| BSB/SB ? for Terry or anyone with softball insight...

EasyTider

Attention Whore
Bama Club
Reaction score
what’s your take on Bama softball’s lack of offense? I played college baseball and understand that great pitching usually negates good hitting, but Bama softball and offense has rarely been used in the same sentence for quite sometime. Do Major college women’s softball teams employ hitting coaches? If so, do we have one?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@EasyTider, you'll have to look around at each team to see how they are dividing their coaching staff's responsibilities. While Alabama uses their volunteer assistant (Dordel) more on the pitching side you do see teams that use the position for hitting (see UCLA as one example.) Alyson, Brynne, and Stephanie all fit that "pitching role" in my view.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
And still playing in cold weather. You played CB so you know hitting picks up when weather warms up.....
We hope anyway

bamanc50

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I understand that Alyson Habetz is the main batting coach. This has become the weak link of this team. As I've said before, this team is going to struggle against top 15 - 20 teams. They had 2 hits against both Florida St. and UCLA earlier in the season. They lost both games. Last night, they had 5 hits. I think only 1 made it out of the infield. (KB Sides) I sure hope this is just a batting slump or this could be a long softball season.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
From what I've seen she's the face, so to speak, for Bama's bats. If they're good, she's the assistant they're talking to as they would with CSVB if both pitchers are hot. HItting wise, as in instruction, it's what I've interpreted as a co-hitting coaching approach. Murphy about hitting around run production and Aly about "this is what the pitcher is throwing to you." I've seen it as a combination deal with a more than a few.

I'm having a hard time being "analytical" on this season because there's so many wrenches.

Chemistry from P to C with the late arrival of Doerr.
One Ace, new to the squad. No catcher.
Ace, in need of rest, gets it ... back in rotation with new catcher.

Pitching, in spite of these things, os coming together in my view.

I look at last night and one thing that jumps out to me is 7,8, and 9. All three frosh. As @EasyTider mentions his experience earlier I'm sure he'll agree that's not an ideal batting order. But, who knew several weeks ago we'd be seeing four frosh in the lineup?

Weird season. Look around and you can see one pushing another.

Side note:

The lady they were facing last night, Autumn Storms, is a good pitcher. All American and All-SEC last year.

Top Bottom