Trending Fall Camp thread - 2018!

Featured Thread #1
The first day of practice was Friday afternoon in a humid Tuscaloosa but there was at least some relief from an overcast sky. We'll get right into what we saw in the two-period media viewing period.

-- No quarterback emerged in the 14 minutes we saw.

-- Reading too much into anything would be a mistake but both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa threw crisp passes in drills without defensive pressure.

-- Outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings looked fresh leading the line of drills with his group. Coming off a major knee injury in the Sugar Bowl, he looked eager and aggressive in the drills led by first-year defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi.

-- This was the first official practice for quite a few freshmen -- more than normal since so few enrolled early for the spring.

-- OLB Eyabi Anoma was one of the top-five ranked recruits coming out of Baltimore. You could see he has good speed but has room to add weight on his 6-foot-5, 245-pound frame.

-- Injured outside linebacker Terrell Lewis was watching the practice from inside the weight room. He had a healthy-sized brace on his knee after tearing his ACL over the summer.

-- If there were any questions, DeVonta Smith was with the receivers after spending some time in the spring with the DBs. The addition of several freshmen in the secondary was notable with considerable attention on top cornerback recruit Patrick Surtain II.
More here:
Alabama practice report: Observations from first workout of 2018 season

(Video w/ link)

Coach Saban Post Practice

-- Saban said only 12 or 13 players didn't pass the conditioning test heading into fall camp, which he says is among the lowest numbers during his tenure at the program.
-- Saban characterized the first practice as "really, really good."
-- Saban said that there were two players in black, non-contact jerseys -- freshman outside linebacker Eyabi Anoma (jaw) and defensive back Nigel Knott (unspecified).
-- Saban praised freshman cornerbacks Jalyn Armour-Davis, Patrick Surtain Jr. and Josh Jobe.
-- Saban said Alabama has worked hard to add depth at inside linebacker. He added that pass rushers Christian Miller and Chris Allen have been "working some" at that spot.
-- Saban said Mack Wilson is still a work in progress as far as becoming a leader, but that he has made strides in that area.
-- Saban is not in favor of the "fair catch" rule on kickoffs that puts the ball on the 25 because, he claims, it takes some strategy out of the game.

FYI - Saw a note @ the BamaHammer website about Benton possibly facing a suspension to start this season. No idea if accurate...

As long as Mack and Dylan stay healthy the Tide is in great shape at inside linebacker. Coming off a redshirt season, Benton could be a pleasant surprise. There is a recurring rumor Benton will miss a couple of games due to a suspension. Alabama football insiders say spring practice showed improved play by Benton. There has been no upbeat news about former 5-Star and Alabama legacy, Ben Davis.
Alabama Football: Pre-Fall Camp Depth Chart

Anybody beside me going to the Running of the Gumps today? I hope Phil's is open at 10 AM for cold beers if not then I know Publix will have them. I am very interested to see the new punter. We need at least 55 yards from toe to receiver and some height.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Anybody beside me going to the Running of the Gumps today? I hope Phil's is open at 10 AM for cold beers if not then I know Publix will have them. I am very interested to see the new punter. We need at least 55 yards from toe to receiver and some height.
Was planning on it, but it was very short notice this year, I feel like less than ever before. My wife feels like the baby can come any day noe, so I had to curb the idea this year and settle to cut my grandmomma's grass. She's three hours closer than Tuscaloosa is. Have a blast, and stretch those hammies before they release the Gumps. Wish I could have taken my kids to get some autographs.

-- Saban asks the team what will we be in 30 days? What has to be done before game day?

-- Discipline and toughness are the two things that go a long way toward that.

-- "You have to have a strong breaking point."

-- Eric Thomas was the Friday night speaker at camp. He asked the difference between being the beast and just winning.

-- Saban notes this is the first time fan day comes before players are in full pads. Just helmets and shorts Saturday afternoon.

-- The transition with two new coordinators was "painless." They didn't change terminology or game plans with either.

