| FTBL Finally...Dixieland delight

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I have any problem with it, and we all know you can't stop them from singing it any other way!

ColAngus

Sideline Club
Reaction score
It should survive. They're playing it in the 4th quarter and there's barely a smattering of students present anyway.

IDGAF either way though honestly.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Okay, can anyone explain to me how it started? I've literally never heard that part of it?

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I never noticed it before, but the students were singing "F*** Auburn" at every pause from the beginning.
Okay, can anyone explain to me how it started? I've literally never heard that part of it?
Back in 2014 Scarbinsky wrote an article referencing "fuck Auburn" as a part of the song. Up until that point it wasn't that much of a big deal. In fact, I'd say those who were offended by it were from a smaller group than those upset about Rammer Jammer in pre-games. But...the Scarbinsky article calling the students behavior classless set this off.

Instead of it being sang once, they said exactly what OP mentions, at every pause from the beginning of the song. The Administration hadn't been "upset" by it's use once, but that much of an emphasis led to it being banned.

The article preceded the 2014 game/video I posted earlier.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Now you guys see what I was referring to earlier.

Reaction score
JMO but the return of this song will last about as long as Ben Davis actual playing minutes at Bama.

Mr AD...."what were you thinking"

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
JMO but the return of this song will last about as long as Ben Davis actual playing minutes at Bama.

I hope every head of every fraternity speaks with their members and threatens them with expulsion from the fraternity if they use the "old" words. I get it. We don't like Auburn, LSU and Tennessee. Try to show some class. Sing the new words louder to drown out the idiots who insist on using the old words.

Reaction score

I hope every head of every fraternity speaks with their members and threatens them with expulsion from the fraternity if they use the "old" words. I get it. We don't like Auburn, LSU and Tennessee. Try to show some class. Sing the new words louder to drown out the idiots who insist on using the old words.

There is Iron in your words.........The Ten Bears

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
I find it ironic that CNS says "shit" 6 times on his radio show (in violation of FCC regs) but everybody gets hand wringing over the fbomb. FTR I have no problem with either one

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
I find it ironic that CNS says "shit" 6 times on his radio show (in violation of FCC regs) but everybody gets hand wringing over the fbomb. FTR I have no problem with either one
It's an issue of sportsmanship. CNS isn't using the S-word to describe or attack an opponent. 50,000+ fans (not all of them were doing it) repeatedly yelling "F*** Auburn" does not represent the school well.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I have no issue with either word. In fact I have no issue with many words at all but our society deemed certain words not fit for public (see George Carlin).

Elderfalsedemigod

Century Club
Reaction score
It's an issue of sportsmanship. CNS isn't using the S-word to describe or attack an opponent. 50,000+ fans (not all of them were doing it) repeatedly yelling "F*** Auburn" does not represent the school well.

Don't really want to argue with you but I would ask your feelings on 100,000 fans repeatedly yelling "Hey ____________ we just beat the hell outta you"? It gives me goosebumps and uncontrollable silly grins

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@Elderfalsedemigod, Both can be defined as profanity, but only one as vulgarity. There's the point.

If you want to argue about who decides what is vulgar and profane? That's an easy answer. It's the house.

Elderfalsedemigod

Century Club
Reaction score
@Elderfalsedemigod, Both can be defined as profanity, but only one as vulgarity. There's the point.

If you want to argue about who decides what is vulgar and profane? That's an easy answer. It's the house.
Point taken. I do not disagree with the University because ultimately it is their house and their rules. I suppose I am a bit of a jaded heathen as far as the language itself goes.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I suppose I am a bit of a jaded heathen as far as the language itself goes.
I'm betting there are things you'll say with your friends you won't say at the dinner table at Mom's. It's not a "heathen" thing.

True story. A guy compliments a lady one day when he hears about how she "cut some ass" with a few employees that were dropping the ball at work. The comment was, "damn, you're a bitch." Now, those around him knew what he was saying--I'm included in that group. She, however, didn't.

What's bad for one, isn't for another.

What I find a little crazy is this...

'bout three, maybe four days before the tweet embedded earlier the evilgregbyrne account on Twitter broke the news. At least that was the first time I saw it posted anywhere. I can this close (insert mental image of your choice) to starting a thread here with the theme being "This Dixieland Delight story is a waste of freakin' time. Ya screwed up. Now, because you're called out on attendance it's "music, bring DD back."

It's kids being kids in college. I get it. Doesn't mean I care for it.

I'll say this. The atmosphere in Bryant Denny Saturday night is going to be electric when the anticipation starts.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I suppose I am a bit of a jaded heathen as far as the language itself goes.

I'll say this. The atmosphere in Bryant Denny Saturday night is going to be electric when the anticipation starts.
Don't rub it in Terry... I was suppose to be on the sideline this weekend but we had three trees fall on my family's place at Lake Eufaula and I'm needed to help with the cleanup Saturday instead.

Top Bottom