| FTBL 🏈 FALL CAMP 2019 🏈 Tide preps for season opener

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I'm paying attention to what they said. From the horses mouth, "terminology."

Saban touched on it in the past few weeks when discussing the 10 personnel comments in the presser. The same terminology wasn't being used throughout the team. As another example, what can be relayed in to the huddle in three words versus, say six.

You are right in that simpler terminology led to quicker reactions. One of the reasons Pruitt was better than Kirby "on the fly" was due to those changes. 12's right though. Schematically, we're still watching the same defense.

So it's all in the brain in the final analysis. Pruitt was freeing up the kids in other ways as well. Coach Saban admitted that he was guilty of streamlining the scheme. Pruitt was playing a lot more simple man to man covers and blitzing the hell out of these offensives. These kids were getting the reader's digest version of War and Peace and that too allowed Pruitt to free up the guys

In the same article:

"And while it's true that Alabama does look quicker, the increased velocity of its play may have as much to do with the defenders reading and reacting at an accelerated rate because they don't have to process as much information. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban corroborated what Anderson said on Sunday, explaining that the coaching staff has streamlined the scheme.

"Well, I think that we're playing the same system," Saban said. "I think the one thing that we've done is we've repped the things that we're going to play in the games, sort of pared it down a little bit. I think our players are a little bit more confident in what they're supposed to do, the adjustments they need to make. I think they've played well because of that. It's interesting to hear that the players think that, as well. It's good to know."

In the final analysis, I believe this is what Pete Golding is really talking about when he is letting the younger kids just learn specific packages and get them on the field. I mean it's defense, it's just a reactionary game. If we play cover 0 or cover 1 and like Pruitt Blitz the hell out of the opposition with our better athletes, it works. We've already seen it.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@UAgrad93, last night and this morning I've found myself chuckling and shaking my head a few times.

We're seeing a lot of people getting pumped up about the progression of the interior linebacking corps. Coincidently, a lot of the same people who were complaining about Golding are the same ones lauding the younger guys.

From what I've learned the defensive guys are a lot farther along this time this year than they were last season at the same time. You went to the scrimmage last year, didn't you? You'll recall wide receivers running wide open all day. We aren't seeing that this year. The coverage this fall compared to last is an apples and oranges comparison. Far, far less confusion from sideline to huddle as well.

• communication is better this year than last
  • coverage is better this year than last
  • pass rush is better this year than last
  • blown assignments are down by a large degree
I don't like hearing CNS complain about missed tackles but I have to balance that against where they are: second scrimmage, mental exhaustion, and we all know these guys are tired. Then again, you and I talked last season about how Locks was stressing ball security in the fall and we were both looking at his comments with a raised eyebrow. That wasn't an issue with the running backs last year. Hopefully, we're in the same boat with tackles. (boat, tackle, might as well go fishing this afternoon.)

A note this morning informed me that a lady in Canada had her thermostat coming on last night. We know that hasn't happened in Tuscaloosa.
I was there last year and you are right. Tighter cover and little to no confusion on the defense. Saban even mentioned mental fatigue as well. He said that they had them from 8:30am until 9pm each night in camp with lifting, meetings, and practices.

B

Bama News

After getting Sunday off, the Alabama football team was back on the field for an evening practice in Tuscaloosa. It was a comfortable 81 degrees when they took the field.

A few observations from a shorter-than-normal media viewing period:

-- DJ Dale was working with the defensive line in a crimson full-contact jersey. He was held out of the scrimmage as a precautionary measure as he recovers from a minor injury.

-- Fellow defensive lineman Stephon Wynn, out for a few weeks, was spotted in a black non-contact jersey wearing a walking boot.

-- It looked like outside linebackers Anfernee Jennings and Terrell Lewis were getting a few drills off to the side. Lewis was limited in the scrimmage, Nick Saban said, as a precaution.

-- The quarterbacks looked good.

-- Running back Jerome Ford was not spotted as expected after spraining his ankle in the scrimmage. Freshman Keilan Robinson was third in line behind Najee Harris and Brian Robinson.

-- Players were in helmets and shoulder pads instead of full gear like Saban said after the scrimmage. This would be more like a typical Monday walk-through after a game than a full practice, Saban said.

-- Practice resumes Tuesday as they transition out of camp mode with classes starting this week.

— First-team inside linebacker Christian Harris had a brace on his left knee and didn’t go through drills during the media viewing period. With Harris out, fellow freshman Shane Lee was the other inside linebacker next to Dylan Moses when Alabama practiced in its base defense.

— Anfernee Jennings stood off to the side during the portion of outside linebacker drills I saw. With Jennings not participating, Terrell Lewis and Chris Allen were the top two outside linebackers. When the Tide worked in its base defense, freshmen Kevin Harris and King Mwikuta were the first two outside linebackers in with the second-team defense. It looked like Ben Davis then came in for Harris.

