• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Expected coaching changes.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Defense was what it was. W/o the pick sixes we win by 2 TD's.

footballer

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Has anyone considered who has been teaching ILB the past 2 years? And why ILB are slow to learn the system? The same guy rumored to be on his way out. Without good teachers, it can be very difficult to learn. Hell, I failed algebra 2 damn years before I got with a good teacher.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Terry I applaud your patience with some of these armchair coaches...seems like they don't grasp the concept that players can and usually do improve over time . I think our defense needs the aggressive style back but that comes when they know what to do and where to go and just react. CNS saw where the trend was going offensively and hired kiffin ,and I have zero doubt he ll adjust on defense . Very few defenses are lockdown anymore and up until now we were as good as any . I believe we have the players to get that defensive edge back . We just need the right DC.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
You're proving my point again, Josh. Look at the guys you're mentioning and when they played.

I've contended all season that all of this criticism towards the defense wasn't apropos because the comparisons were being made to the teams back in the 2011 and 2012 era. With Ro you're going back farther than those seasons. And yet, the examples you're pointing to here are exactly that. Guys from those seasons.

You've said, as have many others, that the change on offenses around the NCAA had an unintended consequence of affecting the other side of the ball. And now that we're seeing that come to fruition at Alabama it doesn't fit because it doesn't support your argument.

Yes, he did, as a back-up to Nico in 2011 and 2012.

But again, like I mentioned to Josh above this...this is exactly what I've been pointing to.

I don't disagree that the defense had issues this season. I did disagree with some of the criticism. This mantra "the defense sucks" flew against what we saw around FBS this season.

And yet sit at #11 in passing defense this season. Pass defense efficiency, #9.

Context, and perspective.

You've said on more than one occasion about how the defensive line helps the secondary. Yet, with so many frosh in the front seven this season you don't take that into account when you're making your critiques.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think Golding wasn't the right fit for now...he may be someday. I think Schuman or maybe Charlie strong would be better for here and now. In my mind it boils down to the front 7 being older and wiser next year.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
I will later on today...trying to add something I've been working on to "dress up" the quote function ... let me play a little bit this morning. I'll tag ya when I post my thoughts on the subject.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Going to be A LOT of names that will get thrown around for the DC job. Sunseri and Kelly on staff, Strong on the newly unemployed list, Mike McIntyre at Ole Miss, potentially another run at Jimmy Lake, Bob Shoop, Dan Lanning, etc. Then you have some former DCs that are currently HCs like Muschamp. I know that there are more out there.

Reaction score
If anybody has Keith Holcombe's number then call him and ask him to come on back for one more year. Nick is actually hoping that McMillon will return for a 5th season(yes I know it's really 6) . We're talking about a ILB than never played a meaningful down in his 4 years yet he was going to start for this bunch. We better understand the reason after 12 games. It could be the coaching or the player or both but the 5 ILB that played this year were really bad. Tell me who many times 8,36,36,and 10 made a play that really make you think they were good. Ovah and my house my scorecard says none. Nada,Zaip,Zero. They actually made everybody else on the defense look worse because they couldn't do their part successfully.

Bama Boy

Registered
Reaction score
There are several proven Defensive Coordinator options, if Golding decides to leave:

1. Barry Odom from Mizzouri

2. Charlie Strong from USF

3. Mike MacIntyre from Ole Miss

4. Dave Steckel, Missouri

5. Ellis Johnson from South Carolina

6. John Chavis from Arkansas

7. Bud Foster from Virginia Tech

8. Will Muschamp from South Carolina (If he does not return)

9. Bob Shoop from Mississippi State.

I like Barry Odom. His defensive players played way above their recruiting grades and were always tough.

Last edited:

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Yeah I'll pass on "3rd and chavis" and on Ellis Johnson. Johnson used to drive me crazy when he was with dubose. Charlie strong and Barry Odom would fit well here.

Vabama77

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Good Lord man.... Christian Harris is good and anyone with any football iq can see that. Give him time

Top Bottom