| NEWS ESPN reportedly about to have layoffs

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
If they have kept politics out of it..........
Maybe thats it...maybe not...

i dont watch...cause.... i dont care what a bunch of talking heads have to say...
(And I gotta bunch of other stuff i enjoy doing that doesnt include tv..)...

hate to see...the worker bees get the ax though....

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Stinks to see the worker bees get cut when it was the executives that caused it all with their decisions to go political. No doubt the virus hurt viewing with no sports, but it made people realize they weren't forced to get politically lectured by athletes with a political slant from broadcasters either.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I have shut down to only watching the bama games and then the highlights from College Football Live or SEC Now. My TV bill of course hasn't changed but you know the internet/TV providers that carry the content can now negotiate better (lower) deals to make up for some of the lost profit. No idea how this stuff really works so of course I am just speculating.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Yep. The production folks that get the games to air are the MVP's to me, because the games are the only thing I watch on their stations these days. The last few years I would catch some of Gameday on Saturday am's and watch a bit of the SEC Network coverage throughout the week, but have found no need or desire to watch any of it this year. Can't remember the last time I watched a SportsCenter. I'd guess it was after Bama beat UGA for the national championship.

planomateo

Ivory Club
Reaction score
How does a legacy media company adapt?

How do they grow their subscribers?

How do they adapt to a younger generation that has grown up without tv service? And a generation that is 100% bought into streaming services without ESPN being one of them?

This is the problem all legacy media companies are facing, not just ESPN.

I know I've changed, ESPN lost me years ago. I usually only watched it when I was traveling for business. Only watched gameday when I was at the house and only had ESPN on when a game was one that I wanted to watch. They continue to push social platforms, which will turn off more of their legacy base...

Only professional sporting event I watch anymore is a golf major, and that will soon go to the wayside.

As I've gotten older, frankly it's just really not that important to me anymore.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
yeah....you are in a place too that offers more than sitting around on nice days watching something other than games...

i have dvr’ed an nfl game ( titans) or 2 and watched...zipping through commercials...and any pre game anti-American bullshit...

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
Bama Club
Reaction score
I am a Senior citizen and a lifetime member of the metrecal for lunch bunch. There are so many options to grab your attention and It ain't just the kids that use streaming services. I do every day more than TV. Only use TV for live games. Ms RollllTide! stays on 2 channels. Fox News and Hallmark. I pay $125.00 per month for that privilege on DISH. If internet was fast I could change to Youtube RED for $69.00 per month. I can dream but ESPN has to change its politics to either not discuss it or show both sides. I prefer not to discuss it. They can only have payed employees based on their advertising revenue and I bet it sucks right now. Half of their viewers won't watch the left wing crap so you reap what you sow.

We All Bleed Crimson

Football's GREATEST Tradition !
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
For me, there is enough pressure, stress and tension at work and going on in the world. I turn to sports as a bit of an escape from the bull crap (especially as elections are drawing near) that floods us every day. When ESPN, or anyone else, wants to politicize sports, it's time to move on to something else. Alabama football is a good thing, except for the stress at times, but they can have the rest of the stuff. It's time for networks (sports networks) to wake up and smell the coffee. Stop trying to be PC and just allow people to enjoy sports. I will not tune in to listen to their editorial on what is going on in the world, I can get plenty of that anywhere else.

Top Bottom