on Lay Lake and we'd tie up on the Talladega/Coosa side (east side, sorry on my county ignorance) and walk up to a War of 1812 cemetery where Jackson buried his dead after Horseshoe Bend. It was numbing to know they'd been there for 160+ years. In the years since, they moved the graves to build a subdivision - I was not pulling for their cash flow.

Sorry, off on a tangent. Where Rainbows Never Die is another.

RTR,

Tim

Top Bottom