| FTBL Elias Ricks arrest resolution: guilty for speeding, marijuana charges dismissed.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It’s officer discretion, unless he was heavy on weed, I wouldn’t and haven’t arrested somebody for it. Speeding (depending on speed) I would, no insurance I would have vehicle towed and ticket. Not taking responsibility away from anybody, fines would suffice.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Fines don't teach a lesson. You see it with white collar crime and blue collar crime. Fines stop no one. How much was Wells Fargo popped for the NSF charges they were putting on clients illegally? They have now moved to predatory lending and treating minorities/low credit scores different. They are still breaking the law even after historic SEC fines. Also as an example, I have been pulled over for speeding multiple times. I still speed every day. One thing I haven't done since I got caught and put in jail was drink and drive. Been over 17 years now since I learned that lesson the hard way and haven't done it since.

Since when are laws at officer discretion? You may not see it as worth your time, but when are laws at the discretion of an officer? So you're telling me if you have an agenda as a cop to pop everyone going 2 mph or more over the speed limit for say a time you got hit by a speeder or a family member did, it's ok for you to stop them over for speeding, but if a guy for a crime you personally don't care for like marijuana is carrying you could let him go every time and not be facing administrative discipline? That seems to be the mindset that puts us in a situation where you see white cops treating black defendants differently, but if it's up to their discretion is it really grounds to be fired just because it becomes a story on television?

On to another portion of this topic, I would be pissed off if a cop just towed a car of a driver driving around with zero insurance. Ever dealt with an accident or medical injury when the other driver isn't insured? And you think a tow truck fine is going to stop them? Lock their ass up and let them think about it for a few hours or days and let the court fine them before they decide to chance it again.

I get it, there are more horrible things going on in the world, but let's relate it to the steps the NCAA has taken towards this NIL deal. First you let these guys have free scholarships, all inclusive, great, deserved, worth it. Then you start paying them stipends. Then you start paying them to make good grades. Then you start funding trips for their families for bowl games. Then you start legally allowing them to get paid. Now we have coaches tampering with players from other teams and causing trouble as well as agents/handlers/boosters luring kids into school with their checkbooks. Give a mouse a cookie. The point of this is, you let the small to medium stuff go, and then it escalates to bigger and worse things. Atleast that's my two cents on the matter.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Yeah, we do. Every situation is different: it can't be rubber stamped.

Let's remember, it was possession. If one was smoking when they were pulled over we'd see a DUI charge, not a simple possession charge.

I don't follow you here. If drugs are illegal in that state, why does it matter if it was for personal use or to sell? Like we've talked about before with concealed carry, it doesn't always reciprocate once you cross state lines, but you are liable to follow that state's guidelines when in their jurisdiction.

I just don't understand what we're trying to teach "kids" these days when you act as if it's ok to do something illegal, but in your situation it's different. That leads to a lot of issues. Illegal is illegal. If it wasn't illegal he wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
I don't follow you here. If drugs are illegal in that state, why does it matter if it was for personal use or to sell?
It's a ticketable offense, by law in MS, subject to fines that don't exceed a couple of hundred dollars. Hence, the point.

The arrest was because of what I mentioned earlier and everyone's attention is on the marijuana.

Mississippi Code Annotated § 41-29-139(c)

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It's a ticketable offense, by law in MS, subject to fines that don't exceed a couple of hundred dollars. Hence, the point.

The arrest was because of what I mentioned earlier and everyone's attention is on the marijuana.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Gotcha Gotcha.

You still wonder how these guys pass drug tests from Alabama or the NCAA.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
On a somewhat related note, I'm thinking there's a 50/50 chance he gets suspended for a game, if that. I'm sure he'll do his 'bit' with one of the rehab locations they've used and a ride along as well.

You still wonder how these guys pass drug tests from Alabama or the NCAA.
How many coaches do you think would rather see their players smoking a little versus hitting opioids for pain, or something akin to Ambien for sleep?

Even the NCAA has a hard time running surprise tests on any event. With schools, it's a lot like what's seen in the real world: folks know the tests are coming.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
On a somewhat related note, I'm thinking there's a 50/50 chance he gets suspended for a game, if that. I'm sure he'll do his 'bit' with one of the rehab locations they've used and a ride along as well.

How many coaches do you think would rather see their players smoking a little versus hitting opioids for pain, or something akin to Ambien for sleep?

Even the NCAA has a hard time running surprise tests on any event. With schools, it's a lot like what's seen in the real world: folks know the tests are coming.

