| FTBL Elias Ricks arrest resolution: guilty for speeding, marijuana charges dismissed.

bamafan9201

Sideline Club
I know this may not go over well here, speeding definitely bad...but he's not getting arrested for speeding. The other charge is bullshit...Marijuana is just not the drug people think it is. I don't even partake in it ever since I was a kid, mainly because I can't afford to have legal issues with the position I have right now. But, Marijuana should never be a good reason to give a kid a criminal record. Just seems stupid to me.

Edit: Just realized it was in Mississippi - that makes sense...probably realized he played for Bama and wanted to stick it to him.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
I know this may not go over well here, speeding definitely bad...but he's not getting arrested for speeding. The other charge is bullshit...Marijuana is just not the drug people think it is. I don't even partake in it ever since I was a kid, mainly because I can't afford to have legal issues with the position I have right now. But, Marijuana should never be a good reason to give a kid a criminal record. Just seems stupid to me.
But nobody is addressing the fact Ricks is 6'6!!!!!

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Arresting somebody for damn weed. Unless he was heavy, there’s no reason to arrest somebody, but it is in that backwards, hillbilly state of Mississippi

You're a freaking cop. It's against the law. No matter how petty, as citizens of this country and the states and counties we live in it's against the laws we are asked to abide by. Don't like it, move somewhere where it is legal, or rally and vote your prospective law changing politician into office. It's not bullshit to arrest someone for having illegal drugs on them on top of other offenses. How many offenses in the same stop until it's "ok to arrest them"? All you're doing is taking responsibility away from the idiot that knew it was illegal and still decided to carry it.

Yeah yeah, I get there are a million other worse things happening likely within five miles of this stop, but it still doesn't excuse someone from breaking the law no matter how petty people see it. Go read the story of that lady that killed two kids because she was speeding in California. We all speed every day and consider it a petty offense, until it kills a little kid or an innocent person and then of course we all act as if it's death penalty time.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Arresting somebody for damn weed. Unless he was heavy, there’s no reason to arrest somebody, but it is in that backwards, hillbilly state of Mississippi
There's no escaping driving without insurance. That's the "WTF are you thinking" question that bears repeating.

The weed, it's merely a headline. And everyone is jumping on "he was arrested for weed." There's no way he's going anywhere with no insurance. Car? Towed. I'd bet that's their biggest "money maker" when it comes to fines, restitution, and renewal. I know the insurance company is going to tack on top of his dues simply because it lapsed.

The weed, it's merely a headline.
It is THE headline ...

ElephantStomp

Bama Club
You're a freaking cop. It's against the law. No matter how petty, as citizens of this country and the states and counties we live in it's against the laws we are asked to abide by. Don't like it, move somewhere where it is legal, or rally and vote your prospective law changing politician into office. It's not bullshit to arrest someone for having illegal drugs on them on top of other offenses. How many offenses in the same stop until it's "ok to arrest them"? All you're doing is taking responsibility away from the idiot that knew it was illegal and still decided to carry it.

Yeah yeah, I get there are a million other worse things happening likely within five miles of this stop, but it still doesn't excuse someone from breaking the law no matter how petty people see it. Go read the story of that lady that killed two kids because she was speeding in California. We all speed every day and consider it a petty offense, until it kills a little kid or an innocent person and then of course we all act as if it's death penalty time.
Speeding (at a certain speed) and no insurance I can see
There's no escaping driving without insurance. That's the "WTF are you thinking" question that bears repeating.

The weed, it's merely a headline. And everyone is jumping on "he was arrested for weed." There's no way he's going anywhere with no insurance. Car? Towed. I'd bet that's their biggest "money maker" when it comes to fines, restitution, and renewal. I know the insurance company is going to tack on top of his dues simply because it lapsed.

It is THE headline ...
No insurance is the kicker, as is speeding. I’d have the vehicle towed, ticket for speed (depending how fast), no insurance ticket, and maybe ticket for weed (depending on amount).

ElephantStomp

Bama Club

It’s officer discretion, unless he was heavy on weed, I wouldn’t and haven’t arrested somebody for it. Speeding (depending on speed) I would, no insurance I would have vehicle towed and ticket. Not taking responsibility away from anybody, fines would suffice.

Davestwin

Sideline Club
If these young men are responsible enough to sign multi-million NIL deals then they should be responsible enough to not drive without insurance … and to definitely not speed while driving without insurance … and most certainly not to be smoking weed while speeding without insurance! Don’t blame the cop for this kid’s major lapse in judgment. The court’s can give him an out but we don’t want cops to be the ones to decide what constitutes an arrest do we? Their lives are hard enough as it is. I’d rather give them a break than an irresponsible athlete. You can bet if the cop let this slide and a week or a month later Rick’s killed someone while speeding and smoking weed the cries for the cop’s job would be deafening.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
The court’s can give him an out but we don’t want cops to be the ones to decide what constitutes an arrest do we?
Yeah, we do. Every situation is different: it can't be rubber stamped.

Let's remember, it was possession. If one was smoking when they were pulled over we'd see a DUI charge, not a simple possession charge.

Rolltide24

Century Club
Late night in Charlotte, the CMPD are notorious for checkpoints. Usually over half the tickets-arrests are driving without a license and/or without insurance. It’s one of those, if you haven’t renewed your license don’t go out driving at 1-2am. Same for insurance. Need to have your head checked.

Top Bottom