-- It's not hard to figure out why Alabama has to replace so much production on defense, Saban said. Not one starter back in the secondary, other than Deionte Thompson (started twice).

-- Tosh Lupoi has developed as a coach, wanted to take step to be known as more than a recruiter or just a front line coach. Saban spent a lot of time helping him with the secondary and he's made a lot of improvement there.

-- There's no straw vote with the players as to who will be the quarterback. Since it wouldn't be unanimous, it would only be divisive, Saban said. It has to be done at a higher level.

-- Saban wants to know why everyone thinks there has to be a first or second team quarterback.

-- "I'm not in the creating expectation business," Saban said. "That's what you do. We fight against that."

-- Saban getting fired up talking about QBs. He doesn't have an answer for whether they will use two quarterbacks.

-- Najee Harris played "really really well" at the end of the season learning the pass protections and the rest of the factors that go into being a more complete running back.
More here:
What Nick Saban said about Alabama QBs, expectations

bamachine

Master Debater
Hopefully he works out better for us than the last guy we had with the perfect name for his position, Dee Liner.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Just doesn't sound like Jalen is happy. You can feel some of the resentment in his tone and wording. He pretty much implied he's been put on lockdown with the media and doesn't like it. I certainly get why Saban didn't like being put in the situation Jalen's dad put him in with his public comments, but win, lose or draw I'm surprised that coach Saban hasn't continued to communicate with Jalen about his role with the team.

-- Tua Tagovailoa was the quarterback with the first-team offense at the beginning of practice. And it looked like he got the majority of reps with the ones through at least the early part of practice.

-- Jalen Hurts had two of the best throws of the practice. One was a touchdown pass of about 35 yards to walk-on Bryce Musso. The other was a perfectly-thrown ball to Henry Ruggs on a go route that went for a touchdown of around 40 yards despite tight coverage from one of the Crimson Tide's first-team defensive backs.

-- There's another quarterback that deserves to be mentioned too, though. Third-string QB Mac Jones had some great throws later in practice, including one he squeezed into a tight window to freshman receiver Xavier Williams. Williams, whom I heard some good stuff about during the summer, had a couple nice catches.

-- Junior cornerback Shyheim Carter, who continues to work as the Tide's first-team nickel back, had at least two interceptions. He picked off both Tagovailoa and Hurts.

-- Sophomore Alex Leatherwood was the right tackle with the first-team offense. Matt Womack, who is back after missing the spring due to a foot injury, was with the second group. The first-team offensive line was the same as the end of the spring: Jonah Williams at left tackle, Lester Cotton at left guard, Ross Pierschbacher at center, Jedrick Wills at right guard and Leatherwood at right tackle. The second-team line consisted of Scott Lashley at left tackle, Deonte Brown at left guard, Chris Owens at center, Josh Casher at right guard and Womack at right tackle.

-- Trevon Diggs was primarily outside at corner but also, as we talked about with him entering camp, got some reps inside at Star.

-- The second-team secondary was: freshman Josh Jobe and Nigel Knott at cornerback, Jared Mayden at Star and Daniel Wright and Kyriq McDonald at safety. Wright picked off Hurts at one point during the practice.

-- Xavian Marks was first up during punt returner drills. Freshman Jaylen Waddle was next. Jerry Jeudy was third.

-- Later in practice, I was keeping an eye some on five-star freshman outside linebacker Eyabi Anoma. On the first play I watched, he blew by the left tackle, fellow freshman Tommy Brown, and got to the quarterback within what seemed like a second or two. As you should know at this point if you've been reading our work at all this summer, he has some big-time potential as a pass rusher.
More here:
Takeaways, notes from Alabama's open practice

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Everything I've read/heard about Anoma sounds like he could be one of those guys that gets early playing time as a situational player.

Punt returner is going to be interesting. That was a disaster last year and Ruggs not even being in the top three sucks. So much potential there but I think it's going to be Marks, just for reliability, at least to start the season.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Brian Robinson and Najee just look big and badass. Nothing against Damien Harris because I hsve always been a fan and appreciated him, but I would love to see #22 and #24 get a lot of carries this season.