I don't understand why any of it's needed if we have the possibility and funds to focus on better mental health. I don't want anyone having to use a crutch to feel good each day. A lot of the problem in this country is due to prescription pills, but damn if the illegal ones don't cause a lot of violence for their territory either. I'm telling you, it's all for the dollar and it's accepted because it keeps people down. How can anyone rise up if they are reliant on drugs that can suppress them? Probably more than you cared to hear or read, but it would be nice to see people shy away from pills and drugs to go about their day.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
I don't understand why any of it's needed if we have the possibility and funds to focus on better mental health.
Smoking weed is automatically synonymous with a mental health issue? Uh ...

Assuming I'm right about seeing a counselor at one of the facilities UA uses ... they use those physicians and counselors due to their specialties.
I don't want anyone having to use a crutch to feel good each day.
To each his own. That's a big assumption here with Ricks.
Probably more than you cared to hear or read, but it would be nice to see people shy away from pills and drugs to go about their day.
It doesn't bother me to read others views. But again, to each his own. I'm sure I lean much farther towards legalization, of a lot of things, than you and a lot here.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
@ElephantStomp

Follow me this for a second ...

Is this "no proof of insurance" versus "no insurance?"

If he didn't have insurance his insurer would have had to notify the state, correct? Then his license tag/registration would be suspended until proof of insurance is submitted. We'd have seen an additional charge, wouldn't we?

Not that it matters ... seems to me I remember hearing about someone who let their insurance lapse—absent-mindedly according to them, which I tend to believe—and they found out because their tag was 'ran' and came back with the registration flagged. 🤷‍♂️

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Smoking weed is automatically synonymous with a mental health issue? Uh ...

Assuming I'm right about seeing a counselor at one of the facilities UA uses ... they use those physicians and counselors due to their specialties.

To each his own. That's a big assumption here with Ricks.

It doesn't bother me to read others views. But again, to each his own. I'm sure I lean much farther towards legalization, of a lot of things, than you and a lot here.

No, I am not saying any of this pertaining to Ricks personally, just about all of society in general. And no, I'm not saying weed is linked to mental weakness at all. Just stating that I wish no one had to result to drugs to sooth their pain. You made a comment about coaches probably prefer weed over pills, and I simply stated I wish we could use mental health counselors to work on our guys so they don't automatically assume drugs are the answer to a healthy and painless lifestyle. Or even our science and conditioning program, fund them to find new therapies to work on guys. I ache from the rough life I've lived. I live with the pain because I'm not doping up and getting hooked on pills. I am working on stretching more, and working on those areas so the pain isn't there as much. I think instead of worrying about NIL and facilities to see who can fit the biggest TV and recliner in a locker room, we should be looking into the health of these guys after they give their all for our schools. The NFL needs to continue to lead the charge, especially after the concussion deal. It's more of a social issue to me than a financial one. We owe it to take care one another in my mind, not profit off the pain and misery.

As far as legalizing pot, my wife has convinced me it should be legalized. She is heavy in her faith and believe God put it on this planet for us to use. It's not like meth or cocaine where you have to alter its initial state to get a high, it's as pure as it is and helps (minus synthetics strains and such). Where I come in is that it is illegal though. Until the laws change, it's illegal. Legalization doesn't matter to me honestly, but I know if I was ever a victim of a crime due to it, I'd be after someone's ass better believe. if it was legal, I would be fine with that too and obviously nothing to say when a guy gets pulled over with it.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
We owe it to take care one another in my mind,
That's likely what was going to happen when he got where he was going. I'm assuming he's sitting back with some friends, unwinding, likely having a beer and a blunt. Self-therapy we all enjoy in one form or another.

Kicking up your feet, grabbing the remote, and not moving for a few minutes after work? Self therapy.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
That's likely what was going to happen when he got where he was going. I'm assuming he's sitting back with some friends, unwinding, likely having a beer and a blunt. Self-therapy we all enjoy in one form or another.

Kicking up your feet, grabbing the remote, and not moving for a few minutes after work? Self therapy.

Need that J though? Knowing what it could cost you. So does that mean he'll miss a couple games off the bat? I had high expectations from him this year after watching his career to this point.

