| FTBL Doug Marrone to be the Tide's new offensive line coach

Reaction score
SOURCE: Alabama special teams coordinator Jeff Banks is headed to #Texas to join Steve Sarkisian's staff as the asst. head coach/STC/tight ends coach. Banks also is a great recruiter and has strong Texas ties. Big addition for Sark.

Damn

Reaction score
saw this on the rant

quote:
Michael
@Mike4172
·
14m
Next 3 coaches to keep an eye on are Karl Scott, Charles Huff, and Holmon Wiggins. All have offers elsewhere.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
You know it seems like that Saban and Sark had a pretty straight up relationship. Sark would understand that if it is a lateral Saban would frown on it but if a true career opportunity he might be more open to enabling it. This does not have the feel of some dishonest back channel process but I am not an insider.

Last edited:

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Sark doesn't operate quite like Kirby and some others, despite what it sorta looks like. But, you also have to remember, these guys are adults and have their own decisions to make. Sometimes, many of those other things (like family, and a less strict working schedule/environment, outweigh loyalty). None of this was out of the blue to Saban. I'm a bit surprised at Banks strictly from what he brings to the table in recruiting, but there's other stuff involved with that too (besides getting a get a nice raise). There are other coaches who are still, and will continue to be, fielding offers. It could end up being a major staff overhaul again, but if so, that's ok. There will be zero shortages of guys that want in, and Saban will already have guys on the line that he wants (like Stoutland). If Golding leaves, it will be the same way.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
I think if Saban wants to keep someone like Banks he would make it happen. Create a title etc... to match Sark if he saw enough value. Banks may be a good or even great recruiter but that is the least of my worries under Saban. He seems to have done alright regardless of who has been on his coaching staff.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Probably so, but I don't think he was going to bother with a bidding war if it came down to that. But, while Alabama was undefeated this year, there's something else that's always undefeated too. In this case, that was also a draw for him to return to Texas. Bottom line, he came to UA as a very good recruiter, but Saban/UA made him elite. Same will do the same with a replacement.

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Not sure I am following what you are saying with what I highlighted. Oh I definitely agree with you about bidding war and Saban/UA makes a good recruiter great. They indeed have a great product to sell.

On Banks, if Saban saw his ceiling to be higher he would make it happen was my point. He would have made him an assistant HC or something else if he had the ceiling to contribute at that level. Tells me he does not see it that way and that he feels like he can replace the special teams and recruiting part that Banks played.

@50+yeartidefan should be happy that Banks is leaving.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
I understand the downside of losing great recruiters....Banks is one....
But they are but the arms of ns doing their due.... but still...excellent recruiter...
As far as ST coach.......nick may find one that can get right number of players on field...and be prepared for most anything ....
And Bamas history of assistants moving on ,....should tell any recruit...."i want youto come to bama...but I probably won't be there"

andfor assistants.....same for players..creating value for yourself..same game

Top Bottom