| FTBL Division dominance

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Didn't want to bogart the Dan Mullen throwing shade thread.

Reading through, it got me to thinking about the coaches in the Eastern Division. After the 90's dominance of Spurrier's Gators. The conference sort of shifted around who was the best team from year to year. It seemed as though the east was the best division, largely in part to Spurrier and his decade of dominance. Then the early 2000's hit and Saban got to LSU and started them on a pretty good run, that he (Saban) stopped once he got things rolling at Bama.

Looking over the last 15+ years of SEC divisions, it seems as though we have swapped which division was best. East would run, then the west, Urban had some great teams for a while at UF. It seems since Saban got to Alabama, that the west has been the best division. Auburn had a couple of good years, LSU was pretty stout, the Manziel teams at aTm made a little noise. Even Arkansas was in the running with Petrino.

Looks like the east might be poised to make a run at dominance if things line up correctly. Obviously Kirby has things going for UGA and look to be the king in the East for the time being. Mullen has seemed to break through and is starting to get the top notch talent in Florida to stay home and represent. If Pruitt can keep Phat Phil from trying a coup to take back over, he will probably be making noise in another year. Do you see the east taking back over and being the big match-ups to win the SEC. UF vs UT........UF vs UGA .........UT vs UGA. Even USCe will possibly have enough talent with a senior laden team every 3 to 4 years to upset some folks.

Outside Saban in the west, who else is there? Jimbo. I think if Saban retires in a few years, Jimbo could win the west regularly. I think it, who we hire to replace "The King" will play a part in that as well.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Didn't want to bogart the Dan Mullen throwing shade thread.

Reading through, it got me to thinking about the coaches in the Eastern Division. After the 90's dominance of Spurrier's Gators. The conference sort of shifted around who was the best team from year to year. It seemed as though the east was the best division, largely in part to Spurrier and his decade of dominance. Then the early 2000's hit and Saban got to LSU and started them on a pretty good run, that he (Saban) stopped once he got things rolling at Bama.

Looking over the last 15+ years of SEC divisions, it seems as though we have swapped which division was best. East would run, then the west, Urban had some great teams for a while at UF. It seems since Saban got to Alabama, that the west has been the best division. Auburn had a couple of good years, LSU was pretty stout, the Manziel teams at aTm made a little noise. Even Arkansas was in the running with Petrino.

Looks like the east might be poised to make a run at dominance if things line up correctly. Obviously Kirby has things going for UGA and look to be the king in the East for the time being. Mullen has seemed to break through and is starting to get the top notch talent in Florida to stay home and represent. If Pruitt can keep Phat Phil from trying a coup to take back over, he will probably be making noise in another year. Do you see the east taking back over and being the big match-ups to win the SEC. UF vs UT........UF vs UGA .........UT vs UGA. Even USCe will possibly have enough talent with a senior laden team every 3 to 4 years to upset some folks.

Outside Saban in the west, who else is there? Jimbo. I think if Saban retires in a few years, Jimbo could win the west regularly. I think it, who we hire to replace "The King" will play a part in that as well.
Don't sell the West too short there. I agree that the East had the super teams with Spurrier and Meyers. Tennessee was the second best team through the ole ball coach reign. They both won at least a natty. Georgia was pretty good but no title.

The West has 3 teams that have won titles and not for incredible dominance of Alabama, LSU might have gotten to superstar status. Maybe they did and I don't want to admit it. Even so, they still won 2 titles this century and their run looks better to me than the vols with Fulmer. I don't see any of the 3 title winners going anywhere as football programs regardless of the East. A&M, people can doubt at their own risk, they look a lot closer to a title than Tenn or Florida right now to me.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Both have really good teams. Its the bottom!/middle that gets the west over east.
East with ky. USCe and vandy
West with msu. Ole ms and ark
The westteams are competitive. The east are rarely competitive

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
Florida dominated their division and conference for a few years. But, I don't agree that the East was a dominant division. It was one team. When UGA has had the upper hand, it's one team. On the other hand, the West has dominated over the last several years led by Alabama, but also including LSU and Auburn. These teams beat each other up within the division but also beat any team they play from the East (for the most part).

rammerjammer

Gump 4ever
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Florida dominated their division and conference for a few years. But, I don't agree that the East was a dominant division. It was one team. When UGA has had the upper hand, it's one team. On the other hand, the West has dominated over the last several years led by Alabama, but also including LSU and Auburn. These teams beat each other up within the division but also beat any team they play from the East (for the most part).

I can kind of see that. I remember the UF of the 90's that was like Alabama is today. The east was a tough division through out the 90's, but it was always one team on top. UF in the early 90's followed by UT for about a 4-5 year stretch, followed by a very good Richt UGA in the early 2000s.

I do remember, the UF/UT games being the premier early season SEC match up. It was a lot like the LSU/UA games early on with Miles/Saban going at it. (We have since, put that to bed).

I still think the East is poised to make a pretty good run (if everything lines up) with the 3 coaches at the eastern division power houses. (UF, UGA, UT)

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
I can kind of see that. I remember the UF of the 90's that was like Alabama is today. The east was a tough division through out the 90's, but it was always one team on top. UF in the early 90's followed by UT for about a 4-5 year stretch, followed by a very good Richt UGA in the early 2000s.

I do remember, the UF/UT games being the premier early season SEC match up. It was a lot like the LSU/UA games early on with Miles/Saban going at it. (We have since, put that to bed).

I still think the East is poised to make a pretty good run (if everything lines up) with the 3 coaches at the eastern division power houses. (UF, UGA, UT)
3 coaches....really...say 2 and one ( not cranking on him) yet to prove himself with a bad situation ....the TN situation is really bad...if he can turn that program around...
He is a miracle worker...

jdpas29

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Florida's reign in the 90's is the only thing I see that compares to what Alabama has done in the SEC. There is more parity now between all of the teams so I don't think we will see these kind of runs as often as in the past... but, then again, I didn't think Alabama would be able to have the type dominance that we've seen.

Overall, the east does seem to be developing more teams toward dominance as the west slides a bit at LSU, Arky, and tamu is up in the air. Barn is maybe starting on a slide? UGA, UF, UT and even UK seem to be progressing well. Don't forget the Mizzou bunch whose defense punched our team in the mouth last season.

50+yeartidefan

Bama Club
Reaction score
Florida's reign in the 90's is the only thing I see that compares to what Alabama has done in the SEC. There is more parity now between all of the teams so I don't think we will see these kind of runs as often as in the past... but, then again, I didn't think Alabama would be able to have the type dominance that we've seen.

Overall, the east does seem to be developing more teams toward dominance as the west slides a bit at LSU, Arky, and tamu is up in the air. Barn is maybe starting on a slide? UGA, UF, UT and even UK seem to be progressing well. Don't forget the Mizzou bunch whose defense punched our team in the mouth last season.
Of course. There was a time before divisions and Bama( sorta anyway) had that kinda run in 60s and 70s...

Top Bottom