— Freshman defensive lineman Antonio Alfano wasn’t present during the media viewing period for a second straight day.

— Former Alabama and current Jacksonville Jaguars defensive lineman Marcell Dareus was in attendance for practice.

— The first-team base secondary consisted of Trevon Diggs and Patrick Surtain at cornerback and Xavier McKinney and Jared Mayden at safety. The second-team base secondary had Josh Jobe and freshman Marcus Banks at cornerback and Shyheim Carter and Daniel Wright at safety. Freshman Jordan Battle shadowed Carter while freshman Scooby Carter shadowed Jobe.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Anyone know what's up with Alfano?!

PS - Thanks for the updates

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Hand in the dirt?
I learned that during a text exchange; didn't ask. We were talking about pass rush so it could be either.

We are talking about a scrimmage and you know the rules involved with QB sacks (touch) ... @UAgrad93 can be more specific, perhaps, but it's my understanding he had three or four sacks Saturday and a number or QB pressures.

When you mentioned him a few days ago I wondered who you thought he might supplant. Hearing this news about a guy who was basically an unheralded player I thought, "Look who's decided to show up to the party."

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Anyone know what's up with Alfano?!

PS - Thanks for the updates
Saban has a presser tomorrow. IF there's anything there we'll likely hear about it first thing. Several have mentioned he's dealing with a family issue the family would rather keep quiet. Severals have reinforced "he's not left the program."

Family issues? Adjustment issues? Neither are unheard of or uncommon.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I learned that during a text exchange; didn't ask. We were talking about pass rush so it could be either.

We are talking about a scrimmage and you know the rules involved with QB sacks (touch) ... @UAgrad93 can be more specific, perhaps, but it's my understanding he had three or four sacks Saturday and a number or QB pressures.

When you mentioned him a few days ago I wondered who you thought he might supplant. Hearing this news about a guy who was basically an unheralded player I thought, "Look who's decided to show up to the party."
King did make things uncomfortable for the QBs. He is a high motor guy with an explosive first step. A reasonable comparison would be to Tim Williams.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
I was there last year and you are right. Tighter cover and little to no confusion on the defense. Saban even mentioned mental fatigue as well. He said that they had them from 8:30am until 9pm each night in camp with lifting, meetings, and practices.
There has to be a trade-off, though. Perhaps this means fewer busts like we had in the NC game, but it also means opponents can prepare for fewer schemes. Many times that means we compensate by bringing more, and quicker, pressure. Nothing better than seeing a QB completely flustered, saying we're everywhere.

A little dated, but I enjoyed watching this clip of Jake Browning against Bama. Just the pass attempts, you can see the first drive success, and then the pressure tightens. Less lopsided, but reminds me of the Florida SECC game a few years back as well. Successful first drive, then we adjust. I had tix for that game in a Florida section, started with a friendly pre-game conversation with a guy behind me in which we gave honest predictions (I said I thought we'd win by 28+). Lord, that guy was in my ear after that first TD, but got quiet pretty quick.

RTR,

Tim

colbyjacks

Verified Member
Sideline Club
Reaction score
If it wasn't for passing in the flats, Washington wouldn't have had many completions.

Reaction score
Saban has a presser tomorrow. IF there's anything there we'll likely hear about it first thing. Several have mentioned he's dealing with a family issue the family would rather keep quiet. Severals have reinforced "he's not left the program."

Family issues? Adjustment issues? Neither are unheard of or uncommon.
I have a bad feeling about this situation. We'll see.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score

Reason I asked was someone I knew threw out the name Courtney Upshaw when talking about him.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
King did make things uncomfortable for the QBs. He is a high motor guy with an explosive first step. A reasonable comparison would be to Tim Williams.
The comment someone told me is that he goes "100 MPH on every single snap."

NickelDoubleDog

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Reason I asked was someone I knew threw out the name Courtney Upshaw when talking about him.
Physically, what are his measurables? More along Tim Williams line, or Upshaw? Both of those guys were great pass rushers, just distinctly different body types.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Physically, what are his measurables?
He's taller than Williams and Upshaw. More along the lines of TL's frame.

Those are shoes very, very few can wear. His football acumen coming out of high school is close to generational. I'm not knocking King here, but Upshaw is a high standard.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The comment someone told me is that he goes "100 MPH on every single snap."
Coach said Saturday that "King plays 1000 mph! Problem is, he sometimes goes in the wrong direction! Now, if we can get him coached up and going in the right direction ALL of the time, King will be able to contribute!"

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Coach said Saturday that "king plays 1000 mph! Problem is, he sometimes goes in the wrong direction! Now, if we can get him coached up and going in the right direction ALL of the time, King will be able to contribute!"
In obvious passing situations, there's only one direction to go.

Top Bottom