| FTBL FSU coaching search now targeting Deion Sanders?

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
This is not a top 5 program overall but I would say top 12-15, especially since the mid 80's forward. I am sure we are going to hear names such as Urban Meyer and Big Game Bob mentioned but these two are not coming to Tallahassee. Taggert did a good job with the rebuild at Western Ky. and South Florida. He did an ok job in his one year at Oregeon. He has been a huge disappointment to the FSU fan base since his arrival.

Just thinking about some names that I would have on my short list if I was the man in charge:
Jeff Scott co OC @ Clemson, if I am not mistaken, dad Brad, had a long stint at FSU.
Jeff Brohm HC @ Purdue
Mark Stoops HC @ UK what this guy has done in this state is remarkable.
Matt Campbell HC @ Iowa St. see above about Stoops.
Looking outside Power 5, I would consider hard, Mike Norvell, at Memphis and at least talk to Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic.

I am sure there are others that will come to mind over the next day or so. The problem at FSU is they expect to win 10 games a year and the talent is just not on campus for that to happen, especially at QB and OL.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
This is not a top 5 program overall but I would say top 12-15, especially since the mid 80's forward. I am sure we are going to hear names such as Urban Meyer and Big Game Bob mentioned but these two are not coming to Tallahassee. Taggert did a good job with the rebuild at Western Ky. and South Florida. He did an ok job in his one year at Oregeon. He has been a huge disappointment to the FSU fan base since his arrival.

Just thinking about some names that I would have on my short list if I was the man in charge:
Jeff Scott co OC @ Clemson, if I am not mistaken, dad Brad, had a long stint at FSU.
Jeff Brohm HC @ Purdue
Mark Stoops HC @ UK what this guy has done in this state is remarkable.
Matt Campbell HC @ Iowa St. see above about Stoops.
Looking outside Power 5, I would consider hard, Mike Norvell, at Memphis and at least talk to Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic.

I am sure there are others that will come to mind over the next day or so. The problem at FSU is they expect to win 10 games a year and the talent is just not on campus for that to happen, especially at QB and OL.
No active coach will interview until the end of the year. So we'll hear a lot of names for the next month.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Which is why I said Oline... not Olineman. One guy doesn't make a unit. ;)
Just think it's fair to point out that he didn't leave until Taggert had the gig for a year! Seems to be doing pretty well in Crimson.

But you right... You Right. RTR

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Should have credited u on that.
No problem, not necessary. I would just love to this because of what it would do to the Viles and their fan base. I do not want to see a bama guy help fix that mess...

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Landon Dickerson?
Jacob Coker.

Neither had an impact while at FSU, both extremely good players with Alabama.

The change in Dickerson from FSU to Bama is crazy. That alone goes back to the comparisons with Shula in '06 and the state of the program. Very little discipline and improvement found from their S&C program.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
To draw another comparison on Taggart.

You guys remember how fRan left Bama and what happened with A&M. Suffice to say, when he arrived in College Station his baggage—which I"m going to link with respect here as well—came right along with him. No one on that team trusted what he was doing.

Was Taggart in the same boat? I'd say yes. Let's not forget he was recruiting for FSU using Oregon's resources (according to those in and around the Ducks program.)

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Does Alison or JP get the credit on this? Funny, Aaron Torres interviewed Stoops recently and tweeted Stoops as a potential.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
If true Stoops would be a good hire for them.

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I know Jimbo plays a huge role in the state of the FSU program, but I think that the admin is at fault to a greater degree. When Jimbo was given the reins, he pretty much had an open check book and was able to implement some better nutrition and strength training. I think they went from one S&C coach to 3.(Read that in a Big Cheif's booster email that made its rounds on the internet) He mixed it up a lot and changed some stuff that Bowden had grown stagnant to. In the latter years Jimbo wanted to build and do things to keep up with the rest of the "Blue-Blood" programs around the country. He was met with a lot of resistance from the people that handle the purse strings. Rather than fighting through it, I feel Jimbo cut bait, mailed it in, and got the hell outta Dodge.

This entire scenario reminds me of Bama in the 80's after Bear died. The question is, will FSU admin hire a coach and give him every viable source and fund to make FSU a destination school, or will they continue to circle the drain? Thing is, Florida has a good coach and is building. There is enough talent in the state to support 3 blue blood programs (FSU, UF, Miami) and still supply other schools outside the state. I think Mullen is a good coach and the talent that he will not have to fight the other 2 schools for, in state, will make him super competitive and look like a great coach.

@TerryP , as much disdain that we all have for Fran. One thing he did do, was get the initiative started to build and revamp our facilities and make our recruiting a lot easier. Saban took that and amplified it exponentially, but I firmly believe that our new facilities from the Fran/Shula era, made it an easier decision for Saban when Mal came calling. (One less thing to worry about)

I don't think Big Game Bob (Stoops) is coming out of retirement. If this were UF, where he won a natty as the DC, I could see that......but I don't see him coming out.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I may be wrong, have been once or twice in my life, but I do not see Bob Stoops coming out of retirement to get back in the college game. His kid plays at Oklahoma, he would have to compete with the SEC schools in that region in recruiting and then add Clemson and Miami into that mix. I cannot see him wanting to commit the time needed for 5-10 years. Just my humble opinion.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@TerryP , as much disdain that we all have for Fran. One thing he did do, was get the initiative started to build and revamp our facilities and make our recruiting a lot easier. Saban took that and amplified it exponentially, but I firmly believe that our new facilities from the Fran/Shula era, made it an easier decision for Saban when Mal came calling. (One less thing to worry about)
It's my opinion you're giving Franchione credit that belongs to Coach Moore. The only thing Franchione asked for when he was there was new carpet and ol' Finus put the nix on that quickly. The Crimson Tradition Fund Campaign for Athletics did start in 2002, yes. This is at the same time where Franchione was balking over his contract and refused to sign.

The only support/donation I recall with him was from his charity, after he'd already left, and those funds went to UA at the end of the tax season.

It's been 15 years and I'll easily admit I could misremember this. I was there and working around the athletic department quite a bit at the time so I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm remembering. I know he, like every other coach at the time, supported the idea. I can not say he started it because that was Coach Moore.

One thing I can say without a doubt. He didn't have the gravitas in the eyes of the "money guys" to pull it off. A few supported him, but it was a limited group in numbers.

Again, the best of my recollection here...burnt many a brain cell then and since then.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I may be wrong,
I may be wrong but I don't remember a time when a local TV/radio sports reporter broke news of this magnitude. Personally, I don't believe Bob is a legit name here but I have nothing to base that upon other than what I think.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
By the way, if the Stoops story was true why did we see their President say they were going the route of a search committee yesterday? Maybe it was their athletic director; one of them said so in a press conference.

I'm seeing 2+2=7 here.

Century Club
Reaction score
FSU is going to pay $18M not to coach. This world is not fair for sure.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I just can't see Bob Stoops taking that job. How can a group that has been so dysfunctional for the last 7-8 years over spending money on facilities, all of a sudden get their shit together for 1 coach?

Top Bottom