TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
...been expecting this for a bit now.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Ok so who is this kid? I assume since you posted it you think he may be Bama bound?

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

Alabama strikes again, this time landing four-star cornerback Devonta Smith from Cincinnati (Ohio) La Salle. Smith recently de-committed from Ohio State before announcing his news on Monday evening via his Instagram account.

“Alabama has always been my dream school and somewhere I’ve always wanted to go and compete with the best and get coached by the best,” Smith said. “And also get my degree from, spend my four years there.”

Smith has never taken an actual visit to Tuscaloosa. He has been to a game, so he’s familiar with the atmosphere. Plus, he’s done a virtual visit with the staff this offseason. Once Nick Saban came calling, though, there wasn’t much recruiting UA had to do.

“I can’t even lie to you. Bama has always been my dream school,” he said. “I’ve always looked up to Coach Saban. He’s my idol. He’s the best ever to do it in my eyes and I’m pretty sure everyone else’s eyes, too. There really wasn’t much of a pitch. His resumé puts it out there for you. There’s nothing he promised me or nothing he can promise me. I’m going to go in there and put my head down and go to work like I always do. I’ve never been handed nothing in my life and I don’t plan to get anything handed to me now. I’m going in to work for everything I need and want.”

Smith actually has a unique tie to the Crimson Tide in that he’s is first cousins with former star Tide running back Shaun Alexander. Saban actually turned to Alexander in the recruiting process.

“What was crazy was my cousin Shaun, he didn’t even know I had an offer from Alabama,” Smith said. “The first time I ever spoke to Coach Saban he actually called Shaun and told him he needed me to be on his team and needed me to be a part of Roll Tide. (He said) The leadership skills and my talent and everything that I bring would bring up the team’s potential.”

Tide fans need not worry about Smith changing his mind again.

“I’m fully committed,” Smith said.

At 6-foot, 185 pounds Smith is rated the No. 30 cornerback and the No. 400 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. 247Sports rates Smith a four-star recruit and the No. 23 cornerback in the country.

With the commitment, Alabama jumps to within the top 20 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Stay tuned to BamaOnLine for more details on this breaking story.

33COMMENTS
Check out the the breaking Built By BamaOnLine podcast as Tim Watts and Travis Reier break down the big news on Monday night:

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
We normally see three more updates on rankings, sometimes four, between now (summer) 'til the last signing day. Normally, we see sites like Rivals update pre fall/pre-senior season, an update following the high school seasons, an update after All-Star games, etc. We see bumps in rankings after summer camps at schools.

'Rona has effected these things...the normal time line on evalus are off.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@mando ...being it's six in the AM here...only found one person up. Rivals guy said he expects Smith to be bumped to at least a top 100 player...he went on to say it's long overdue.

TIFWIW.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen. I am usually up by 5:45 or so even on the weekends just not on my computer this early. BTW not meaning to hijack this thread but what iphone app do you guys use for this site or do you just use safari browser?

As far as the thread topic goes, I suspect if you can get offers from OSU and Bama people have to see something in you and I would suspect the kid to get a bump. I also saw where he is cousins with Shaun Alexander. Has good DNA to say the least.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I'm building on that idea this summer...it's a progressive web app which will behave like an app without having to produce native code for each platform. You'll have to set it up in your browser...but it's far, FAR, more user friendly than a native app.

Rough translation...

imageedit_2_2156027268.jpg

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
His tape is amazing. Former players have commented that this kid is the tape coaches show to players on perfect technique. The kid is also incredibly fast, has perfect size, and loves to hit. He is projected to be the prototype slot CB/Nickel back/Star player. That is an incredibly important position in today's game.

Top Bottom