| FTBL FSU coaching search now targeting Deion Sanders?

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
As someone pointed out today, he couldn't even run a damn Charter School. The guy is a f'ing fraud.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Deion's entire coaching resume consists of founding and coaching a private school for his sons that eventually got shut down for all kind of ethical and legal violations and (kind of) coaching the UnderArmor All-America Game a few times.... This is a joke and IMO 100% a publicity stunt to get more attention on the job.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Just because it's on social media doesn't mean it's true. There's a reason it's not called news media (although the distinction between the two are getting harder and harder to decipher).

alabamajack

Sideline Club
Reaction score
How in the hell can you mention prime time deion Sanders and Saban in the same sentence when it comes to head coaches

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Just because it's on social media doesn't mean it's true. There's a reason it's not called news media (although the distinction between the two are getting harder and harder to decipher).
It's the news media that's reporting, not a joe blow running a parody account on Twitter. Ian, with the NFL network. Klatt, with Fox Sports. It's a front page article on CBS.

They very well may be chasing a publicity stunt like @BamaBoyJosh suggests. I don't see this as a story we can just chalk up to "it's a Facebook story" or something akin to that description.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Surely they are not that desperate or stupid.
Both Penny Hardaway and Jerry Stackhouse had very short professional coaching stints. Jerry at least coached in the NBA for a few years. Realizing I'm pulling in basketball guys into a football discussion, but it's similar enough to make ya wonder.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Both Penny Hardaway and Jerry Stackhouse had very short professional coaching stints. Jerry at least coached in the NBA for a few years. Realizing I'm pulling in basketball guys into a football discussion, but it's similar enough to make ya wonder.
Penny never coached in the NBA did he? He currently coaches at Memphis (college) and has some moderate success but even that isn't a fair comparison - if we ignore the football/basketball dynamic - because Penny at least got experience first as a middle school coach and then a HS assistant and then a successful high school head coach before Memphis decided to bring him in.

Stackhouse too, he was an assistant coach (granted at the NBA level with no other experience) and then a D-league coach before Vanderbilt hired him to be a head coach.

If we were talking about FSU bringing Deion in as a recruiter and DB coach or even a special teams assistant I dont think anyone would bat an eye and would say "damn good hire" but head coach is just nuts.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Maaaaaan.... A lot of people really underestimate how hard being a Head Coach is at ANY level, let alone at this level.

If you're doing it right, there is so much to plan, manage, oversee, and so many people you have to keep motivated & focused.

And when that's all said and done, you'll need some good luck.

I can't even imagine all the ins & outs that go to leading an FBS football program. Not saying Dion couldn't win, but he'd have to hire a whole lot of good & loyal people.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Penny never coached in the NBA did he? He currently coaches at Memphis (college) and has some moderate success but even that isn't a fair comparison - if we ignore the football/basketball dynamic - because Penny at least got experience first as a middle school coach and then a HS assistant and then a successful high school head coach before Memphis decided to bring him in.

Stackhouse too, he was an assistant coach (granted at the NBA level with no other experience) and then a D-league coach before Vanderbilt hired him to be a head coach.

If we were talking about FSU bringing Deion in as a recruiter and DB coach or even a special teams assistant I dont think anyone would bat an eye and would say "damn good hire" but head coach is just nuts.
Deion has been involved in coaching his sons in various sporting teams throughout their youth. I don't really see this any different than Penny coaching in middle school and high school. I'm not minimizing the efforts of a high school coach here, please don't take it as that. Just saying, going from high school to college is VASTLY different, especially with 85 scholarships.

When I said professional coaching, I mean that as a profession, not as NBA :).

I'd question the hell outta Deion as a DB coach, is he ready to be on the road recruiting and doing what an assistant does all hours of the day? Imagine he spends a significant amount of time prepping for his NFL gig, but that isn't year round like college football is. On top of that, we're talking about stepping into a P5 program that's effectively a dumpster fire.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Deion has been involved in coaching his sons in various sporting teams throughout their youth. I don't really see this any different than Penny coaching in middle school and high school. I'm not minimizing the efforts of a high school coach here, please don't take it as that. Just saying, going from high school to college is VASTLY different, especially with 85 scholarships.

When I said professional coaching, I mean that as a profession, not as NBA :).

I'd question the hell outta Deion as a DB coach, is he ready to be on the road recruiting and doing what an assistant does all hours of the day? Imagine he spends a significant amount of time prepping for his NFL gig, but that isn't year round like college football is. On top of that, we're talking about stepping into a P5 program that's effectively a dumpster fire.
I mean I get where you're coming from but at least as a position coach - to start out - you could say that's his speciality and probably be much, much, much easier for him to start out with (maybe not at 40 or whatever he is, though) rather than head coach.

jdpas29

Verified Member
Bama Club
Reaction score
Lane Kiffin would be a good fit down there. Easy move over already recruiting in Florida.

rocknthefreeworld

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Lane Kiffin would be a good fit down there. Easy move over already recruiting in Florida.
I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon. He has it freaking made down there. Expectations he can meet each year. Beaches with lots of single women. And just enough pay to live his life nicely. At some point he will want to move on and prove something, but I imagine he is way too smart and has learned enough to know that rebuilding project is going to take a few more coaches.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
It's the news media that's reporting, not a joe blow running a parody account on Twitter. Ian, with the NFL network. Klatt, with Fox Sports. It's a front page article on CBS.

They very well may be chasing a publicity stunt like @BamaBoyJosh suggests. I don't see this as a story we can just chalk up to "it's a Facebook story" or something akin to that description.
News media reporting what is on social media as if it's a source. No verification from the school, Deion or his dog.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
News media reporting what is on social media as if it's a source. No verification from the school, Deion or his dog.
The CBS article quotes Ian Rappaport and Mike Garafolo. Those are the two who reported it for the NFL Network. This isn't a story that originated on a social media site, OP. It was first reported on Good Morning Football on the NFL Network.

Top Bottom