ElephantStomp

Bama Club
Sorry, but I don't agree. Fines don't teach a lesson. You see it with white collar crime and blue collar crime. Fines stop no one. How much was Wells Fargo popped for the NSF charges they were putting on clients illegally? They have now moved to predatory lending and treating minorities/low credit scores different. They are still breaking the law even after historic SEC fines. Also as an example, I have been pulled over for speeding multiple times. I still speed every day. One thing I haven't done since I got caught and put in jail was drink and drive. Been over 17 years now since I learned that lesson the hard way and haven't done it since.

Since when are laws at officer discretion? You may not see it as worth your time, but when are laws at the discretion of an officer? So you're telling me if you have an agenda as a cop to pop everyone going 2 mph or more over the speed limit for say a time you got hit by a speeder or a family member did, it's ok for you to stop them over for speeding, but if a guy for a crime you personally don't care for like marijuana is carrying you could let him go every time and not be facing administrative discipline? That seems to be the mindset that puts us in a situation where you see white cops treating black defendants differently, but if it's up to their discretion is it really grounds to be fired just because it becomes a story on television?

On to another portion of this topic, I would be pissed off if a cop just towed a car of a driver driving around with zero insurance. Ever dealt with an accident or medical injury when the other driver isn't insured? And you think a tow truck fine is going to stop them? Lock their ass up and let them think about it for a few hours or days and let the court fine them before they decide to chance it again.

I get it, there are more horrible things going on in the world, but let's relate it to the steps the NCAA has taken towards this NIL deal. First you let these guys have free scholarships, all inclusive, great, deserved, worth it. Then you start paying them stipends. Then you start paying them to make good grades. Then you start funding trips for their families for bowl games. Then you start legally allowing them to get paid. Now we have coaches tampering with players from other teams and causing trouble as well as agents/handlers/boosters luring kids into school with their checkbooks. Give a mouse a cookie. The point of this is, you let the small to medium stuff go, and then it escalates to bigger and worse things. Atleast that's my two cents on the matter.
Speeding is also officer discretion. I can choose to write a ticket, verbal warning, written warning, and egregious enough jail. Every minor misdemeanor or traffic infraction is up to officer discretion. We don’t have to arrest or ticket for every infraction, every time.

Some white cops treat black people differently because of racism, no other reason.

ElephantStomp

Bama Club
@ElephantStomp

Follow me this for a second ...

Is this "no proof of insurance" versus "no insurance?"

If he didn't have insurance his insurer would have had to notify the state, correct? Then his license tag/registration would be suspended until proof of insurance is submitted. We'd have seen an additional charge, wouldn't we?

Not that it matters ... seems to me I remember hearing about someone who let their insurance lapse—absent-mindedly according to them, which I tend to believe—and they found out because their tag was 'ran' and came back with the registration flagged. 🤷‍♂️
I’m not sure how it is in other states, but here we don’t know insurance status until we make a stop and ask, so here there’s only a no proof of insurance. But, there are several states where your registration is flagged and as soon as law enforcement runs the tag it shows as no insurance

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
We don’t have to arrest or ticket for every infraction, every time.
Whether true or not, I don't know. It's said if you're pulled over by the South Carolina Highway Patrol you're getting a ticket. I've heard 'mandatory' suggested, and doubt it to be true.

I've never met, nor meet anyone who has met, someone who has been pulled by the SCHP without getting a ticket; of some sort.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Need that J though? Knowing what it could cost you. So does that mean he'll miss a couple games off the bat? I had high expectations from him this year after watching his career to this point.
Maybe a game.

you-gotta-be-careful-watch-out.gif

Davestwin

Sideline Club
Yeah, we do. Every situation is different: it can't be rubber stamped.

Let's remember, it was possession. If one was smoking when they were pulled over we'd see a DUI charge, not a simple possession charge.
Not me. And if Ricks later kills someone while speeding and possessing weed, I guess no one would say anything about the cop who had decided this particular time to give him a pass on possession and only cite him for speeding and no insurance? Yeah right. Come on … that’s not fair to cops … especially in today’s climate. We all know that cop would be crucified.

I freely admit I’m a bit jaded as I have several friends who are cops and they’ve had a very difficult job the past few years. It’s aged them well beyond their years and it’s made them feel extremely unappreciated and extremely vulnerable.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
And if Ricks later kills someone while speeding and possessing weed, I guess no one would say anything about the cop who had decided this particular time to give him a pass on possession and only cite him for speeding and no insurance?
He's not receiving a pass here.

How do you go from arrested for no insurance to killing someone? And it's not really an arrest as much as it an appearance for a photo.

Top Bottom