| FTBL 🏈 FALL CAMP 2019 🏈 Updates from the Tide's final fall scrimmage

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
LB corp overall. As others have said specifically who lines up beside Moses and to some extent who gets 2nd string reps

I am interested to see how the FSU transfer fits in on the OL.

TE intrigues me

Want to see if Sark uses any 2 back sets

A player that I have taken a bit of interest in is Nigel Knott. Hope to see him pick up some snaps

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
My thoughts in no particular order:

1. LB plan with Dylan Moses at the helm. How well has he been coached over the off season to be the commander on this defense? How well do our "starting' 4 gel & play with their ears pinned back. I'm really hoping this LB corp can get to a point in the season quickly where they are just so in tune there is just pure reaction to the ball.

2. OL as mentioned earlier in this thread but I truly wish for a run first OL. We have already established the passing game so we need to set a precedence with the run again. This is why we failed so miserable in the red zone last year. We just couldn't impose our will on our competition.

3. Can Tua be willing to take easy play first over the big play? We need more of this... These quick play drives are really putting a beating on our defense throughout the season. Lets get back to learn the value of ball control. This will keep him healthy too.

4. Who's going to take the place of Irv Smith at TE.

5. DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH... We need to see our 2nd team at every position developed more. Experience plus longevity will allow us to be ready for the playoffs starting with the SECCG.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@Justneedme81, a few of your thoughts we don't see eye to eye on. One thing I want to point to...well, one person.

Jobe is one of those guys I'll be watching as well. I can't begin to count how many times I've heard good things. That said, to date ... and these things may change in August as we all know.

Jobe was slated to start in Dime with Diggs on the other side. Carter, McKinney, and Mayden as safeties with Surtain in Money.

Mayden is the odd man out in nickel.

Reaction score
I think we all need to move on with Ben Davis.. it is very unlikely he will see significant reps at LBs... There are way better players ahead of him right now. He should've transferred last year when he had a chance.
The highlight of Ben's career was the day he committed to The King....all downhill after that

He looks like his father but he plays like his mother

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Question: You think Saban will replace Mac with Tauila later in season.... I don't think we've seen a case where Saban made a change at back up QBs late in the season... I can see Tauila and Paul playing in 4 games and get redshirted.
Pretty sure AJ slid into GMAC's backup spot for the Title game back in '09....

But also keep in mind, it's kind of a "sensative" situation. Tua is out after this year... I don't think Tuaila is gonna hang around to be Mac Jones' backup. In 2019, QB situations are complicated. Just sayin

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
@Justneedme81, a few of your thoughts we don't see eye to eye on. One thing I want to point to...well, one person.

Jobe is one of those guys I'll be watching as well. I can't begin to count how many times I've heard good things. That said, to date ... and these things may change in August as we all know.

Jobe was slated to start in Dime with Diggs on the other side. Carter, McKinney, and Mayden as safeties with Surtain in Money.

Jobe is an exciting player... That late experience vs Clemson may pay dividends this season. Won't get any tougher than that.

There was talk about J.A.D. being a player before his injury. Have you heard anything on him this year?

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I think we all need to move on with Ben Davis.. it is very unlikely he will see significant reps at LBs... There are way better players ahead of him right now. He should've transferred last year when he had a chance.
To an extent, I completely agree with you. That's why I made a point to say backup reps, because we will need two or three deep to be able to hang. I feel like I saw where Davis lost weight and has gotten quicker this Spring. So rather than make an obvious request, I'm sticking with Parks and Davis to see if either wants those new reps that Anoma gave up.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
All about Defense and improvement there. In my mind this starts on the DL and LB's so that is my focus. We Need a group that can dominate not just be serviceable. Then need depth that does not fall off significantly so we can play at a high level for 4 quarters against elite teams.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
Reaction score

I believe you are right. For some reason I thought Mayden was the favorite... I guess I was wrong.