If Ben Davis is still #1, he definitely looks the part. Big tall guy. Looks like he has lost some weight and looks very lean and tall. Hope he's starting to get it and sees this field this year.

Brian Robinson and Najee just look big and badass. Nothing against Damien Harris because I hsve always been a fan and appreciated him, but I would love to see #22 and #24 get a lot of carries this season.

If Ben Davis is still #1, he definitely looks the part. Big tall guy. Looks like he has lost some weight and looks very lean and tall. Hope he's starting to get it and sees this field this year.
Agreed on the RB's. I'm on the Robinson train.

Had to do a double check on #1 to see who the new stud was. lol

Monday Insider Report: Practice No. 3
Monday Insider Report: Practice No. 3 | BamaInsider.com

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama held its third of 20 preseason practices Monday as the team prepared for its Sept. 1 season-opener against Louisville. Players were dressed in shorts and shells and practiced outside in sunny, 90-degree weather. Here are a few notes from the media viewing session.

— Alabama made some switches at linebacker as Christopher Allen practiced with the inside backers while Ben Davis moved alongside the outside backers.

— Dylan Moses was back and working without limitations after leaving Saturday’s open practice with cramps. Mack Wilson led the unit and was followed by Moses, Markail Benton, Joshua McMillon, Jaylen Moody and Allen.

— Anfernee Jennings led the outside linebackers and was followed by Christian Miller, Jamey Mosely, Jarez Parks, Cameron Latu, Eyabi Anoma and Ben Davis. Anoma received plenty of extra attention from defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi, who urged him to watch the veterans on a couple of occasions.

— Anoma is still somewhat raw, but physically he’s one of the most impressive players on the team. Even at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds, he moved well when the outside linebackers were tracking back for coverage drills.

— Shyheim Carter led the cornerbacks backs during individual drills and was followed by Trevon Diggs, Saivion Smith, Josh Jobe, Jayln Armour-Davis, and Patrick Surtain Jr.

— When the unit went to one-on-one drills, Diggs made a nice one-handed grab over Carter and kept the ball out in front of him after the play. Carter was then quick to knock the ball out of his teammate's hand.

— Deionte Thompson led the safeties followed by Xavier McKinney, Jared Mayden, Daniel Wright, Kyriq McDonald and Keaton Anderson.

— The unit also worked on shedding blocks before wrapping up ball carriers. Surtain showed he could pack some pop and was the only cornerback to strip the ball.

— We didn’t see quarterbacks go through drills in any order. Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa threw side by side both in individual drills and to receivers. Neither did anything to separate themselves from one another during the viewing period.

— Jerry Jeudy continued to lead the slot receivers and was followed by Chadarius Townsend, Jaylen Waddle and Bryce Musso. Devonta Smith led one of the outside receiver groups and was followed by Tyrell Shavers, and Xavier Williams. Henry Ruggs III led the other outside group and was followed by Xavian Marks, Derek Kief, and Slade Bolden.

1 Tony_Tsoukalas, Today at 3:29 PM
Last edited by a moderator: Today at 3:45 PM

Thanks for the updates 17!

-So I guess after some experimenting this Spring Bolden ended up at receiver.

-Seems like Shy Carter is one of those Saban guys... Whether it's at Star, outside CB, or both, sure seems like he's a shoe in to play a lot.

-Again, not sure Dylan Moses will have the umph to make it through the whole season. Has anyone else heard anything about Benton's potential suspension? I guess if it's only a couple games early in the season it shouldn't impact too much.

-So many young WR's... All super talented. Townsend is intriguing to me... Always thought he reminded me of A. Stewart with his size and athleticism. Whether that translates who knows

-Of those 3 incoming CB's I'm the most excited about Jobe. Obviously still super early in the process but someone will be taking some snaps! The battle is on!

Last edited: