| FTBL Did Tua need us more than we need him?

tide92

Sideline Club
Reaction score
We are doing great with Mac, but would Tua have benefited from another year at BAMA - especially coming off such a serious injury? Or, does he just need time to adjust to the NFL (and time to pass)?

mando

Sideline Club
Reaction score
He needs an OL that will give him time. Also, needs more time to gain experience and adjust to the NFL. Nothing unexpected at least for me.

To me the only reason that made sense for Tua coming back to bama this year would have been issues related to the injury.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
There's always the depth chart traffic jam that occurs when someone unexpectedly returns in a talent loaded position. I was a little concerned about Najee's return and the impact on our other guys, but it's going well.

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
The Dolphins picked #5 because they weren't a good team in 2019. Adding one or two guys doesn't change that.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Reaction score
If he can stay healthy, he'll be fine. Miami will get both of the Houston's 1st 2 picks in the draft to go along with their own, that's going to mean 3 top 40 picks most likely. It will be a very deep WR draft, and the Dolphins will need to grab at least 1 early.

Crtuneman

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Also he had much better receivers at Alabama than he has at Miami. Justin Herbert is doing well because he has Keenan Allen, one of the top receivers in the NFL, to throw to. Joe Burrow has Tyler Boyd and AJ Green. Tua needs an elite receiver and a competent OL. Right now his best target is a 3rd year TE whose beast season was 51 catches for 500 yards and 5 TDs.

Rolltide24

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
Good topic. I don’t watch much NFL, do the Chargers and Bengals have that much better of an O line?

Herbert and Burrow have been airing it out. Everyone gets there at a different pace. I think it was the best move for him and us. And for Mac... He may not be 100% confident in his leg, who knows. He’s sure not throwing it downfield like he did the last 2 years.

Crimson&WhiteGecko

Verified Member
Century Club
Reaction score
The issues of Miami besides the OL & WR is the fact that Tua is, self-admittedly, holding on the ball too long. I think he got benched for that very reason especially considering the context of his injuries. It was a brilliant move by his HC to send him that message... what good are to us hurt so have a seat son & think on that.

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
Reaction score
I remember. A while back. A QB just coming into the league was asked...after a half season or so...what ws biggest difference between the nfl and cf. he said. In college somebody somewhere is open. Find em. Get them the ball. In nfl. Nobody is open. And you still have to get someone the ball ( or something to that degree)

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
IMO Tua did not need to come back for another year of college ball. Others in this thread have remarked on OL and WRs and that is all true. I think he is getting exactly what he needs. Some “seasoning” at the NFL level. His penchant for holding the ball too long is a habit that is going to either get worked out or cost him his longevity in a career

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Stoooooooooop - He's a rookie coming off a SERIOUS hip injury with NO pre season reps or game to even prepare for all this.

If not for Tua, Bama doesn't win it's last Championship and loses to UGA and Kirby Smart. Who needed who?!?

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Reaction score
He was picked #5. If you look at the risk versus reward, the decision to stay or go becomes clear. He could only move up four slots, or more likely three with Trevor at Clemson.

tide92

Sideline Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
The question was not in regard to the past. The question was whether he would have benefited more by coming back this year. There hasn’t been a drop off in the QB play with Mac, so it doesn’t seem as though we really need him as much as he may have needed another year of experience after his injury.

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Please, Log in or Register to view quote(s).
Gotcha.

Another year may have gotten him to the Jets or Giants... Which could have been an even bigger disaster!

Let's keep it real, aside from like 3 games in 2 years, he did not looked challenged as the QB at UA. He would have dominated the same way Mac has which is the same think he had already proven.

Ultimately the injury and lack of pre season has him behind. He will catch up. Another year at UA might have given him the chance to be perfectly healthy as he entered the draft (or the opposite), but in terms of challenging and improving his skill set, what else could he have proven?

JMO

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Don't forget they are limiting play calling for him from what I have heard. They are bringing him along slowly and I think it hurts him and the team when they are forced to play from behind when he is forced to run plays he isn't accustomed to. His stats aren't great, but not turning the ball over has shown that those stats can win games when the opponent isn't given extra possessions. He's gonna be ok in my mind. He still loves the slants and will keep winning with them.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Reaction score
Also, he was prone to try to make something out of every play, from the awesome spin move against Vandy, the great first down run in the NC game, to the mistake in overtime that resulted in 2 and 26, the delayed throw against Louisville that hurt him and then finally the drawn out play that took his hip against State. Those progressions must get quicker in the pro game. Live or die.

Top Bottom