• Guest Holiday graphics can be disabled in your preferences. Happy Holidays!

| FTBL Expected coaching changes.

Tidestalker

Bama Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Benton started against LSU.... Played almost the whole game. Which is likely why we haven't see him since.

I think Harris is a future star, but just not ready this year. I believe he got nicked up early which probably didn't help.

Kaho is someone that we certainly need to step up next year. Even if he's the 3rd guy... He HAS to be ready.

I think it just came down to Lee being the most mentally ready to understand the defense. Whatever that's worth. That doesn't mean he actually got to the right places, but he did compete and play with physicality. Just so many times you see him plugging the wrong run hole or running hopelessly behind a WR/TE/RB... He's at least a decent option next year. Depth is always needed

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
There were a good number of defenses out there better than Bama this year. Likely less complicated ones, and no doubt using less talented players. Just my observations when contemplating guys taking multiple years to learn a scheme. Maybe it’s the scheme, it shouldn’t be the talent. We were not a top D.

I hear Bud Foster is available... At least we’d hear his name 25+ times per game. Wish we could get Venables to leave Clemson. Not to come to us, but to separate from Dabo...

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Charlie Strong was just terminated from USF.

Venables' kid is on the team, he ain't leaving.

MunchyOs

auburn h8r
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
Speaking of Paul Johnson, has anyone seen DA Baxter? I keep waiting for the unearthing bump of the Saban vs Shula thread 😂

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
You're only proving my point.

What were these guys doing their sophomore years? As one example, CJ was playing behind guys you've mentioned here. Ro wasn't Ro until his Junior year. Hell, two years ago you were scoffing at a post of mine when I pointed out what we were beginning to see out of Moses because, and I quote, "It's Mercer."

The point you're even bringing Moses into the equation here is befuddling. That's who Lee and Benton were supposed to back up. Meaning, time to learn the system.

Hightower? He's a different case all together. HIs ability to learn the defense as quickly as he did was shock even to Saban himself.

Again. Perspective and context. You're missing both.

Heck Josh, the only one you've listed here that could keep up with RB's and TE's was CJ. Several of these guys you're talking about were playing at a time when the offenses Bama is facing now were not the same. You know this.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Foster has retired. He's not available.

AS to these defenses that are better this season, how many of them feature the offense we've seen from Bama these last two years.

We're right back to something I've been pointing to all season. For years we all agreed that the wide open offenses cost the defense. But now, this doesn't seem to apply.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Ro wasn't Ro until his junior year yet he was an All-SEC linebacker as a sophomore... and All-Freshman in 2007... Dont'a was a freshman All-American and tore his ACL his sophomore year... CJ was a Freshman All American...

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Hightower blew out the knee his sophomore year against Arky. Played all 14 games his freshman year, as a big contributor. Still a stud what, 8 years in to the league?

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
I just can’t blame our defensive woes this year on our offensive prowess. Has something to do with it? Yeah. The main culprit? Hell no. We weren’t the quick strike this year as we were last year. Yet the defense regressed. The trend lines go in different directions. Score drives and time of possession for us sure seemed like they went up this year, and the opponents scoring went way up.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
The losses of both starting LBs, along with periodic DL injuries, hurt more than anything. As Saban said, these freshmen didn't even have anyone ahead of them in drill lines to show them what to do, had to learn it all from coaching, not following the examples of upperclassmen. If Lee commits to the S&C transformative process, his speed should pick up. Reminds me a little of Damien. Both of those guys will be better. #8 has a greater top end, though.

Top Bottom