Crtuneman

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts on the defense: I think the biggest problem we had last year was Mack Wilson was not cut out to be the signal caller. There were so many times when guys were out of position or we had the wrong defense called, and MW just looked lost several times. How many times did teams hit the RB out of the backfield for a huge gain because no one picked him up? Now maybe a lot of that was on Lupoi for not communicating well. Maybe MW just wasn't cerebral enough for the position. He was certainly talented and athletic, and he could hit like a freight train, but he didn't seem to have the talent for setting the D. If Dylan Moses can be the cerebral QB that is needed like Mosley, Foster, Dontae and Ro, then the D should be so much better. Especially with Golding running the show. The defense has abundant talent. They just need someone to get them in the right position.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
My thoughts on the defense: I think the biggest problem we had last year was Mack Wilson was not cut out to be the signal caller. There were so many times when guys were out of position or we had the wrong defense called, and MW just looked lost several times. How many times did teams hit the RB out of the backfield for a huge gain because no one picked him up? Now maybe a lot of that was on Lupoi for not communicating well.
IMO Mack was a reflection of Tosh... Tosh never looked very comfortable.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
My thoughts on the defense: I think the biggest problem we had last year was Mack Wilson was not cut out to be the signal caller. There were so many times when guys were out of position or we had the wrong defense called, and MW just looked lost several times. How many times did teams hit the RB out of the backfield for a huge gain because no one picked him up? Now maybe a lot of that was on Lupoi for not communicating well. Maybe MW just wasn't cerebral enough for the position. He was certainly talented and athletic, and he could hit like a freight train, but he didn't seem to have the talent for setting the D. If Dylan Moses can be the cerebral QB that is needed like Mosley, Foster, Dontae and Ro, then the D should be so much better. Especially with Golding running the show. The defense has abundant talent. They just need someone to get them in the right position.
I agree with you. Mack had amazing talent, but just no brains to be the lead man calling the shots. That's no knock on him, because it takes a special person to command one of the most difficult defenses in football, at any level. Saban has been able to find that a lot more than he hasn't, hence our defensive success. Looking back I can definitely see where Saban tried fitting Wilson into that role even though he didn't seem as comfortable, and his words about Mack weren't as natural as when he spoke about guys like Mosley and Reggie Ragland. Foster finally picked it up his Senior year, but luckily had some seniors in front of him years before that got him ready. Wilson gave up and didn't use his senior year to get to that level. He was still WAY more focused on getting his "bag", marketing his Nobody Safe brand, and his shoe collection on social media than giving that extra time to his craft. Never saw that from the ones that came before him that succeeded so well.

I have a lot more faith in Dylan Moses. Folks on here have been drilling him for two years, but he has been a tackling machine for our team and works harder than most. He is a guy I wanted at Alabama long before he committed, so I am positively behind him, and he will win the Butkus Award this year. As a Top 3 Finalist last year, that just speaks to what he did, even compared to the criticism on this board that he got. He has the ability and that allows him to get the mental part a lot more. I felt Mack had the talent, but still had to develop his three years that left less time to mentally prepare. Moses I feel is already there ability wise and can prepare this offseason on the metal aspect of it all, which gives him a leg up on the guy he shared the middle with last season. Just my two cents, but definitely agree with your comments.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I can't recall if it was ESPN's four part series on Bama or one of the "informational" type tweets from @AlabamaFTBL that featured the team getting in small pools of ice water last year. I do recall the discussion happened just after a player died in the northeast.

Along those same lines here's something that you may have not seen before.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
It was probably a month ago, maybe six weeks when Forristall was seen wearing a protective boot. Ray is supposed to be ready for Duke but this is giving guys like Eboigbe some quality reps in camp.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
It's interesting to have a player report date. Who isn't already on campus?

bamaledge

Vigilate, et audax
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I’m looking at the oL, DL, QB, RB, ah hell, every one. We got our ass kicked by Clemson. I don’t want to see that again.

Top Bottom